W211 Wheel bearing change issues

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
I've just had my bearing changed (bearing/races) using a Febi replacement. As I drove off the ESP light started flickering, and then the ABS/ESP warnings started, and the servotronic steering went a bit haywire.

I feel stupid, I've seen the warnings. I presume the fault lies with the seal containing the sensor ring. Rather than starting all over again could I just fit a better quality seal? Either from Mercedes or similar? Thanks

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Febi stuff is top quality, are you sure you fitted it correctly or was the old one really worn so the car thinks the pick up forcthe sensor is off ?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
It is very sensitive to right distance, and allows no gap in bearing (I assume this is tight and ok with new bearing)

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Me -2019 GLC 350 coupe AMG line. Mrs- ford kuga 65 plate awd powershift .
oh dear !!!! too much grease can stop you making the gap , you cant compress a fluid ,so people keep on tightening the end float nut and bingo ,another f**d set of bearings .

merc might sell you a ring if you ask nicely. :)

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
When you put the seal on it needs to be flush to the hub. There's a tendency for most people to knock it in all the way.

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
oh dear !!!! too much grease can stop you making the gap , you cant compress a fluid ,so people keep on tightening the end float nut and bingo ,another f**d set of bearings .

merc might sell you a ring if you ask nicely. :)
They will for £20. That's fine, hope it works though. Suddenly buying the whole hub for £200 seems not such a bad idea!!!

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They guys who did it have done literally hundreds of W211, they're very popular with taxi drivers. I've heard (since I ordered it) that the Febi bearings can cause this?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used lucas and had a mare...

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They guys who did it have done literally hundreds of W211, they're very popular with taxi drivers. I've heard (since I ordered it) that the Febi bearings can cause this?

Shirley if they have done hundreds they'd of come across febi bearings by now or at least inform you of which to buy ??

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shirley if they have done hundreds they'd of come across febi bearings by now or at least inform you of which to buy ??
It's a good point, but they're honesty decent mechanics. I wonder if the seal has been driven in too far if it would be possible to prise it out a bit without removing the hub/damaging it?

It seems a bit of a crappy design, why not just have a track disc on the outside like the C Class?

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Doubt you'll pry it without hurting it tbh. Why would they have tapped it too far if they've done 100's ..

I used a piece of 2x2 it stops flush with the hub.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you sure you didn't have a go and messed it up. :)

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've just jacked the car up, the wheel spins freely with no intermittent binding, I'm sure the races have been seated correctly. TBH they're not going to stich me up, they'll fit the genuine MB seal with no hassel. I'm just worried what I'll do if that doesn't sort it out.

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you sure you didn't have a go and messed it up. :)
No way!!!!!! I'd be honest if I had, why lie, it's my car!? There's no way I'd get involved in hacking out old races etc, can't be bothered. I know what you mean though, I'd have probably asked the same thing!!

Having said all that, there's too much play, you can see the wheel moving slightly when you rock it. So it's not adjusted correctly.

onefortheroad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've just jacked the car up, the wheel spins freely with no intermittent binding, I'm sure the races have been seated correctly. TBH they're not going to stich me up, they'll fit the genuine MB seal with no hassel. I'm just worried what I'll do if that doesn't sort it out.

2 choices . Buy a mb bearing kit with seal ... and try again or buy a complete hub .

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I tightened the hub, it hasn't helped tbh. But it's stopped a vibration that developed at 70 mph. The green grease around the spindle had already started turning dark grey., is that normal? I'm going to try and reseal it, failing that I'll buy one of those Mapco hubs. How difficult is it to remove the caliper, I know to unplug the SBC unit. If I can't get it booked in I'll try it myself.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom