Smart Forfour

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I know a few of you have experience of Smart cars and my daughter is looking for a car and quite likes the look of the Forfour.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when seeking them out? Any known faults?

Also what are the important options? From what I can see, the Proxy all come with SatNav & bluetooth etc. and they seem to be pretty well equipped safety-wise, with ABS, ESP, Airbags & the same NCAP as the C-class!

I'd appreciate any advice you Smart-types can offer.

Thanks
Steve

OP
C

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
Yes, another car.......................... :eek:

That was my first thought, but it will be primarily a city car; 95% of her driving will be local with very occasional dual carriageway or motorway.

As I say, the same NCAP score as a C-class gives me some comfort.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
What age ForFour are you looking at?

Igonre @RhodiBill he changes his car more often than most change their knickers... :rolleyes:
He also had an original Smart so nothing like the last ones or the new ones

OP
C

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
What age ForFour are you looking at?

Igonre @RhodiBill he changes his car more often than most change their knickers... :rolleyes:
He also had an original Smart so nothing like the last ones or the new ones

Probably 3 or 4 years old judging by the cost of them on Autotrader. I had a look at one at Mercedes Leeds, but it was tatty and tired.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Probably 3 or 4 years old judging by the cost of them on Autotrader. I had a look at one at Mercedes Leeds, but it was tatty and tired.
I went to Smart Manchester for my ForTwo, really good lot to deal with and gave me an amazing deal on a 1 year old car (0% and 3 years free servicing). Not sure what deals or cars they have but it's well worth a look at their stock.

I'd definitely have another (technically I still have mine but my eldest has it now) but only the ForTwo as I like the small 2 door, 2 seater convertibles.

OP
C

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I went to Smart Manchester for my ForTwo, really good lot to deal with and gave me an amazing deal on a 1 year old car (0% and 3 years free servicing). Not sure what deals or cars they have but it's well worth a look at their stock.

I'd definitely have another (technically I still have mine but my eldest has it now) but only the ForTwo as I like the small 2 door, 2 seater convertibles.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at Smart Manchester. It may be worth looking at a 1yr old if the deal is right. Although being a girl, the colour will be more important than anything else (there, I said it!).

And whilst it isn't the bigest issue, the pre-2017 models are £0 RFL, but the 2017 onwards are £125.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I don't know what the later models are like but I had the dubious pleasure of driving one back in the very late 90's and I thought it was dreadful. It vibrated like d***o and the gearchanges were very snatchy. If the engine had any power it would have torn the seat right out of your trousers. Hopefully they are a lot better now. :rolleyes:

OP
C

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
I don't know what the later models are like but I had the dubious pleasure of driving one back in the very late 90's and I thought it was dreadful. It vibrated like d***o and the gearchanges were very snatchy. If the engine had any power it would have torn the seat right out of your trousers. Hopefully they are a lot better now. :rolleyes:

As I understand it there was a hiatus in the production between those older models and the new ones and there seem to be few similarities. That said, neither she nor I have driven one yet, and that's obviously going to be the deciding factor. Otherwise, it's likely to be a Polo or a Fabia.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
As I understand it there was a hiatus in the production between those older models and the new ones and there seem to be few similarities. That said, neither she nor I have driven one yet, and that's obviously going to be the deciding factor. Otherwise, it's likely to be a Polo or a Fabia.

For me ? ………. Polo :) Big fan of the VW product, I know that Skoda is still VW but I prefer the pure VW product :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
For me ? ………. Polo :) Big fan of the VW product, I know that Skoda is still VW but I prefer the pure VW product :)
Until you need a new headlight...
Smart's are fun and make you feel good whilst driving them, if that doesn't dump your truck then I'd go for a Fabia over a Polo everyday of the week

OP
C

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400

Me too, but it's her money and her choice, albeit with some advice. That said, we had a sit in several Polos and several Fabias and there's very little difference. I had an Octavia 6 years ago and I'd say it wasn't far off the Golf at the time.

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Yes correct I did have and old one, a "Y" Reg LHD, (they were all LHD back then & made in France) but I only paid a couple of hundred for it as I had helped to previous owner out and she let me have it cheap as she had no further use for it.

I really liked it to be honest but it had 97 thousand odd miles and was really tired! Embarrassingly so! On the level it was fine but a whiff of an incline and I was lucky to get 30! The only redeeming factor was that I sold it for over twice what I paid.... :D:cool: It looked nicer than it went...lol.

niXEROR.jpg

But getting back to the ForFour I have known a few people that owned them and they had nothing but trouble..... One was evenm collected by Silverlake!
This was a few years ago now and they were all around the 2006/7 Models.

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Completely different car - cloned as the Renault Twingo. Top of the range has a turbo triple Renault engine and a dual clutch gearbox.
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/smart/forfour-2014/

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes correct I did have and old one, a "Y" Reg LHD, (they were all LHD back then & made in France) but I only paid a couple of hundred for it as I had helped to previous owner out and she let me have it cheap as she had no further use for it.

I really liked it to be honest but it had 97 thousand odd miles and was really tired! Embarrassingly so! On the level it was fine but a whiff of an incline and I was lucky to get 30! The only redeeming factor was that I sold it for over twice what I paid.... :D:cool: It looked nicer than it went...lol.

niXEROR.jpg

But getting back to the ForFour I have known a few people that owned them and they had nothing but trouble..... One was evenm collected by Silverlake!
This was a few years ago now and they were all around the 2006/7 Models.
The 2006/07 ForFour models were Mitsubishi and not nice at all

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If the OP is looking at approved used, get on the MB website and look at thier used cars.
The way the car market is at the moment I am sure you could drive a hell of a bargain to get one off thier forecourt esp if you are willing to travel a bit to look at a few.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If the OP is looking at approved used, get on the MB website and look at thier used cars.
The way the car market is at the moment I am sure you could drive a hell of a bargain to get one off thier forecourt esp if you are willing to travel a bit to look at a few.
That’s exactly what I did when I bought mine from Manchester. The deal was too good not to

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom