SL55 sitting for ~6 years. What now?

sl55monchmonch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
As you can tell from the title I have an SL55 which for various reasons has been sitting in my drive for around 6 years. I work on cars myself however this is an entirely new beast with the SBC and ABC, correct me if i'm wrong but i think those are the right terms.

Anyways, what would it take to get this SL55 starting again and what would it roughly cost, it hasnt started in 6 years. What can i work on myself and what cant i? I imagine all the rubbers and seals have gone bad as well as it been sitting in the harsh weather of england.
Anyways, thoughts?

EDIT: Just thought i'd add some things, its an '02, the first model year and it also has iirc around 15,000 miles. thanks for the help;

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
There's a load of things to do so make a list in order of importance. First thing to do is change the batteries and check the boot and passenger footwell for water leaks.

Check the engine will turn over manually and do an engine oil change.

I bet the car is not siting correctly on its suspension so I think that will be the next thing to look at.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
6 yr. Pretty sure 2 batteries to start with. Try that. Read codes. Note them. Clear all. See what happens.
Brake fluid change. If ABC works without drama throw a party! Chances are level sensors will need freeing off. If runs OK change all oils

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
First simple thing I'd check is whether the boot is full of water that is if you can open it with a key. If it is you're likely going to need a new pse pump and possibly roof pump. Then I'd check if the motor is locked or not. If not clean or replace plugs. New battery, fresh petrol and oil and filter and give it a try. These things are so full of elecktrickery that I'd want to get codes read with a good reader. Impossible to say what the cost of resurrection will be. I'm sure others will have more technical ideas, though. Good luck they are great cars.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
With only 15k miles, you could end up with a great car.
Unless you mean 150k?

OP
S

sl55monchmonch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
With only 15k miles, you could end up with a great car.
Unless you mean 150k?
15k, not 150k. Are you saying that cause if its only got 15k maybe stuff like the hydraulic suspension might not need replacing whereas if its got 150k it may? because i think the suspension is the area that freaks me out the most.

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
As above regarding water leaks and battery, definately turn the engine by hand before firing and providing it hasn't siezed, a full fluid change is in order so your next step is to reach deep into your pockets.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic so that'll have gone bad, oil will have condensation in it by now so will have turned creamy I expect. Spark plugs should be cleaned and gaps checked, tyres may have flat spots in, though these have a service life of five years tops anyway so I'd personally twist these off and buy some new boots (check dot markings).
Then I guess you'll find switches and solenoids have also decided to stick, along with brake caliper pistons etc. and as mentioned suspension may need some enthusiastic driving to free itself up providing it isn't shot. Make sure you strip brakes down fully and check operation, replace all brake pads and carefully inspect flexi pipes (recommend replacing these). Next you need to look at drive belts and I'd aim to renew these straight away once the engine has fired and ran.

Does the car even roll forwards or has it seized on the spot?
Depending upon your competency it may be worth while having a mechanic recommission the car for peace of mind? I'd bet you're looking at a couple of grand all-in, but if it only has 15k miles on it then it's a good investment.

Good luck, hope it's successful for you:)

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
What a shame you have not been able to use it. If I had more space, I'd say "Give it to me"?

Last edited:

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
What is the value of an sl55 that needs re-juicing with life? Will the metalwork have suffered due to the lack of waxing?

...because my interest has also peaked, I'd enjoy getting the old girl to roar again....I have the space..;)

Also rory, I'll see your Illegitimi non carborundum with my own cacatum non est pictum:geek: - we need to stick together in com. Ebor.

Last edited:
OP
S

sl55monchmonch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
Does the car even roll forwards or has it seized on the spot?
Depending upon your competency it may be worth while having a mechanic recommission the car for peace of mind? I'd bet you're looking at a couple of grand all-in, but if it only has 15k miles on it then it's a good investment.

Good luck, hope it's successful for you:)

Thnks for the indepth reply. I will definitely update you within the weeks, i hope. With this whole covid situation i should have a great amount of free time to fiddle with the sl55. Getting it fired on with no leaks or abc error light would be the best. the rest of the maintance should be a piece of cake considering how reliable most of the car is.

I really hope there's no water in it as ive seen first hand how destructive that can be.

btw what do you mean by: "suspension may need some enthusiastic driving to free itself up providing it isn't shot"
many thanks:)

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
The springs may need persuading to move again if they’ve not flexed for a while? A bouncy road should sort that
;-)
No idea really, just a thought.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Which part of the country are you in?
There maybe someone interested enough in this to give you a hand reading codes and perhaps assisting with spanners.

The things that need doing:
1. Check boot opens and replace both the boot battery and the one under the bonnet.
2. Verify car is watertight
3. Remove spark plugs and turn over by hand (you only need remove 1 per cylinder).
4. Check plug condition before refitting.
5. Start engine.
6. Check for leaks.
7. Clear all codes.
8. Check disk condition and replace as necessary.
9. Check serpentine belt for cracks. Replace as necessary.
10. Change coolant.
11. Change brake fluid.
12. Change oil and filter
13. Change ABC fluid and filter
14. Run engine to temperature and check for leaks.
15. Verify ABC raises and lowers correctly.
16. Ready for road test.
17. Read codes.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Batteries and turn the engine on the crank. I'm sure it will be free though.

Check the boot floor for water accumulation. It will need a full fluid change (abc, brake, gearbox, engine oil, maybe not coolant depending on when it was last done.) tyres will probably be perished as well, but again, depending on their age. Belts will need changing as well.

I'd imagine the suspension is sitting on the bump stops. Before running it, check the levels on the abc pump and then allow the car to run for 1 minute before trying to raise the car.

Otherwise it will probably be fine!

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
photos would be nice showing all the steps back to glory:D

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
If the engine hasn't turned for 6 years I would be inclined to remove a plug per cylinder and give each cylinder a really good squirt of Plus Gas. Give it 30 mins or so and then attempt to turn the engine manually. Do it before changing the oil and filter.

badger_wazzala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 AMG
It seems we’re all on a similar page with advice for the monch, so see if he/she rolls their sleeves up. Compression test kits are also cheap enough on amazon and simple to use.

I’ll also repeat:
Photos of each step would be beneficial to any future searches as other old mercs get resuscitated in the years to come.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Best bet would be to not bother and just give me the car, I have a bit of space on the drive...:rolleyes:
Nowhere near enough at yours John. I have far more space and can keep it nice and dry while I fix it.

OP
S

sl55monchmonch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
It seems we’re all on a similar page with advice for the monch, so see if he/she rolls their sleeves up. Compression test kits are also cheap enough on amazon and simple to use.

I’ll also repeat:
Photos of each step would be beneficial to any future searches as other old mercs get resuscitated in the years to come.
thanks everyone for the replies. once i get started and have the car in my garage ill definetly get some pictures of it in its present state and once its fixed up. I will try to get some step by steps; for i will be creating a parts list and then diagnose the car checking off what parts i need. it seems like an easier job than i thought but we wont know until i get the scanner out.

I cannot promise an update soon or within a few days but there will be an update. Many thanks for the brilliant answers :)

Top Bottom