Nexen or Kumho tyres?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I thought I had replied to this thread !!!!!
My ML270 had four Goodyears fitted over two years ago, done about 18,500 miles and starting to get to the point that I should think about replacements. They cost £400 all in, so thought I would go for same again, however, best I could get was £550 !!!!
Now I am an older, sedate driver, and do not try and see how fast I can get round a corner ( OK, old fart driver but I do not wear a hat or gloves). As I had a bit of time, looked around and did some research and NEXEN's came out ok for a mid range budget. So thought when time comes would go for them as could get all four fitted for about £380 (255/60/17)
Then I saw some advertised for free delivery, four for £250 right to my door, so I ordered them, and I have a local fitter who will fit for £10 a corner.
That was in early December, they are sitting in my shed as the Goodyears refuse to wear out !!!! (but hardly using car at the moment as daughters little Aygo is at home, and better on fuel for work)
So, I have new tyres, but I do not think I will fit them until summer. I am keeping them in a dark dry place, and swap them round every week to make sure no harm comes to them in storage. I hope they will be ok.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Opps, should have said they are NEXEN N'FERA RU1 255/60/17

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Had p zeros on my SL55 would never use them again, they reminded me of Teflon tyres that were fitted on Jap bikes in the 80's or now labelled ditch finders

Must be something to do with your driving style. The grip is good, the only complaint I have if I had to make one is that they can be a little noisy on rough surfaces. They definitely aren't ditch finders. Any tyre can be a ditch finder if pressed hard enough, and the ones that hang on the longest generally have the most dramatic exits :rolleyes::)

Last edited:

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
Had p zeros on my SL55 would never use them again, they reminded me of Teflon tyres that were fitted on Jap bikes in the 80's or now labelled ditch finders

Talking about tyres and bikes, back in the 80's I always ideally had a Metzeler Laser up front and the magic Pirelli Phantom on the rear! Ace combination

And here is said motorcycle..... (Well one of them). :D

1bME1Wq.jpg

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Must be something to do with your driving style. The grip is good, the only complaint I have if I had to make one is that they can be a little noisy on rough surfaces. They definitely aren't ditch finders. Any tyre can be a ditch finder if pressed hard enough, and the ones that hang on the longest generally have the most dramatic exits :rolleyes::)

I have to agree with Ianplymouth in that I find P-Zero's have very little grip in the wet. I know I have a lot of torque with this car, but just a slight touch of the throttle and the rear can step out. I'm careful in poor conditions so driving style can't be attributed to such poor grip. They are part worn at around 4mm. I'm holding off on getting a new pair of rears but they certainly won't be Pirelli next time.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I really like 70's and 80's jap bikes.
I had, in this order.... Suzuki GT250 air ram, then a little Suzuki 200 invader, Then a Suzuki T350R, Then a Suzuki T500 and then a Suzuki GT750 (flying kettle) You may have noticed I loved the old two stroke engines. I rode bikes right up to two years ago, finished with some BMW's, and last bike was a Suzuki V strom.
Gave up as bad knees and back did not like the cold.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Dam, looking at old Suzuki's on e bay now, I really should not !!!!!

RhodieBill

Reaction score
Central South Coast. (Previously Out of Africa).
Your Mercedes
2001 W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
I really like 70's and 80's jap bikes.
I had, in this order.... Suzuki GT250 air ram, then a little Suzuki 200 invader, Then a Suzuki T350R, Then a Suzuki T500 and then a Suzuki GT750 (flying kettle) You may have noticed I loved the old two stroke engines. I rode bikes right up to two years ago, finished with some BMW's, and last bike was a Suzuki V strom.
Gave up as bad knees and back did not like the cold.

The only big strojer I had was a Kawasaki H2 750 Triple - but it had been ported to shyt and back with unsilenced Chambers! Sadly I haven't got a photo but it was as scary as hell! My mate at the time had a Katana 1000 Striker and I used to walk all over him up to about 80mph...lol. Trouble is with a single Disc up front and a rear Drum it didn't stop for shyt...lol...!

But it sounded a bit like this one off YT.... (without the mid-range misfire).

My last bike was a Katana 750.... That was way back in '91.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I have to agree with Ianplymouth in that I find P-Zero's have very little grip in the wet. I know I have a lot of torque with this car, but just a slight touch of the throttle and the rear can step out. I'm careful in poor conditions so driving style can't be attributed to such poor grip. They are part worn at around 4mm. I'm holding off on getting a new pair of rears but they certainly won't be Pirelli next time.

Lets not forget that with 600 odd brake horse your requirements from a tyre is a world away from mine. With my amble along with under a third of that power the P Zero is more than adequate. I've never had even had so much of a twitch from my hind quarters with them. From my days of the likes of Cosworths and so forth Michelins were the ditchfinders of the day. :rolleyes::)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
For sure Andy. I appreciate there is a lot of power going through those tyres, but my E55 running Falkens was far more stable and that had close to 500bhp.
I just have to accept these aren't for me and hope the Goodyears I intend to replace them with are better.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 amg, Renault G Espase 2.0Dci 175+, Megane 265 cup

I had a conversation with my tyre fitter and he said he would not fit the P zeros unless he was asked too , did have Vredestein ultrac vorties on at first and was very impressed with them, in the wet and dry, but at the time when they needed replacing i couldn't find any for sale, so i thought as Pirelli were supposed to be a Premium brand i thought i would give them a go, they have been replaced with Nexen Nfura and for the money i can say i'm really pleased with them.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5's for me Ian. I had them on the front of my E55 and they gave a lot of confidence in the corners.
I wonder if, like MotoGP bikes and F1 cars, some brands and designs of tyres suit some more than others.

I know a lot of members like P Zero's, so they obviously suit them.

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only big strojer I had was a Kawasaki H2 750 Triple - but it had been ported to shyt and back with unsilenced Chambers! Sadly I haven't got a photo but it was as scary as hell! My mate at the time had a Katana 1000 Striker and I used to walk all over him up to about 80mph...lol. Trouble is with a single Disc up front and a rear Drum it didn't stop for shyt...lol...!

One of my mates had an H2 it was silly quick, but with the chocolate frame it didn't like corners, i ended up down the GSXr route, having one of the first 750's, managed 600 miles before the mechanic threw it down the road on the first service.
I then went to the 1000, then had 4 1100's before buying a Triumph Daytona 1200,
Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5's for me Ian. I had them on the front of my E55 and they gave a lot of confidence in the corners.
I wonder if, like MotoGP bikes and F1 cars, some brands and designs of tyres suit some more than others.

I know a lot of members like P Zero's, so they obviously suit them.

I have just bought a set for my track car, had the 3's and in the wet on track were awesome, can't wait to try these out, for the dry i use Federell 595RSr's, tried R888 and there okay for 3-4 laps then turned to shite

ianplymouth

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

A mate of mine had an H2, that was some scary thing, great in a straight line but corners :eek:
Same for another mate that had a GPZ 750 turbo, chocolate frame and shite brakes.
I went down the GSXr route, had one of the first 750's, but the mechanic threw it down the road when it was in for its first service 600 miles :mad:
Had 1100's after that, 5 of them, before i got a Triumph Daytona 1200, would never go back to a Jap bike after that, not had a bike for 20+ years now, got my trackday car so i'm happy :cool:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
The P Zeros on my 63 started working at 4mm , it was running just over 700bhp- in the dry loads of grip and wouldn’t falter- wet was quite another thing!
If I’d kept it I was going with the Falkens.
Current chariot has Bridgestone Potenzas, no choice unfortunately and I’ve just put another full set on...horrid things especially in 20in size

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom