Can you remap an EV?

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Just wondering what scope there will be for "tuning" electric vehicles?

Could you theortically increase the performance by decreasing the range? Or vice versa?

Any knowledge/thoughts......................

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Someone is doing a battery upgrade for the Leaf, increases the range to 300+ miles

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Wind turbine on the roof,
solar panels in a trailer,
bicycle pedals in the passenger footwell,
doggy treadmill in the back.
All with higher voltage output.

A longer extension lead would be just plain silly, wouldn't it?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Dont see why not , we have numerous ABB / Lenze drives in work that can be fine "tuned" for optimum operation via their parameter sets so i would imagine they could also be tuned for maximum (torque) operation at the expense of efficiency.

K

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Its unlikely to be just a remap, it will probably involve changes to batteries and control units to allow higher current flow.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Extra winds on the electric motor already being looked at on some electric cars, so yes the tuning world will be different but just as big as it ever was

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Same as any consumer market, if there is demand it’ll happen.
I think that may be the perfect car for eco conscious petrol heads. Mileage would suffer I’d guess if more power was being drawn which defeats the whole point. If more current flows (Than designed does at stock) then cables will need updating to handle the extra amperes or they’ll melt and Potentially set fire to the caro_O
I guess any tuning will be extensive due to work involved so cost many pennies.
When batteries advance further.......

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Tesla do over the air upgrades so would say its very possible.. the biggest hurdle would be how...
Articles suggest the 0-60 of 1.5 to 1.9 secs is on the limit of what tyres can take without shredding them.
A tesla guy in the usa stripped his of everything non essentail and has the king of drag strip cars..

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Indeed.
Is it entertaining for the crowds of petrol headed drunken fans to watch it race away in total silence though?..............

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Nah, I'm sure the tyres will be squealing...

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Is it entertaining for the crowds of petrol headed drunken fans to watch it race away in total silence though?.
who cares... Its very entertaining to watch a family saloon in stock form leave a highly tuned car thats had a small fortune spent on it behind :)

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
An analogy for a silent drag race:

I suppose electric performance cars will appeal to those among us who listen to music moving around the house silently with headphones on and whisper the words of a song. The petrolheads will endure rock music as loud as is possible with the bass vibrating the windows of the house whilst they scream along to ACDC 'Back in Black'!

My conclusion:
Motorsports should be loud enough to be 'felt'. Not numb and silent.

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Off shore powerboating? Can see them but cannot hear them.. Are they any less because you cant hear the roar of their multiple screaming v12,s?
I know your answer but would you rather have a noisy sloooow petrol, or this that should do over 250 mph? ;)

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
hahahahahhahahahah that was fcking mental. Yes I'd have one if I could affford it. I recently looked at electric cars and was tempted by a Panamera, but the V8 in me didn't bite the bullet.

I suppose I just enjoy the sensation of noise with acceleration. I started riding bikes at 14 so I imagine that's my connection.

Would a demolition derby or nascar have the same atmosphere if it was silent? Would monster trucks still sound so mean? Would the Jeepers Creepers truck still be so frightening?o_O

I suppose in some cases silence can me just as, if not more menacing.
Maybe my next car will have more than one battery, who knows. If the Discovery 4 was relaunched as electric then I'd get one for my commute.

Look at this :-(
If the '63 was mapped or the track had bends then the Merc would steal the show , but alas, for now electric wins off the line.

Last edited:

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
I suppose I just enjoy the sensation of noise with acceleration.
Its what we were all brought up upon so know no different?.. how many do their exhausts on their bikes then claim its so much quicker when in reality its just hell of a lot noisier ?
People are just not used to silent extreme power..
They are talking about that roadster maybe doing to 0-60 in 1.1 secs :shock: but its not due now until 2022 as the hgv and truck come first...
Its still cheaper to have a fast petrol than an electric - for now :cool: and we are still unsure what the future holds..

Last edited:

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
If the '63 was mapped or the track had bends then the Merc would steal the show
Its a bit like when musk claimed the model 3 would beat a bmw M around a track..
The bmw was far better and faster in the corners but between the corners it stood no chance..
thus the car that doesnt corner doesnt matter as it can still be faster round a circuit...
The ultimate has to be that vw id-r , for now... It goes round corners so fast people black out from the g force..
Im still not getting an electric car anytime soon though you will be plased to hear...

Top Bottom