W204 ABS/ESP Fault Tracing

whitegold

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 cdi Blue Efficiency SE MY2012
Good afternoon, I'm seeing the following 2 codes from the ESP module -
C1117 (not in database)
C3271 (Implausible readings from front axle wheelsensor)

ESP, ABS, Runflat indicator all in malfunction status.

There's constant 0.6m/s speed data from the Front Right sensor - despite this being a new sensor which I have replaced today. There's no obvious wiring damage, anywhere.

Also noticed the data stream for the Lateral Acceleration sensor is fluctuating between 0m/s*2 and 25m/s*2 every 3 or 4 seconds.

I plan to inspect the seal ring next, but I'm hoping someone could first clarify the code C1117, which I can't find anywhere.

Model is MY2012 C220cdi SE Blue Efficiency which has the yaw sensor built into its ESP Module.

Thanks for any/all replies

Simon

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Wheel speed sensors are very common fault on these. Have you changed the right one and was it a genuine one?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Pretty sure C1117 is a right front wheel speed sensor fault.
Not sure on your car but some MBs use a magnet in the hub seal. These can get damaged on occasion which will cause issues. When you replaced the sensor did you use genuine? Some cheaper sensor can be problematic.

OP
W

whitegold

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok thanks for that, I will check the magnetic hub seal for damage and re-visit the sensor and its wiring circuit. Before total failure it had been a very occasional intermittent fault - possibly 3 or 4 times in 18 months/ 10k miles.

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
Hello
I’m going through the exact same problem for around 2/3 months
Change the sensor and hug ring and then the abs module.
The car went into the Indy today to code the module to the car , I’ve had a phone call to say it looks like it’s going to work but they still have the car so not there yet but it’s looking good
I bought the module from eBay
Hopefully yours won’t be this much hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
What machine are you using for diagnostics,?

sidmon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 190E 1989 2.0
Good afternoon, I'm seeing the following 2 codes from the ESP module -
C1117 (not in database)
C3271 (Implausible readings from front axle wheelsensor)

ESP, ABS, Runflat indicator all in malfunction status.

There's constant 0.6m/s speed data from the Front Right sensor - despite this being a new sensor which I have replaced today. There's no obvious wiring damage, anywhere.

Also noticed the data stream for the Lateral Acceleration sensor is fluctuating between 0m/s*2 and 25m/s*2 every 3 or 4 seconds.

I plan to inspect the seal ring next, but I'm hoping someone could first clarify the code C1117, which I can't find anywhere.

Model is MY2012 C220cdi SE Blue Efficiency which has the yaw sensor built into its ESP Module.

Thanks for any/all replies

Simon

Gone through similar issue, a easyish way to test your ABS rings is to swap the hubs over from side to side (not as difficult as it might first sound) then see if the fault follows it to the other side or stays. Also gives you a good chance to clean up any debris you might have on them and the ABS sensor.

OP
W

whitegold

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sensor now replaced with an updated dealer-sourced MB part, which has superseded the original sensor.
New version is A204 905 43 05
That's now working as expected.

OP
W

whitegold

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What machine are you using for diagnostics,?
Launch CRP129 Premium.
The live data for the Lateral Acceleration Sensor is still unstable, (alternates between 0m/s2 or 25m/s2) but I've tried another ABS/ESP module which displays the same issue. On cornering the readings look feasible enough, with slight fluctuations. There's precious little public info about the W204 facelift which has an integrated Acceleration Sensor, rather than the earlier models with a floor mounted sensor that was prone to various failures.

bertb1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 amp sport 2013
Hello
I’ve just got mine all working again
Had to get the new module coded to the car , it look about 3 days but worked in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom