Damn.....

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
To quote a thread on the forum....."What have you done to your Mercedes today?"

My answer today is "Had it written off"....:(

3 weeks ago, a young lady decided to pull out of a side road, straight into my path.I managed to slam on, but stopping 2 tons of LWB S-Class in about 4 metres, wasn't ever going to happen....

It has been assessed and has been deemed beyond economical repair.... W221 with night-vision means at least £2000 for the headlight alone and then when you factor in new bumper, wing and bonnet as well as labour & paint, it runs well past the 66% of the cars value at which point they write it off...

Now looking for a well spec'd W222.... and hating dealers who advertise their cars as being "fully loaded" when they are just basic models with no extras.

Already had a wasted trip to London on Saturday and one today to Sheffield... but at least the 620 miles has gone on the 69 plate Audi A8 I got as a courtesy car... and for the record, the new A8 isn't a patch on the S Class.... far too plasticy and complicated

Wish me luck!!

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Too many dealers are reluctant to provide the VIN, but with that you can save a lot of effort by knowing what was built in.
With a well equipped motor it's rare for any seller, but a more fanatical private seller, to understand all that is built in.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
To quote a thread on the forum....."What have you done to your Mercedes today?"

My answer today is "Had it written off"....:(

3 weeks ago, a young lady decided to pull out of a side road, straight into my path.I managed to slam on, but stopping 2 tons of LWB S-Class in about 4 metres, wasn't ever going to happen....

It has been assessed and has been deemed beyond economical repair.... W221 with night-vision means at least £2000 for the headlight alone and then when you factor in new bumper, wing and bonnet as well as labour & paint, it runs well past the 66% of the cars value at which point they write it off...

Now looking for a well spec'd W222.... and hating dealers who advertise their cars as being "fully loaded" when they are just basic models with no extras.

Already had a wasted trip to London on Saturday and one today to Sheffield... but at least the 620 miles has gone on the 69 plate Audi A8 I got as a courtesy car... and for the record, the new A8 isn't a patch on the S Class.... far too plasticy and complicated

Wish me luck!!
Good luck, avoid all cars in London though, rarely looked after....

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
barry jones

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good luck, avoid all cars in London though, rarely looked after....

Mercedes SL500 R231

I've bought my last 2 S Class's from London, the latest (just written off) was originally owned by the MD of Aldi... I know what you mean though, there are a lot of taxis down there.... just a pain having to look for another now, it took 18 months to find my last one in the spec it is... I only have the courtesy car for up to a week after their insurrers have made me the offer on mine

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bad luck losing the car that way. Hope you find something quickly.
Unless you need 4 doors don't discount the CL - won't be an ex taxi and less likely to have been a company car.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
That’s bad luck!!! Sorry to hear it. I’d be upset too.
In my car searches I always ask for the VIN now. Saves so much time and effort. if I don’t get the VIN they don’t get my money.
Good luck in your search.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
My sympathy Barry. The young lady living next door bought an absolutely mint small Toyota 3 months ago. Every single panel on the car has been battered - the bonnet is virtually bent in half but she is still driving it! Some young drivers seem oblivious to other road users.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Bad luck losing the car that way. Hope you find something quickly.
Unless you need 4 doors don't discount the CL - won't be an ex taxi and less likely to have been a company car.
S Coupe if you can stretch to it :p

OP
barry jones

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm currently in south wales working but have booked to go and look at a 2016 W222 LWB diesel in London tomorrow at a MB dealer... at least it will have a 12 month warranty :)

OP
barry jones

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I bit the bullet and bought a LWB W222.... Found it in Guilford at the MB dealer. Black with very light grey interior... 20" alloys and plenty og toys to keep me busy...

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Gutted for you.
Some nasty little cnut ran into the back of me last year and the scrote wasn't insured. I feel your frustration.

Good to see you've found a new motor to ease the pain :geek:

OP
barry jones

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gutted for you.
Some nasty little cnut ran into the back of me last year and the scrote wasn't insured. I feel your frustration.

That is awful.... I have been lucky that the last two accidents (both non-fault) have been with insured drivers.

A woman ran up the back of my in 2018, she got out of her mini and exclaimed "I'm awfully sorry, I got the heel of my shoe stuck under the brake pedal"... she was driving in 4" high heels!... my car was off the road for 8 weeks due to back order on the rear bumper, but I have a proper MB towbar on my W221 and it saved the car and wrecked the front of hers!!

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Gutted for you.

Ouch! What do you do in that case? Surely not just suck it up?

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
Well I bit the bullet and bought a LWB W222.... Found it in Guilford at the MB dealer. Black with very light grey interior... 20" alloys and plenty og toys to keep me busy...

Good luck with the W222. Still smiling with mine after over a year. The twin screen dashboard is like the starship enterprise.

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
That’s bad luck!!! Sorry to hear it. I’d be upset too.
In my car searches I always ask for the VIN now. Saves so much time and effort. if I don’t get the VIN they don’t get my money.
Good luck in your search.

When I was looking for a quote for some work a while ago, I emailed a bunch of workshops with the reg and asked them how much it would be do to X work. A bunch of them replied with the VIN in the quotation documentation.

If the dealer won't give you the VIN you can do this... if you don't have the reg from the AutoTrader advert, PM me.. I know how to get the reg from Autotrader adverts where the dealer has put a silly plate over the actual plate.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Pleased to hear you’ve filled the void, Barry. With luck you’ll have that “new car” feeling again in a few days !

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
When I was looking for a quote for some work a while ago, I emailed a bunch of workshops with the reg and asked them how much it would be do to X work. A bunch of them replied with the VIN in the quotation documentation.

If the dealer won't give you the VIN you can do this... if you don't have the reg from the AutoTrader advert, PM me.. I know how to get the reg from Autotrader adverts where the dealer has put a silly plate over the actual plate.
Cool. Thanks Conor!
I seriously doubt I’ll be buying another car now unless I win Euromillions, although I suspect you have to buy a ticket to win! :rolleyes:
I’d be hard pushed to decide on another car now I have the CLS shooting brake. :D

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom