Selling car with a private plate

Mark071973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI 2010
I'm selling my Mercedes C Class. It currently has my private plate on it. I tried to do a transfer of the plate to retention online but it won't allow it. I think due to the fact that the dealer who sold me the car had SORN it for a while.

So I've gone down the route of sending it off to DVLA with the log book and fee etc in the post.

Thing is I've no idea how long DVLA will take due to the current covid19 situation.

I have a potential buyer coming to view the car tomorrow.

I have the original V5 still in the original plate number before I transfered to my private plate. I assume this doc is now invalid.

Is there anyway I can sell this car on before I have heard back from DVLA?

Any thoughts would be welcomed

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

The old V5 is invalid, if you sell it with the current V5 the new owner can apply for a V5 in their name and they will then have your number plate.

You need to get your plate onto retention and a V5 without your registration on before you sell it.

OP
Mark071973

Mark071973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI 2010
Hello and welcome

The old V5 is invalid, if you sell it with the current V5 the new owner can apply for a V5 in their name and they will yhen have your number plate.

You need to get your plate onto retention and a V5 without your registration on before you sell it.
Thanks Blobcat

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
DVLA are currently open online, and can also be accessed via email.
But they are not actioning any paper queries, or forms sent to them by mail. Here's their current statement:

'Please use our online services, which are all currently available.
Please do not send in any paper applications until further notice'.

OP
Mark071973

Mark071973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI 2010
DVLA are currently open online, and can also be accessed via email.
But they are not actioning any paper queries, or forms sent to them by mail. Here's their current statement:

'Please use our online services, which are all currently available.
Please do not send in any paper applications until further notice'.
Thanks for your response. It is frustrating because I tried the online method but it refuses to work, as I said one of the criteria was that the car have been taxed permanently for the past 5 years. I suspect this has not been the case. I hastily sent off my v5, paperwork and cheque to DVLA a week ago before I realised they were not taking paper requests! I guess I will just gave to wait!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Thanks for your response. It is frustrating because I tried the online method but it refuses to work, as I said one of the criteria was that the car have been taxed permanently for the past 5 years. I suspect this has not been the case. I hastily sent off my v5, paperwork and cheque to DVLA a week ago before I realised they were not taking paper requests! I guess I will just gave to wait!

It doesn't have to have been taxed permanently for 5 years. The donor vehicle needs to be taxed now or have a SORN in place.

From DVLA website.......

Eligibility
The vehicle must:

• be registered with DVLA in the UK
  • be able to move under its own power
  • be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
  • be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
  • be available for inspection
DVLA will check your application and contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

OP
Mark071973

Mark071973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI 2010
It doesn't have to have been taxed permanently for 5 years. The donor vehicle needs to be taxed now or have a SORN in place.

From DVLA website.......

Eligibility
The vehicle must:

• be registered with DVLA in the UK
  • be able to move under its own power
  • be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
  • have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
  • be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
  • be available for inspection
DVLA will check your application and contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.
Hmm yes, re reading it I see your point. I wonder why it didn't allow me to do it online then, as I met all the criteria?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hmm yes, re reading it I see your point. I wonder why it didn't allow me to do it online then, as I met all the criteria?

Do you have a new V5 in your name?

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
Would it be possible to write up some sort of contact with the buyer that you can exchange the number at a later date? Make sure you have witnesses sign any paperwork so there is no misunderstanding.

OP
Mark071973

Mark071973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI 2010
Would it be possible to write up some sort of contact with the buyer that you can exchange the number at a later date? Make sure you have witnesses sign any paperwork so there is no misunderstanding.
Thanks for the idea Donald. It may come to that if DVLA take a while to action the request.

OP
Mark071973

Mark071973

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI 2010
Do you have a new V5 in your name?
I did have Blobcat. The V5 had the private number on it. I sent that to DVLA last week with the form and payment to transfer the private plate to retention. As yet I have received nothing back from them.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I did have Blobcat. The V5 had the private number on it. I sent that to DVLA last week with the form and payment to transfer the private plate to retention. As yet I have received nothing back from them.

Probably stuck in the paperwork mountain :(

I’ve done my last few online and it was pretty fast (before lockdown)

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
Probably stuck in the paperwork mountain :(

I’ve done my last few online and it was pretty fast (before lockdown)

I did my last one online too (before lockdown) but bizarrely the system was only available between 07:00 and 19:00 weekdays.

I needed the reference number off the V5 so unless you have that, I suspect you are stuck until they reply.

Your other problem is that most buyers won't buy a car unless they can see the V5 and walk away with the new owner part so that they can tax it. Maybe the compromise is that you agree the deal, take a deposit, and the buyer gets the car when the V5 is returned?

Top Bottom