2003 CLK Convertible steering

JBM5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 E320i Avantgarde with all the toys
My CLK 320 convertible steering is stiffer than it used to be and no longer self centres when I'm driving. I've changed the fluid a few times by sucking the old fluid from the reservoir and filling with fresh Pentosin CHF 11S.
Tyre pressures have been increased to 5psi above the recommended pressure, this did make a slight difference.
All 4 track control arms have been replaced in the last 2 years and I'm wondering if the bushes are very tight or poor quality?. Any info or light on this would be really appreciated. Cheers

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
My CLK 320 convertible steering is stiffer than it used to be and no longer self centres when I'm driving. I've changed the fluid a few times by sucking the old fluid from the reservoir and filling with fresh Pentosin CHF 11S.
Tyre pressures have been increased to 5psi above the recommended pressure, this did make a slight difference.
All 4 track control arms have been replaced in the last 2 years and I'm wondering if the bushes are very tight or poor quality?. Any info or light on this would be really appreciated. Cheers
What are the tyre pressures now buddy?

OP
JBM5

JBM5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What are the tyre pressures now buddy?
I've over inflated the front tyres to 35 psi. Its made a small improvement but theres still an obvious fault.

OP
JBM5

JBM5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hydraulic pump pressure?
Hi, yes possibly, but apart from just buying a new pump I suppose theres no real way of testing this?
I'm going to raise the front and disconnect the track rod ends and first check that there is good movement in the suspension leg and that its not overly stiff to turn.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Ditto for steering pump as first suspect.
Presume belt is not slipping?

OP
JBM5

JBM5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ditto for steering pump as first suspect.
Presume belt is not slipping?
I'm supposing the pump is quite probable. It sounds as though it is doing its job. The belt is quite a fresh one and is tight fitting so I discarded that idea early on. Its the tight feeling as its driven that makes me think something is binding. You can set the steering at an angle and let go of the steering wheel and it just stays at that angle, like I said as if something is overly tight.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I'm supposing the pump is quite probable. It sounds as though it is doing its job. The belt is quite a fresh one and is tight fitting so I discarded that idea early on. Its the tight feeling as its driven that makes me think something is binding. You can set the steering at an angle and let go of the steering wheel and it just stays at that angle, like I said as if something is overly tight.

Hmm. Something other than the pump, then. It would still self-center even if the pump was failing.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Try jacking the front of the car off the ground.
Engine off turn the wheel full left and right to check for tight spots. Repeat engine on.
If tight spots are present engine on but not engine off its an hydraulic problem.
If present under both it's a physical linkage issue.
If linkages check the column joints - spray universal joints (if present) with copious WD40.
Disconnect steering damper and see if that fixes it. Disconnect linkage from steering box - if still tight spots steering box or column is the issue. After that you're into checking every other linkage to the wheels.

OP
JBM5

JBM5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you all for the ideas, its going to be a process of elimination to find the route cause.
I'll post back with my findings as soon as I have them.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom