Someone Must Know!!!!! Amplifer issues!

Cameron McCulloch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Hi everyone, hoping there is someone on this forum that can help me solve this issue.I have just found that the LHS speakers on my SL R230 2008 have failed and fluff so badly its impossible to listen to the stereo.
I had always planned to do a slight upgrade on the sound system in the long term as the fitted one is a basic cooking model terrible sounding thing, but this had brought it forward somewhat.
I won't be changing the Command Head Unit as I have Dension DAB, iPod and USB connectivity already fitted.
I won't be adding a subwoofer as my days of booming down the street are gone.
All I will be doing is replacing the door speakers with a quality component set up.
In order to power them though, the factory amp will need to be upgraded by using a Hi/Lo RCA convertor on its output into a new upgraded amp capable of running the new speakers correctly.
The question I have is WHAT COMES OUT OF THE OLD AMP?
I ask in terms of wires.
Is it 4 wires for two channels of two signals - woofer and mid/tweeter?
OR
Is it a simple two channel output that gets the signals separated closer to the speakers?
I am at the end of my fact finding ability with this.I have spoken to Mark from command online who has very kindly offered to help but in present restrictions my budget is severely limited due to being self employed so I am unable to accept said help.
Any knowledge of what happens on the speaker side of the amp would be greatly greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance guys

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the set up across Merc's is all variable. Some use the tuner / amp as an element of the fibre optic network and the screen includes HVAC control (on NTG3 /NTG3.5) on these ones the amp dies to time, so if you have this expect issues before you start.

the fault you describe could be blown speakers from over doing it with the current underpowered amp...

often good stock drivers, new better tweeters and a more powerful amp is all most cars need.

these guys do interesting products, bringing more power and ability to tune to your taste... don't expect it to be easy or cheap... its a Mercedes https://www.audison.eu/?page=product&id=50

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Just replace the current speakers with good quality ones and it will probably fit your needs and pocket without the aggro.

Focal are good.
Also....(for a bit less)
JBL
Alpine.
Pioneer.

OP
C

Cameron McCulloch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Not in the set ups I used to build...

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Buy the best speakers you can afford, its always money well spent. Fit them & see how the system sounds, then you can change other items if you need to.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
with any car that had a reasonable set up... the weakest point is always a very underpowered amp

1000w amp on 20w speakers it'll purr
10w cheap amp on £10,000 speakers will do what the owner already wrote...

think of it a bit like springs and dampers.... a new set of expensive adjustable dampers, will control everything beautifully, a new set of springs will do f** all (and in the stereo set up, often make things worse as they are more demanding on an already struggling amp).

Low power amps (the damper in analogy above) cause the speakers to bounce about (making up flutter and rubbish that was never on the track played), smash in to the end stops (making up treble that was never on the track), rattle and if you keep going, burn out the drive coils.

OP
C

Cameron McCulloch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
the set up across Merc's is all variable. Some use the tuner / amp as an element of the fibre optic network and the screen includes HVAC control (on NTG3 /NTG3.5) on these ones the amp dies to time, so if you have this expect issues before you start.

the fault you describe could be blown speakers from over doing it with the current underpowered amp...

often good stock drivers, new better tweeters and a more powerful amp is all most cars need.

these guys do interesting products, bringing more power and ability to tune to your taste... don't expect it to be easy or cheap... its a Mercedes https://www.audison.eu/?page=product&id=50

I am actually almost certain I will use Audison Prima APK 163
I like the way that each speaker has an individual crossover.
I am certain I only have two speakers in my set up as it sounds soooooo bad so I will find a work around to resolve, maybe taking one of the inputs and finding a way of splitting it without signal degradation.
There will be an amp, something small but powerful that can be hidden but I think that may now be added later.
Looking forward to this.....!

OP
C

Cameron McCulloch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Ido need to ask this again though..... in terms of wires.

Is it 4 wires for two channels of two signals - woofer and mid/tweeter?

OR

Is it a simple two channel output that gets the signals separated closer to the speakers?

I am at the end of my fact finding ability with this.I have spoken to Mark from command online who has very kindly offered to help but in present restrictions my budget is severely limited due to being self employed so I am unable to accept said help.
Any knowledge of what happens on the speaker side of the amp would be greatly greatly appreciated!!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
loads of wires, no idea where they go. Wiring diagrams hard to come by. But search internet you'll get something

I don't know if your car is based on a 220 or a 221 ??? this is an interesting story of the 221 and dev of his stereo upgrades a guy had. the audison he used is an 8 channel amp all in one and does high level inputs which you need because of the stupid technology they used in the 221 system

https://w221audio.wordpress.com/

OP
C

Cameron McCulloch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Thanks for that.
Very involved site that will take some looking at with fresh eyes I think!!

I am definitely going to find out and I shall try to detail all of my findings here on the forum, along with LOTS of pictures and the SL will no longer be the poor information relation!!
Keep the replies coming though

pubmerc

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124-300ce-1989-3.0 r230-sl350-2010-3.5
Hi mate.
how did you get in the end with your upgrade?
i also have a faulty left side speaker on my SL.
just looking at the options available.
replace like for like or improve!

Top Bottom