Stiff bonnet

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
My bonnet is very slow to lift. It slowly raises itself to about chin level, then I have to force it up the rest of the way. The hinges and struts all look in good order, and I’ve given them a blast of wd40 and lifted/dropped the bonnet a few times, but it still feels far too stiff. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
Hello
Many men suffer from a stiff bonnet
Only joking sure someone can help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Sounds like the gas struts are tired. Probably one of them is no longer functioning. You can't tell by looking unfortunately.

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
-Hydraulic fluid in the strut has broken down over time. The struts are incredibly easy to exchange, have a look on-line at replacements to resolve your issue.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Thanks chaps, I’ll replace the duff strut.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
question being ... which is the duff strut? And if one has gone, then the other won't be far behind. Best replaced in pairs ;)
Yes, good point, ta

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Agreed.

-also I was half asleep when I responded as they may be gas filled not fluid filled. Either way they’re easy to replace. A single clip and a good tug.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Agreed.

-also I was half asleep when I responded as they may be gas filled not fluid filled. Either way they’re easy to replace. A single clip and a good tug.
Brilliant, ta. So they aren’t screwed in or bolted on? Do I literally just pull them off by hand? Any tips on whether to start at the top or the bottom? Sorry for all the (unintentionally erotic) questions, I try to avoid getting my hands dirty these days.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Be careful and make sure you prop the bonnet open when you remove a strut as the bonnet is likely too heavy for one strut to hold.

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
Be careful and make sure you prop the bonnet open when you remove a strut as the bonnet is likely too heavy for one strut to hold.
Hahahahhaa, sounds obvious but some people wouldn’t think of that.

You’re fine if you just replace one at a time.
You’ll need a small thin firm screwdriver to pry a spring clip open/forward to release any bearings in the end of the strut, and then you can tug the female off its male ball/stud. You may need to use some old cloths and a piece of softwood to get some leverage if you can’t pop the strut off by hand. Grease the new ones when putting them on as they will pivot slightly when in use.
I’d probably start at the bottom for no real reason.
It’s very easy, if you just have a look you'll see.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Ta.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
My bonnet is very slow to lift. It slowly raises itself to about chin level, then I have to force it up the rest of the way. The hinges and struts all look in good order, and I’ve given them a blast of wd40 and lifted/dropped the bonnet a few times, but it still feels far too stiff. Any suggestions?
That’s the way they are supposed to work.

I have had two new Mercedes E Class and both worked the same, they slowly rise to a set height and if you want it further opened push against slight resistance.

Unless of course your is different but my current car is a 2016 E350.

Robin

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
That’s the way they are supposed to work.

I have had two new Mercedes E Class and both worked the same, they slowly rise to a set height and if you want it further opened push against slight resistance.

Unless of course your is different but my current car is a 2016 E350.

Robin
Hi Robin. It does raise itself, but painfully slowly, and only to the point where I can’t see into the engine bay without crouching. The last few inches are really hard to lift, to the extent that I’m applying so much force it feels like something could easily break or bend. I’m pretty certain there is a fault.

AntMB

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 E270 Estate
Agreed.

Yep, a good tug of that stiff.....bonnet ;)

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
After reading this thread I've realised that the struts in my car must be gubbed, as soon as you release the bonnet catch, I have to lift my bonnet up, (Oo-er missus), it will stay in place where ever it's left but, definitely needs help to get there.

I've been so used to manual lift bonnets that I never even gave it a thought. :rolleyes:

I should have known better with all the auto devices fitted to the car. :D

Last edited:

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Hi Robin. It does raise itself, but painfully slowly, and only to the point where I can’t see into the engine bay without crouching. The last few inches are really hard to lift, to the extent that I’m applying so much force it feels like something could easily break or bend. I’m pretty certain there is a fault.

Mine opens enough to see and work on the engine the last part of the bonnet movement is quite stiff and needs a good push to fully open it.

I will add some photos.

8EA0BF6A-BC92-4C31-A12A-295A1EE93F70.jpeg 2E5663E1-EB1A-40DF-9D73-3C91A0E8707B.jpeg

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Mine opens enough to see and work on the engine the last part of the bonnet movement is quite stiff and needs a good push to fully open it.

I will add some photos.

View attachment 59809 View attachment 59810
Hi, mine doesn't reach that high. I'm 5'10" and it raises, very slowly, to somewhere between my chest and my chin, meaning I've got to duck under it to look at the engine bay, or give it a very hard slow push with both hands to fully raise it. I've got a new strut coming tomorrow - I'll try it on both sides to see if it improves things, then if it needs it I'll order another to match.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom