CL500 (c216) o2 sensor question

funkstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 C216
Hi all, my first post here!

My CL500 2009 has a check engine light - a simple ODB reader has shown it to be a P2626 fault - o2 sensor.

Every local independent to me (Essex) wants £100 diagnosis fee, £150 labour, and £200 for a single o2 sensor. This seems unreasonable for a Bosch part sold by EuroCarParts for £60!

Question - should I get the car in to a more reasonable local independent and supply them the part? I see no reason why any mechanic couldn't replace an o2 sensor.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

My CL500 2009 has a check engine light - a simple ODB reader has shown it to be a P2626 fault - o2 sensor.

Every local independent to me (Essex) wants £100 diagnosis fee, £150 labour, and £200 for a single o2 sensor. This seems unreasonable for a Bosch part sold by EuroCarParts for £60!

Question - should I get the car in to a more reasonable local independent and supply them the part? I see no reason why any mechanic couldn't replace an o2 sensor.
I changed my E class diesels O2 sensor early this year , £75 part with no issues . Any garage could have and does do it .
The only thing to mention is that some of the newer diesels may need some diagnostic work with MB Star if O2 sensors are replaced ??
Im sure your local general garage can advise accordingly

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I changed my E class diesels O2 sensor early this year , £75 part with no issues . Any garage could have and does do it .
The only thing to mention is that some of the newer diesels may need some diagnostic work with MB Star if O2 sensors are replaced ??
Im sure your local general garage can advise accordingly
It's a petrol Wighty. Much simpler to do and with fewer software updates than those dirty diseasels....

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180

Have a look on youtube and you may well be able to change it yourself. If its a 4 wire sensor you can check the heater circuit with a multi-meter the two wires the same colour should read just a few ohms and infinity if its gone.
You can buy a special socket for changing but if your sure it's faulty just chop the lead off and use an ordinary socket to remove and an open ended to install.
Good luck.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have a look on youtube and you may well be able to change it yourself. If its a 4 wire sensor you can check the heater circuit with a multi-meter the two wires the same colour should read just a few ohms and infinity if its gone.
You can buy a special socket for changing but if your sure it's faulty just chop the lead off and use an ordinary socket to remove and an open ended to install.
Good luck.
Or just slide a ring spanner down over the cable.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It's a petrol Wighty. Much simpler to do and with fewer software updates than those dirty diseasels....
I was covering myself a bit , by hinting that maybe some form of “Star thingy” may be required :rolleyes: . Good news for the op though :D

OP
F

funkstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 C216
Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciated.

The fault was P2626, which appears to be "oxygen sensor number 1 pumping current trim circuit for bank 1", so the pre cat o2 sensor, as far as I can tell (and checking my reg online) means it's this o2 sensor:

https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/bosch/1149475

OP
F

funkstar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 C216
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I think in this instance I will get a local mechanic to do it, mainly as I don't have a jack / ramp but also it's too cold to be under a car right now!

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Thanks for the advice. I think in this instance I will get a local mechanic to do it, mainly as I don't have a jack / ramp but also it's too cold to be under a car right now!
If its the pre-cat you probably can get at it from below the bonnet.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom