Guys.. what is that? (M111.960)

Peter Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W124 E220
Guys, what is that? Is it supposed to be there?
If it is.. it kinda look like its blocking the pipe..
please enlighten me. 20200325_042410.jpg

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Have you tried poking a screw driver in there? It looks like it's part of the cooling system so it shouldn't be there. What's the rest of the system like?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Was the hose attached to it? If so it’s blocked, poss rad weld??

OP
P

Peter Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W124 E220
Have you tried poking a screw driver in there? It looks like it's part of the cooling system so it shouldn't be there. What's the rest of the system like?

Yes I tried poking the tip, and it really felt like its part of the hose.. It has the same material and texture as the hoses, kinda like rubber, I guess like it was made to block something from/off the pipe? Should I take it off? I feel like I can pry it with screwdriver.

20200325_055137.jpg 20200325_055016.jpg

Last edited:

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Is that a recently aquired car. Why would you need to tighten the clamps on the hose.

Driving a car with such a blockage on the cooling circuit is asking so for serious damage -assuming its a coolant pipe, which I assume.

As mentioned where does the other end of the pipe go - is it cooling circiut.

If you do start stabbing at it with a screw driver, its will be difficult to prevent bits falling inside, can you unscrew the metal housing and clean it on the bench.

As mentioned above it could be radweld, but surely rad weld wouldnt block such a huge pipe.

Can you find the part no stamped on the part and google it too how it should look or take a trip to your dealers and get a replacement part. It looks like tois part of the engine actually from the pic.

Whatever it is it needs sorting, last thing you want is that rust weakening the metal if it hasnt done already, then a good flush and refill with coolant.

I will be interested as to how you progress -good luck

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you do start stabbing at it with a screw driver, its will be difficult to prevent bits falling inside, can you unscrew the metal housing and clean it on the bench.
Easy way to prevent stuff going in is to make an initial hole then put the hose into the disconnected rubber pipe. Then as you poke away at it the pressure and water in the system will flush the pieces the correct way out of the system.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Easy way to prevent stuff going in is to make an initial hole then put the hose into the disconnected rubber pipe. Then as you poke away at it the pressure and water in the system will flush the pieces the correct way out of the system.

good call!

OP
P

Peter Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W124 E220
Is that a recently aquired car. Why would you need to tighten the clamps on the hose.

Driving a car with such a blockage on the cooling circuit is asking so for serious damage -assuming its a coolant pipe, which I assume.

As mentioned where does the other end of the pipe go - is it cooling circiut.

As mentioned above it could be radweld, but surely rad weld wouldnt block such a huge pipe.

Can you find the part no stamped on the part and google it too how it should look or take a trip to your dealers and get a replacement part. It looks like tois part of the engine actually from the pic.

Whatever it is it needs sorting, last thing you want is that rust weakening the metal if it hasnt done already, then a good flush and refill with coolant.

I will be interested as to how you progress -good luck

Well its not really a 'recently' aquired car. Ive been driving it for 2 years. Im new to this whole car thing, always going to the shop for repairs and only recently I decided to try to work on my own car for the sake of having a better knowledge of it.
I was trying to flush my coolant system thats why I been messing around with the hoses and clamps because I had to remove my coolant reservoir tank, and found out that the previous owner might have blocked the system for whatever reason. Ive been driving with this condition for 2 years and had no heating or coolant issues thats why Im really surprised to see such thing going on down there.

Yes the rust looked really scary. Any idea how to maybe recondition the rusty thing?

Anyway, the other end of the blocked pipe is my cooling circuit, it goes up to the heater hose, and my heater isnt working (I turn it on no hot air comes out) 20200325_173451.jpg

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Anyway, the other end of the blocked pipe is my cooling circuit, it goes up to the heater hose, and my heater isnt working (I turn it on no hot air comes out) ....

I think you might have found out why the heater isn't working ;);)
Trouble is though, if the hose/stub pipe is blocked liked that, I'd imagine the heater matrix to be solid too. :(

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think you just found out why your heater isn't working.
Does your car have an LPG conversion perhaps? That can require rejigging the heater circuit but I can't see why that would require the pump outlet to be blocked.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its a nice job for a sunny day anyway.

Time to get the hose out and some new coolant at the ready!

Even whats came out of the other end pipe looks sludgy,

The w124 hay a red tap on the bottom back of the rad for draining.

Back wash and hose (pipe) from every hose (coolant) possible.

Loking at that, what temp does your engine get up to, I would be looking at getting the stat off too - best way to clear the cooling curciut and replace.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Do you ever get a need to use the internal heater given the weather where the car is?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would need blocking both ends.
No doubt the OP will soon find out....

OP
P

Peter Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 W124 E220
I think you just found out why your heater isn't working.
Does your car have an LPG conversion perhaps? That can require rejigging the heater circuit but I can't see why that would require the pump outlet to be blocked.
I believe my car doesnt have it.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom