SORN and Insurance

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Just sorting out the insurance for picking up the CLS on Thursday and I’m told that even though the old car is not on the public highway if it’s not insured then it HAS to be on SORN!
How odd! Any suggestions how people can visit and take it out for a test drive without a massive rigmarole?
I was planning re-insuring it for 7 days if anyone came to view but then if it’s on SORN I’ll have to tax it again and lose a months tax when I sell it!
What a daft idea, or is there a way to do this that I’m somehow missing?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I think if it is not taxed it must be SORN`d , could you not have just insured both cars via a multi car policy and left the tax on it until the car is sold which may take a while in this present climate at least this way the car can still be moved to facilitate test drives plus it will be covered , insurance wise, for unforeseen circumstances .

K

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I think if it is not taxed it must be SORN`d , could you not have just insured both cars via a multi car policy and left the tax on it until the car is sold which may take a while in this present climate at least this way the car can still be moved to facilitate test drives plus it will be covered , insurance wise, for unforeseen circumstances .

K
I was intending keeping the tax on it and applying for insurance once it gets any interest. What I will do is search for short term insurance I think

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I insure both cars via Admiral , to add a second car was not too expensive and the policy can be amended when (if) any car was sold and it would just be the admin fee that would be charged (£25 via phone / £10 online)

dont know how much short term insurance is but i would imagine it will be more expensive than a multi car policy where the second car is cancelled once sold.

If you pay tax via DD then continuing to pay a months extra tax will be less of a faff then taxing / cancelling it to suit selling the car.

K

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I insure both cars via Admiral , to add a second car was not too expensive and the policy can be amended when (if) any car was sold and it would just be the admin fee that would be charged (£25 via phone / £10 online)

dont know how much short term insurance is but i would imagine it will be more expensive than a multi car policy where the second car is cancelled once sold.

If you pay tax via DD then continuing to pay a months extra tax will be less of a faff then taxing / cancelling it to suit selling the car.

K
Yes, it is paid by DD so my intention was to keep it taxed until August.
Just done an online short term search and it was £288 for 28 days! :shock:
It’s a 2008 Ford Focus estate!
I’ll contact my current insurers to see what they can do :mad:

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Reinsured it on my current policy for 28 days from 2/7 for the sum of £38.
Blimey, what a palaver! :rolleyes:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Should've cancelled the tax, it's the end of month anyway so taking out tax for 1 day or more in July makes no difference. If it sits you save on a month.

If I remember though there may be a 3 day period between SORN and retax??

A nice bonus from AA insurance. We bought Mrs Me's Civic mid June. They allow 2 weeks insurance on the old motor to allow for a sale, and for nowt.
I'm sure this won't apply to all makes but I advertised the 2003 Gr Cherokee late Sunday. By Tuesday there were close on 500 views (eBay classified) about 60 watchers and numerous enquiries. Of course they range from I'll give you a tenner to respectable offers (5 of'em).

Unseen the buyer transferred £1,750 into my account and collected 1pm Wednesday.

The dealers I've spoken to say their cars are being bought up at a rapid rate and they're having trouble stocking up replacements.

Good Luck.

OP
s5tuart

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
Should've cancelled the tax, it's the end of month anyway so taking out tax for 1 day or more in July makes no difference. If it sits you save on a month.

If I remember though there may be a 3 day period between SORN and retax??

A nice bonus from AA insurance. We bought Mrs Me's Civic mid June. They allow 2 weeks insurance on the old motor to allow for a sale, and for nowt.
I'm sure this won't apply to all makes but I advertised the 2003 Gr Cherokee late Sunday. By Tuesday there were close on 500 views (eBay classified) about 60 watchers and numerous enquiries. Of course they range from I'll give you a tenner to respectable offers (5 of'em).

Unseen the buyer transferred £1,750 into my account and collected 1pm Wednesday.

The dealers I've spoken to say their cars are being bought up at a rapid rate and they're having trouble stocking up replacements.

Good Luck.
Thank you. My actual insurance cost from Tesco was £13 plus the £25 amendment fee.
I wasn’t sure if the salesman selling me the CLS was playing me or not but he said the same thing about not being able to find enough stock, and indeed the forecourt did look a bit bare.

He also said there was a queue to buy the CLS and I just happened to put my deposit down first. At first I thought it was just sales patter but circumstances seem to bear that out now.
I owe him an apology! :D

My Focus is on FeeBay with only 1 watcher at the moment. I’d like it gone ASAP and have the Make an Offer checked to facilitate it.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
The eBay auction is just a nuisance, imo.
I paid the fixed fee and set a price, a little higher than my expectation.

All bids were rejected, the more reasonable bids carried a message of thanks but saying that offers for an unseen vehicle was fraught with issue. Anyone wishing to view was welcome and then discuss.
The buyer made offers, I refused. He offered the transfer (which I wouldn't, unseen), so the risk was his.

Where my strategy might have failed is if someone had agreed at the asking price. As then I may get messed about but the sale would have ended. I think.

Oh, prior to advertising and seeing other asking prices I would have been happy to get rid at £500. 17 years old, only 94k miles, after 10 years we had had ours from it.

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom