Old tools.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
This week my old Hitachi Made In Japan angle grinder (35 years young at least) threw a bearing, I was just on my way to the bin and the youth said don't throw it, so we now have a new bearing on order.

The rest it has to be said is in good order.

I bought a new Bosch one to reserve for a particular job and its rubbish.

Anyone else got some old tools going well ?

Try to keep off the one in your pants !!

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My 1/4" Elu router, purchased in about 1985 for a project for our son's bedroom (desk etc in pine), well used since then, replaced bushes once or twice, bottom bearing quit about 4 years ago but got spares, stripped and sorted it, still going strong. In comparison, I bought a 1/2" Erbauer router for my router table - cost about £80 from Screwfix - and within about 3 months it completely died. Replaced it with a rather more expensive Triton one that's had lots of use and 10+ years later still going strong.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I have a 40 year old B&D hammer drill still working. Also have a 40 year old Festo (Festools) circular saw. Admittedly they are only ever used for the odd DIY job.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I have a 40 year old B&D hammer drill still working. Also have a 40 year old Festo (Festools) circular saw. Admittedly they are only ever used for the odd DIY job.
Oddly enough I also have (my late grandfathers) B&D hammer drill, and like you it’s still going strong, the only thing that doesn’t work is the speed setting, so it’s either fast or erm fast

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012
Oddly enough I also have (my late grandfathers) B&D hammer drill, and like you it’s still going strong, the only thing that doesn’t work is the speed setting, so it’s either fast or erm fast

Snap on the B&D hammer drill, although I rarely use it now, the battery drills seem to do everything I need. Cant remember exactly when I bought it, but I know its older than my kids and eldest is 37.
I also have a 42 yr old Kenwood chef which is as good as the day it was bought. I think I was a bit horrified at the price when the wife brought it home, but its proved to be worth every penny.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I have a moulinex iron, new back in 1983 when i left home.. and still in as new condition... haha .
I never did figure out how to iron a shirt without the heat going through the shirt and burning my skin underneath?
Those old black and decker metal drills seem to go on forever ! Modern Cordless are a godsend though.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Snap on the B&D hammer drill, although I rarely use it now, the battery drills seem to do everything I need. Cant remember exactly when I bought it, but I know its older than my kids and eldest is 37.
I also have a 42 yr old Kenwood chef which is as good as the day it was bought. I think I was a bit horrified at the price when the wife brought it home, but its proved to be worth every penny.

My in-laws had a Kenwood. I recall it from the 70s when it was already really old (wife cannot remember if it was late 50s or early 60s when purchased). When the old girl died (2018) my wife gave it to the charity shop still working.

I also have a portable Singer sewing machine that belonged to the MiL (must be 70 years old) and still working.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Another old B&D drill here. Old orange one that has to be 40 years plus old.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Another one here with a 39 year old B&D bought it when I left the army.
Also have a Kenwood Chef bought by my mother when we got married 47 years ago. Still used weekly never failed, have a look at the current new price!

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
My now recently departed father left me some gems including his apprentice pieces as an Aircraft toolmaker.

Mind you there's probably a skip full of stuff that didn't make it.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
My mother still has her Kenwood Major (the larger commercial version) coming up close to 50 years old I would expect.
I’ve 2 Kitchen Aid mixers, one I’ve had for 21 years and a much larger one I’ve had for 4 years (although that ones in its box at the moment)

I’ve also a grey B&D pro drill which is 30+ years old. I prefer my Bosch Priofesional hammer Stop drill I’ve had for 25 years though.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
A Kenwood electric carving knife that still works as well 38yrs after being bought.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Like many others we have a Kenwood Chef that was bought with some of our wedding present money 45 years ago and is still going strong. Daughter has cast covetous eyes at it many times and been told "patience", but about 18 months ago we were in a Help for Heros charity shop near her and noticed one identical but behind a curtain rather than on display, enquired, and obtained that plus 2 mixing bowls and a fistful of attachments for £15 - complete no brainer! Happy daughter when she came home from shopping and found that waiting for her!

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Like many others we have a Kenwood Chef that was bought with some of our wedding present money 45 years ago and is still going strong. Daughter has cast covetous eyes at it many times and been told "patience", but about 18 months ago we were in a Help for Heros charity shop near her and noticed one identical but behind a curtain rather than on display, enquired, and obtained that plus 2 mixing bowls and a fistful of attachments for £15 - complete no brainer! Happy daughter when she came home from shopping and found that waiting for her!
What a find!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
I have a 1984 Castlegarden lawnmower, with a Brigg's & Stratton engine ( what else? ) Had to replace the pull-cord, and to so, I removed the upper casing, complete with the pull mechanism. All the screws and bolts etc. were BSF,,,luckily, at a garage closing down sale a few mth's ago, I picked up mixed assortment of BSF sockets that I had bought out of sheer nostalgia,,,but they came in handy !!! And now my Castle garden live's to fight ( or cut grass ) another day !!!.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

My mother ran a B&B on Guernsey for a few years. Around 1978, I got her the top of the range Kenwood & many accessories to help her with the B&B. On a recent trip to Ireland, I noticed it in my sister's kitchen.....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
I inherited my father's old carpenters hand tools, many of which he bought in the early 1920's when he was doing his apprenticeship in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia and while they show a bit of wear they still work well, including the old 1/4" hand drill, various Stanley planes (both iron and wooden ones), chisels and hammers, and a range of different Imperial spanners. I only wish I had the skills and knowledge to use them all properly. My own collection includes a couple of 1960's vintage aluminium case
B & D 1/4" 240v electric drills (they still work perfectly), a B & D circular saw from around the same era, an '80's Bosch 10mm hammer drill and a collection of Metric and Imperial spanners from 4mm to 11/2". My main problem now is I have nowhere to use them as my workshed is overcrowded with our kid's junk that they won't clear until they move into bigger homes of their own.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
................ overcrowded with our kid's junk that they won't clear until they move into bigger homes of their own.

Start charging them storage, they will quickly find a way to reduce the amount of stuff they want to keep.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Emily keeps leaving & returning ..... she's in one back room & all her stuff is in another! But to give her her due she's saving hard to buy her own house .... :D

Top Bottom