Advice on diagnostic equipment

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
What code readers or software is available for fault finding/diagnosis on a Merc?
For example: on my Audi's I've used VAGCOM.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What code readers or software is available for fault finding/diagnosis on a Merc?
For example: on my Audi's I've used VAGCOM.
Star/Xentry is the Mercedes factory one that reads everything.
Otherwise it depends on vehicle age.
Pre OBD2 cars need Carsoft or Star
Post OBD2 cars can use a much wider range but the preferred on here is Star or iCarsoft though Autel and Delphi have suitable offerings too.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I've moved your post into a new thread for you

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
STAR/Xentry is dealer level equipment, but genuine ones are very expensive and hard to find for an individual. It costs £££'s for a garage to buy one. Clones are available and some are very good but still hundreds of pounds. Then you have iCarsoft which is very good and about VCDS price

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Thanks for the info. I’ve seen autel and delphi before. I’ll have a gander at the others.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
iCarsoft CR-PRO, MB specific, but give's good coverage of other makes too.

Mike Mil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 2003 350
Hi

I wonder if anyone could recommend a well priced scanner for my Merc SL R230 - want to read and reset but don't want to spend a fortune

any help appreciated

All the best

Mike

Mike Mil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 2003 350
Great thanks I'll have a look

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Just purchased an iCarsoft CR Pro , it will cover almost all vehicles on the road with an OBD2 connection. It wasn`t too expensive at £260 but it will be very "sell-able" should we win the lottery and have four brand new cars on the driveway.

When i had my CLS i purchased a MB specific reader , which in hindsight was a mistake as for an extra £50 or so i could have got a reader that did numerous vehicles which would have saved me buying another one when i had an issue with an SRS fault on the boys Clio.

K

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
I looked at the 'icarsoft cr pro' on amazon and compared it to the 'Autel AP200 bluetooth scanner'. If by chance you get a couple of mins to look at this and compare its functionality to the cr pro I'd be grateful for your time.
It looks to offer the same, but at £60 not £250.

Also does the cr pro activate any features on the merc that would be otherwise de-selected due to model designation?
E.g. additional interior ambient lighting colours.

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
That Autel looks interesting. It would be nice if they had a full MB compatibility list like iCarsoft do to enable proper checking of functionality.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Yeah it does look good.
Are any of these scanners capable of accessing and activating further functions/options?

Anyone have experience with the Autel MK808 as this looks the business for home use?
I've looked on youtube and it seems of high quality. I'd like to activate anything on my car that the dealer hasn't.

Last edited:

Mike Mil

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sl 2003 350
Autel AP200 looks interesting and good value - looks like you get info on your first car for free then additional cars are around 21USD per year - be good to get some idea of how good this is
regards
Mike

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Yeah it does look good.
Are any of these scanners capable of accessing and activating further functions/options?

Anyone have experience with the Autel MK808 as this looks the business for home use?
I've looked on youtube and it seems of high quality. I'd like to activate anything on my car that the dealer hasn't.
Mercedes are very clever, they don’t put all wiring and modules in unless it’s part of the build sheet, so if it wasn’t spec’d from new it won’t have it. Very different from VAG where everything is there you just have to activate it

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mercedes are very clever, they don’t put all wiring and modules in unless it’s part of the build sheet, so if it wasn’t spec’d from new it won’t have it. Very different from VAG where everything is there you just have to activate it
same as Bimmercode, I haven't bothered mind as I will never,ever be going near anything on the i8 (cowardly I know!):oops:

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
same as Bimmercode, I haven't bothered mind as I will never,ever be going near anything on the i8 (cowardly I know!):oops:
A mate of mine has bummercode for his M3 and it’s excellent software. The live info is great, especially when running high figures due to mods.

OP
badger_wazzala

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Ah, something else I’ve learned already. Thanks for the info.
Greedy Merc edes.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom