iCarsoft MBii Software & Review

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
While I value some of the basics of what my iCarsoft diagnostics tells me, especially regarding error codes, etc, I do have some unfortunate frustrations with the kit.
It is great for telling one what is going wrong or right before you start the car, the battery voltage test on the front screen has been highly useful recently. The diagnostics has also been extremely useful in showing up any glitches or major failures. Especially as I now know I have intermittent faults with either three glow plugs, their wiring loom or both.
Where the kit frustrates me is when there are values I know nothing about and as an engineer I am used to seeing a range given as well as the value. Plus, on some values given there is no indication as to what it is measuring, I.e pressure, temperature, wind speed through a sensor, etc, and therefore I cannot determine whether what I am seeing is good or bad. I must admit that I have been meaning to feed this back to iCarsoft however my last email to them seemed to fall on deaf ears. If anyone has an email address they 'Do' read, please do reply with it.
I'm also, as a more modern engineer, finding the software somewhat clunky and that I cannot watch say two data items at the same time. I.e. Battery voltage while also looking to see why the car will not start.
Saying all this though, it Was money well invested last year and is better than being completely in the blind about what is going on. It does give some really useful data and shows one where to look for possible solutions to car problems. I will be keeping hold of mine but only until I can justify getting the next best. Having already discussed options with another well respected forum member.
The 'Carly' system or the iCarsoft equivalent will be my next move forward. Then my iCarsoft will be up for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W245207

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W245 B180 CDi 2005
What you pay is what you get. Many things I don't like about it but I can't justify for an Autel or Xentry. Like any diagnostic tool, an experienced professional will get the most out from iCarsoft than a novice.

In data section of Engine control unit, there are various sections to help you with diagnostic. 'Unable to start', it will list only those parameters are relevant for example engine rpm, battery voltage etc.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The dongles are pretty pricey given they don't come with software.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hi @NBurns

Great post and I am inclined to agree with it all.

Ultimately, I am happy with the tool and at the price paid, ~£165, I am willing to put up with the clunky UI etc. It is dead handy to have in the glove box.

Were you conversations with "other member" PM, or is there a thread? I am super keen to try out something like Carly or there is also https://AutoPi.io

Down the line, I can see my setup being:

* iCarsoft sit in R230 glovebox as it is probably the most temperamental / complicated.
* Chinese Star laptop at home
* Some other dongle for the E class (see above).

So the AutoPilot looks like a cool toy for power users.. but the Carly is probably fit for purpose, likely easier to use and cheaper.

We should pick up a few of these and have a shootout to compare.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi @NBurns

Ultimately, I am happy with the tool and at the price paid, ~£165, I am willing to put up with the clunky UI etc. It is dead handy to have in the glove box.

Were you conversations with "other member" PM, or is there a thread? I am super keen to try out something like Carly or there is also https://AutoPi.io

* iCarsoft sit in R230 glovebox as it is probably the most temperamental / complicated.

So the AutoPilot looks like a cool toy for power users.. but the Carly is probably fit for purpose, likely easier to use and cheaper.

Auto pi looks more like a Mercedes Me adapter than a diagnostic tool. From the documentation it looks to be a fancy version of the basic generic Bluetooth OBD reader.

My iCarsoft lives in the 230, Stars live at home and I have a Carsoft for the 210 (38 pin port). The Carsoft is also used on the 129. The Smart has an i980.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Auto pi looks more like a Mercedes Me adapter than a diagnostic tool. From the documentation it looks to be a fancy version of the basic generic Bluetooth OBD reader.

My iCarsoft lives in the 230, Stars live at home and I have a Carsoft for the 210 (38 pin port). The Carsoft is also used on the 129. The Smart has an i980.

Yes, I guess that's what AutoPi looks like from the out.. but it has a lot more capability. There is a Raspberry Pi in there so significant compute power to do lots of bits and bobs. It does have OBDII in there so can do OBDII stuff but I think a bit more too.

Agreed it won't have Mercedes specific stuff in there, unless something is available on their plugin library.

I have it mind for a different type of project and also just looks like a cool toy to play with.

I wouldn't ever consider it a replacement for something specific like STAR or iCarSoft, apologies if I had written it like that.

OP
NBurns

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
Hi @NBurns

Absolutely. Especially when there isn’t as far as I know, a comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

You twist my arm......ok, i'll admit it. I bought another car :/ The other project I had in mind is a kind of "Driver information system" for my new to me, Renault Clio 172 Cup, track biased build.

The system would just be kind of like an informative tool that would give insight into the car. Such as temps, pressures, etc etc. Not a hardcore diagnostic tool, although would be cool if that was possible. Some fun really as I have various use cases planned for the car.

For fun, s**ts and giggles! :)

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I must admit that my MB2 sometimes does not do as i would expect it to.
IE it will not enter the ASB/ESP bit on the car, states communication error.
Likewise i have tried to contact icarsoft, but have never had a reply, now its out of warranty, seemed no point.
It does a lot of things, like pin pointed a faulty parking sensor and has reset a couple of codes, it has also found a faulty temp sensor on the mini and reset the code, it also reset a speed sensor on the Mini once i had changed it, so has more than paid for itself.

vincentfishing

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270, 2003
I must admit that my MB2 sometimes does not do as i would expect it to.
IE it will not enter the ASB/ESP bit on the car, states communication error.

Wont enter the abs esp bit on mine too, must be an ML thing

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So this arrived yesterday... I wil be spinning it's wheels and plan on providing a bit of a review at a later date as there was some interest.

Btw.. I'm sure it will cross somebodies mind, but it did also come with a right angled plug connector to relocate unit for inconvenient OBDII port locations.

IMG_20200313_133715.jpg

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
So this arrived yesterday... I wil be spinning it's wheels and plan on providing a bit of a review at a later date as there was some interest.

Btw.. I'm sure it will cross somebodies mind, but it did also come with a right angled plug connector to relocate unit for inconvenient OBDII port locations.

View attachment 56494
You bought it because of the sticker didn’t you :p

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom