HELP! SL600 - Unable to open boot

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Guys,
Need your help...I've parked up my car for the winter, so both batteries disconnected etc.
I had shut the boot previously and as per the manual, used the key inside the fob and it worked with no issues....but this time round nothing happens...tried many times and the boot stays locked.

I assume the boot battery feeds the fuse panel behind the drivers seat. If so is there a fuse/circuit that feeds the boot mechanism as I was thinking of just getting a live feed to it and opening it that way?

Possible?

Your expertise would be sorely welcome as otherwise I'll get my jigsaw primed and ready for that hole in the top of the boot lid... ;-)

Paul

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Duplicate thread as not sure what areas to put it...

Guys,
Need your help...I've parked up my car for the winter, so both batteries disconnected etc.
I had shut the boot previously and as per the manual, used the key inside the fob and it worked with no issues....but this time round nothing happens...tried many times and the boot stays locked.

I assume the boot battery feeds the fuse panel behind the drivers seat. If so is there a fuse/circuit that feeds the boot mechanism as I was thinking of just getting a live feed to it and opening it that way?

Possible?

Your expertise would be sorely welcome as otherwise I'll get my jigsaw primed and ready for that hole in the top of the boot lid... ;-)

Paul

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The metal key inside the fob should still release the boot lock even with the batteries disconnected.

I'd spray the lock liberally with a silicon spray and keep working the key back and forth until the lock opens.
IIRC on my last W211, the lock button has to be pushed at the same time the key is turned to release the lock.
Maybe worth a try?

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Many thanks...will try anything...its just strange as last time I just had to turn it 1/4 turn then pull the lever and that's it...pain the the a*se...
Paul

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i had sl600 think its 1/4 turn and push ,, keep well lubed !

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200 Estate 2011, 2009 SLK 200
Hi may not be helpful as I do not know about the SL, but my car has a manual boot lock as well and if locked with a key will not open until it is unlocked with the key. Also if you are talking about opening with the battery connected, on some SLs the wires that run to the boot get frayed or broken by the opening and closing of the boot. As I said, probly of no use, but as no one has aswered I thought I would mention this.

Also this may help (Yes I know you said BOOT)

Also PARTS of this video may be useful.

I hope that is is not like the old SLK where the PSE pump sits in a foam case and fills will water over time.

Last edited:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yes, on the R230 SL, which I assume you have, a metal key unclips from the remote and allows you to open the boot manually, to get at the battery. Sometimes the lock gets gummed up, so you may need a squirt of WD40 up the hole.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Yes, as per your other thread, just squirt some WD40 up the hole, and keep it well lubed.

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Hi may not be helpful as I do not know about the SL, but my car has a manual boot lock as well and if locked with a key will not open until it is unlocked with the key. Also if you are talking about opening with the battery connected, on some SLs the wires that run to the boot get frayed or broken by the opening and closing of the boot. As I said, probly of no use, but as no one has aswered I thought I would mention this.

Also this may help (Yes I know you said BOOT)

Also PARTS of this video may be useful.

I hope that is is not like the old SLK where the PSE pump sits in a foam case and fills will water over time.

Cheers... but the metal key moves freely in the lock just nothing happens with the lever...

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Yes, on the R230 SL, which I assume you have, a metal key unclips from the remote and allows you to open the boot manually, to get at the battery. Sometimes the lock gets gummed up, so you may need a squirt of WD40 up the hole.

Yeah tried that...my best bet is working out where the feed to the electric unlock mechanism comes form and seeing if I can get a live feed to that circuit...

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yeah tried that...my best bet is working out where the feed to the electric unlock mechanism comes form and seeing if I can get a live feed to that circuit...

One of the videos above shows the fuse and feed to the lock, but I suppose you have looked at that. I do not think that the actual lock is electric but pneumatic, but I suppose you know that, so the pse pump need s the power, but it is strange that the manual lock does not work as that would be..... well manual and not need power.
lock.jpg

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
One of the videos above shows the fuse and feed to the lock, but I suppose you have looked at that. I do not think that the actual lock is electric but pneumatic, but I suppose you know that, so the pse pump need s the power, but it is strange that the manual lock does not work as that would be..... well manual and not need power.
View attachment 54851

Yes apologies...I know its pneumatic... do you have a link to that video?

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The boot lock works from the PSE pump and is pneumatic not electric so you will need to get power to the PSE. On the R230 SL it is advisable not to disconnect the batteries as it can cause a whole load of issues if both batteries are disconnected for any length of time.

If all else fails there is a way to get to the locking mechanism by drilling a whole in a specific location behind the rear number plate. A google search should bring up some details.

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes apologies...I know its pneumatic... do you have a link to that video?

Just click on the picture in the post above and you should go there.

But surely the manual lock should open without electric or PSE pump unless the link is broken or the lock barrel is.

See photo on the above post.

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Just click on the picture in the post above and you should go there.

But surely the manual lock should open without electric or PSE pump unless the link is broken or the lock barrel is.

See photo on the above post.

Hi,

Just click on the picture in the post above and you should go there....just enlarges the photo...no link..??

As I mentioned at the beginning...yes this worked first time I did it a few weeks ago...but now...nothing...the key can turn 1/4 left and 1/4 right with no effect on the release lever....

as you say possible linkage may have come adrift somehow...

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,

Just click on the picture in the post above and you should go there....just enlarges the photo...no link..??

As I mentioned at the beginning...yes this worked first time I did it a few weeks ago...but now...nothing...the key can turn 1/4 left and 1/4 right with no effect on the release lever....

as you say possible linkage may have come adrift somehow...

Starnge the vid does play as Ii have just done it. The thing is if I put the link on again it will just load the vid and not just give the web page

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Lateral thinking is required......
Try opening the car using the key. Open the bonnet. Connect the battery and start the car. Operate the internal boot release. Boot should open as it now has a 12v supply from the alternator.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Paul the symptom of a bunged up lock is that the key will make a 1/4 of a turn with seemingly no resistance and nothing happening. Trust me, I have experienced this. Please do not start drilling holes !!! Maybe ask a reputable Mercedes Independent to come and have a look at it if there is one nearby. It is a great car, by the way.

John77

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just tried to send you the weblink by conversation, but again just adds the vid. On the lock, the ball has probaly popped out of the socket.

lock.jpg

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Paul the symptom of a bunged up lock is that the key will make a 1/4 of a turn with seemingly no resistance and nothing happening. Trust me, I have experienced this. Please do not start drilling holes !!! Maybe ask a reputable Mercedes Independent to come and have a look at it if there is one nearby. It is a great car, by the way.
Many thanks..I'll get the WD40 out and give it another go.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom