What happens if I cannot get my car serviced

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Here's the note on my guys website:

We would like to reassure you that we are taking every precaution possible - all keys and surfaces are being cleaned regularly with disinfectant and fresh gloves/car seats are being used with every car to avoid any potential cross contamination.
If you find yourself in a self-isolation situation, we will endeavour to arrange collection/drop off of your car.

Anyone needing work doing or an MOT near Northampton let me know and I'll pass on details.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Got a text from MOT place (inTown Automotive Northampton) - still open and looks like I'm going for the booked one on Monday - don't fancy what inevitably going to be a mad rush to get it done, once the six months extension is drawing near.

The service at MB Northampton (Sytner) was cancelled though ... it's going to be extremely annoying, seeing the overdue notice in the instrument cluster, in about 350 miles or so ... :rolleyes:

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
When I was working through college I took a holiday job on an American airbase. I served gas (er ... petrol), and a VW Beetle came in.
'Gas it up'.
I asked the obligatory trainee question, 'Check the oil?'
I gassed it up, then asked for the key to open the rear engine cover. The guy had never opened it because he didn't have a key.

Almost 100k miles, and never an oil check.
Reckon you've got no worries.
I had 2 beetles in the 60's, a 1960 1200cc & a 1966 1300cc. Both had well over 100K KMS on the clock when I bought them, I was in Germany at the time. Did all my own servicing, I think it was 10K KMS oil changes in those days. The oil filter was a wire gauze which you dropped out of the sump & cleaned it. Both did use a little oil between services, but not very much.

OP
rorywquin

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Got a text from MOT place (inTown Automotive Northampton) - still open and looks like I'm going for the booked one on Monday - don't fancy what inevitably going to be a mad rush to get it done, once the six months extension is drawing near.

The service at MB Northampton (Sytner) was cancelled though ... it's going to be extremely annoying, seeing the overdue notice in the instrument cluster, in about 350 miles or so ... :rolleyes:

My service on the 7th of April has been cancelled by the dealership. I might take mine to my Indy if he is still in business next month. Unfortunately, both our cars need a service in April......but as we are not doing any mileage should be fine.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My service on the 7th of April has been cancelled by the dealership. I might take mine to my Indy if he is still in business next month. Unfortunately, both our cars need a service in April......but as we are not doing any mileage should be fine.
After careful consideration, I have now cancelled the MOT on Monday - it's not going to fall apart without it, and working through the town centre back and forth, or hanging around the place for an hour, doesn't seem such an attractive proposition...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
After careful consideration, I have now cancelled the MOT on Monday - it's not going to fall apart without it, and working through the town centre back and forth, or hanging around the place for an hour, doesn't seem such an attractive proposition...
Wise move

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Rebook your date now.
You know there will be a massive rush come 6 months time as the deferred ones will be due at the same time as the normal expiries - something that will create issues for years....

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rebook your date now.
You know there will be a massive rush come 6 months time as the deferred ones will be due at the same time as the normal expiries - something that will create issues for years....
Yes, that's what I thought, when I decided to go ahead with the booked date, but then ... the car is just a bunch of metal, and yes, the new MOT is unlikely to only cost £20 as the cancelled one was, and it's going to be a mad rush to get through, for sure ... something about taking chances - not such a fun anymore :rolleyes:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
A friend of mine runs a garage that does MOT's and they are open and continuing as normal but with extra provisions in place

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Not sure how lots are remaining open. We can't get any parts (mb or aftermarket),or tyres.

LPGJOE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
06 320 S class CDi
Both our cars are coming due for a service......looks like service centres are closing down. I'm happy to take a chance on my wife's car and use it for a while - without a service. However MOT is also due on my wide's car in the next several week and we may not be able to get that done. What are the risks?

No need to worry about MOT gov has given a 6mth holiday, But ring arround still some MOT centre,s open, as for the service, has it got to be done at a Merc garage ? If not again find a local garage that can do it, if only oil & filters DIY.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
2 of my cars have expired MOT's now :(
Luckily I have others I can still use that are legal. :D

My Indy's procedure was no contact with customer, he is working by himself, only working on the cars that don't require parts, keys dropped off in letter box when you arrive, he'll contact you when car is ready, pay over phone, you collect car with arrangement for key access, you drive off. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
2 of my cars have expired MOT's now :(
Luckily I have others I can still use that are legal. :D

My Indy's procedure was no contact with customer, he is working by himself, only working on the cars that don't require parts, keys dropped off in letter box when you arrive, he'll contact you when car is ready, pay over phone, you collect car with arrangement for key access, you drive off. :)
My eldest has my Smart, MOT expired 28th March - 3 days before the extension... so he's had to SORN it as he can't get an MOT done. Thankfully he doesn't need it at the moment. He had an MOT booked which was cancelled because of the lock down.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
My eldest has my Smart, MOT expired 28th March - 3 days before the extension... so he's had to SORN it as he can't get an MOT done. Thankfully he doesn't need it at the moment. He had an MOT booked which was cancelled because of the lock down.

No need to Sorn. As LPGJOE has said, there's a government waiver on MOTs at present.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No need to Sorn. As LPGJOE has said, there's a government waiver on MOTs at present.
Only from the 31st March, it expired on the 28th March so no extension

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I can't imagine there'll be too many prosecutions on that basis.
I think you may be right on the prosecution side , but the Insurance companies (if you have an accident ) will love to have another option to not pay out :rolleyes:

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I think you may be right on the prosecution side , but the Insurance companies (if you have an accident ) will love to have another option to not pay out :rolleyes:

I think if the car is insured and the government MOT waiver is still in force, they'd be hard pressed to refuse payment. But insurance companies seem to thrive on loopholes, so the detail in Blobcat's case might cause problems.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom