Here we go again: Today I learned my alternator is broken..

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Hello people..!

Today was somewhat lucky. I was setting out on a 30 mile round trip to pick up Bilt Hamber rust treatments... and then this happened.

• About 2/3 miles from home, I get a never seen before, red light warning on centre screen showing a batter with +/- terminals in all red.
  • Shortly followed by all various lights coming up, loss of Comand, power steering etc.
  • Turn off car to refuel and engine slow to turn, but did finally start.
  • Believe it or not, I actually had a multimeter in the car. I can't remember the exact values when off and started but not good.
  • After some to/from with the breakdown people, I ended up being able to start the engine fine and everything seemed "normal", so I managed to get home.
  • Plugged in my trust iCarsoft scanner and get this code in the engine control module: Code "0365" "The output for the actuation of the alternator has a malfunction"
  • There were also a number of other codes relating to various control modules shutting down due to lack of power.

So... My alternator is basically goosed. I saw a video from "LegiStreetCars" (Alex) on Youtube a while ago about replacing worn bushes, which doesn't look too bad..

I think over the coming few days I will try and get the alternator out and inspect the bushes (and the spindle part) with a view to refurbing.

Any ideas where is good to order these parts? Either the voltage regulator or just the bushes themselves, I am happy to cut out the old ones and solder in new ones.

P.S. I had a mishap with the breakdown people. When they said it was going to take 1.5 Hours to reach me, I decided I would rather risk it and make it home myself.. when I called back to cancel they said if the guy has already left, then I will be liable to a charge of £92.50 for cancellation......outrageous.... the policy only cost me about £35. Ryanair springs to mind. The only person that will make me pay that will be a judge!

IMG_20200212_155725.jpg IMG_20200212_155959.jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You should be able to get brushes from auto electricians or online. Get the alternator out and check the brushes first as it could equally be rectifier pack or regulator.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should be able to get brushes from auto electricians or online. Get the alternator out and check the brushes first as it could equally be rectifier pack or regulator.

Ok good point. So I believe the regulator is the unit that fixes to the side of the alternator with a few screws, and it's that which holds the bushes.

What is the rectifier part?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ok good point. So I believe the regulator is the unit that fixes to the side of the alternator with a few screws, and it's that which holds the bushes.

What is the rectifier part?
An alternator produces AC current which is no good for electronics or charging batteries. Internally within the alternator are a set of diodes that are collectively called a rectifier because they rectify AC to DC.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup
I had a problem last week, my Espace was in having some work doing, so i thought i would drive to Dawlish from Plymouth to collect some new Propellers from a company there.

Got to within 5 miles if Dawlish and my a dash went red also with a alternator fault, i carried on collected the props and started home.

Got to Ashburton and it started to miss fire, called into a garage there, we tried to jump start it to find out what was the problem, it would turn over but would not fire up, put a new battery in the rear and it still wouldn't start.

Removed a plug and no spark, I had a look on youtube and it came up with the ignition coil fuse ! ! ! !
Changed the fuse, it looked fine, apart from a hair line crack no burn marks very confusing.

Replaced the fuse and it started, so measured the voltage at the engine battery and all i got was 12.9v, with the replacement battery i did manage to get home and that's where i has stayed since.

When it stops raining i will have a good look at it :eek:

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thanks LK, very clear photo - thank you for taking the time to find.

Well at least i should have my Megane up and running by the weekend :D

Hi Ian,

Well at least now you'll be able to zoom around and get more done :p

I'm confused by earlier post. When you say the Espace was in getting work...what car were you driving, that had the issues? The SL55?

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So i've popped open WIS and doing some reading..

• I have found that a full refurbish kit with bearings, brushes, slip ring etc about £20. Great!
  • I need to see if I will be able to get the alternator out without a lift. i.e. Will I be able to raise it high enough with jack/stands.
I'll keep you posted. I will also certainly try and document fully to post a DIY guide (if one doesn't exist).

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks LK, very clear photo - thank you for taking the time to find.

Hi Ian,

Well at least now you'll be able to zoom around and get more done :p

I'm confused by earlier post. When you say the Espace was in getting work...what car were you driving, that had the issues? The SL55?

My Espace (work vehicle) was i for a rear stabiliser bar replacement as it snapped.

I was driving the Merc, as i had only driven it a couple of times last year i thought it could do with a run :), was a nice day so had the roof down as well

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
It’s a good thing you have lots of other cars :D , that are currently working ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bearings and slip rings can be a bar steward to remove...

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Conor pick one up from Ebay Fit that one in ,, and then recondition your original altermator .

I guess that's not a bad idea but then I would have to shift my own one. I don't rely on the car and don't mind it sitting idle for a week or so while I brave the job. Good shout though, I honestly didn't think of that.

Bearings and slip rings can be a bar steward to remove...

Lol, "bar steward" first time I heard of that.. I saw that in a video actually. Your man had some puller tool. :/

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess that's not a bad idea but then I would have to shift my own one. I don't rely on the car and don't mind it sitting idle for a week or so while I brave the job. Good shout though, I honestly didn't think of that.
:/

Will have to check, but a guy i use for my alternators and starter motors, usually charges around £160 for a recon alternator.

Just looked on his web site and only £150 :D:D

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Will have to check, but a guy i use for my alternators and starter motors, usually charges around £160 for a recon alternator.

Just looked on his web site and only £150 :D:D

Thats still more expensive than the refurb kit.. and less fun too :)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
... Right. I have the alternator out.

It's filthy with oil residue on the outside. Wondering what is best to clean it? I was hoping to clean it before opening it up... but probably safer to disassemble dirty then clean the constituent parts.

I'm wrecked now but might have a look later.

IMG_20200213_171742.jpg

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Or pop it in the dish washer if it shot,, it wont hurt it ha ha No its a job for a brush and a little white spirits .But to re con the alternator your self would be possible but the slip rings are hard to replace and also the bearing will need pressing in . I did have some parts to do my starter motor form an ebay seller, if you need parts i can find his listing for you.He had parts for all alternators and starter motors.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom