SLK as second (Non daily commuter) car?

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
My seat in my driving position and the passenger seat set for " 'er indoors " The seats will go back further but as they do the seat backs progress to vertical.

Drivers side.jpg drivers side 2.jpg passenger side.jpg

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Anyone ever seen the Scotty Kilmer car videos on YouTube? They’re very good and very funny. But he absolutely hates and slates Mercs and BMs. He calls them ‘Money Pits’ . One of the reasons he claims them to be so expensive over time is the fact of over 80 separate computer components compared to Toyotas and Japanese. He acknowledges the quality interiors and safety etc but seems to think ownership is a costly nightmare. I really like the SLK R172s but this costly repair issue is a bit scary. But I’m wondering a) Is that the experience of other late model SLK owners here (13/14/15) Reg? B) Is it something I shouldn’t worry to much about as it will be a second (weekend, runs out) car?
We have had two 171 200K's, the first a 2004 did 90K miles nothing went wrong. Currently we have a 2010 one with 44K miles, & nothing has gone wrong. So in our cases both very reliable.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Anyone ever seen the Scotty Kilmer car videos on YouTube? They’re very good and very funny.
Can't stand the guy. Too shouty and too much opinion not backed by enough research.
A bit like that Australian waste of space John Cadogan.

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
If I was you Tim, I wouldn't worry about what could happen. Take one out for a drive, and if you like it, buy it. I was pondering whether to buy an SL350, but when this came up, it was a really hard choice between the SL and the SLK55. I'm actually rather glad I went for the SLK as it goes like stink.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Should have asked you to talk to my wife, she banned me from looking for an SLK55 as too powerful/fast:(:(

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Should have asked you to talk to my wife, she banned me from looking for an SLK55 as too powerful/fast:(:(

Yeah, I would have the same issues. She often sits there and says 'If I were a policeman I nick you' :rolleyes:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Can't stand the guy. Too shouty and too much opinion not backed by enough research.

Agree on both counts....and many of the other USA channels where they seem to think that shouting at the viewer is the way to go.

Last edited:

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500

Agreed, I used to watch some of his videos but not any more. He could have some good stuff, but for me the format is all wrong. Some guy said he could broadcast 3 or 4 videos a day on YouTube so obviously more about quantity than quality.

Some of the channels like are:

* https://www.youtube.com/user/Mercedessource
* https://www.youtube.com/legitstreetcars
* (Entertainment value) Hoovies Garage
* (General motoring, but he does have an SL 55 project) Tavarish
* I've also started to appreciate Sarah -n- Tuned, mainly because she is has her own garage and works on cool stuff - a situation I would dream of. That said, I think she overplays her feminism and there is a touch of the whole sex sells element, which I think is a little trashy, but whatever. (Cue comments mocking me.. lol)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Agreed, I used to watch some of his videos but not any more. He could have some good stuff, but for me the format is all wrong. Some guy said he could broadcast 3 or 4 videos a day on YouTube so obviously more about quantity than quality.

Some of the channels like are:

* https://www.youtube.com/user/Mercedessource
* https://www.youtube.com/legitstreetcars
* (Entertainment value) Hoovies Garage
* (General motoring, but he does have an SL 55 project) Tavarish
* I've also started to appreciate Sarah -n- Tuned, mainly because she is has her own garage and works on cool stuff - a situation I would dream of. That said, I think she overplays her feminism and there is a touch of the whole sex sells element, which I think is a little trashy, but whatever. (Cue comments mocking me.. lol)

I tend yo watch 'Harry's Garage' and 'Jay Leno' mostly. There are a few others that I watch selected items on but only after the Wife has gone to bed. Up to then I'm subjected to endless soaps :(:eek:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I tend yo watch 'Harry's Garage' and 'Jay Leno' mostly. There are a few others that I watch selected items on but only after the Wife has gone to bed. Up to then I'm subjected to endless soaps :(:eek:
Likewise....

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I’m new to this folks, so is it normal to have these non-related private conversations on my thread?
I feel your pain buddy, I’ve never done it myself :rolleyes:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom