Cyclist/Scooterists with no lights.....(rant)

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
I spoke with police officers yesterday and they said that it's not a legal requirement to have lights on your bike...

While this is true it is a legal requirement to have lights between dusk and dawn if you are riding it. I don't think too many people are concerned if they are on your bike, helmet, bag or clothes as long as you can see or be seen e.g plain common sense.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
While this is true it is a legal requirement to have lights between dusk and dawn if you are riding it. I don't think too many people are concerned if they are on your bike, helmet, bag or clothes as long as you can see or be seen e.g plain common sense.

Say that again, I am confused?

You are saying the police are wrong?

"They are on my bike". The problem is pedestrians cant see the bike and might walk out in front of it.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Say that again, I am confused?

You are saying the police are wrong?

"They are on my bike". The problem is pedestrians cant see the bike and might walk out in front of it.
Just...turn them on Conor.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The point being?

That not having lights on your bike is dangerous. And not legally requiring them is bad. Requiring reflectors shows disregard for pedestrians.

My point was that I forgot to turn on my light one time and this was highlighted to me by a pedestrian.

Naraics comment to me to just turn on my light is nonsense in this thread and detracts from the main point.

Where do you see that it is a legal requirement to have lights between dusk and dawn.. not saying you are wrong. The police men I asked could easily be wrong too.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well.. I'll be damned. I am going to try and find this poxy moron of a copper who doesn't even know the and see what he says. Did I say I was disillusioned?!

Based on the above and other similar experiences.. does anybody ever find that police officers often find ways to excuse themselves not having to enforce something?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Did I mention my fold up electric bike, that I got from a marine chandler, comes with led lights as standard and has a switch and telltale on the controller on the handlebars too.

No reason not to be fitted as standard on every bicycle in the 21st century.

Those trendy Brompton bikes at 4x the price don't have lights as standard :shock::rolleyes::geek:

Conor you are a bit of a rebel. No bicycles lights used, shooting red traffic lights, whatever next will be divulged?

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Well.. I'll be damned. I am going to try and find this poxy moron of a copper who doesn't even know the and see what he says. Did I say I was disillusioned?!

Based on the above and other similar experiences.. does anybody ever find that police officers often find ways to excuse themselves not having to enforce something?

I’m a bit disappointed tbh that someone with a driving license doesn’t know this.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’m a bit disappointed tbh that someone with a driving license doesn’t know this.

I was always under the impression that a light was a legal requirement... but please forgive me for being open to correction by a ****** police officer out of all people. When a person employed to enforce the law tells me something about the law, I would intend to believe them.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So...I wasn't wrong...and not missing the point. Apply a little common sense and forget about the copper. BTW...there is no requirement to have lights on your bike...unless riding after dark.

I was discussing the context of dark with the police officer.

Did I mention my fold up electric bike, that I got from a marine chandler, comes with led lights as standard and has a switch and telltale on the controller on the handlebars too.

No reason not to be fitted as standard on every bicycle in the 21st century.

Those trendy Brompton bikes at 4x the price don't have lights as standard :shock::rolleyes::geek:

Conor you are a bit of a rebel. No bicycles lights used, shooting red traffic lights, whatever next will be divulged?

I never shot a red light. I stopped which was my point.

I do use bicycle lights. I cycled home from work one evening when it was bright and half way through it was dark and I had't noticed to turn them on, until highlighted by a pedestrian.

I'm not sure if you guys are trying to wind me up or not.. or just not interested in the issues at hand.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I've been frightened a few times by bicycles without lights or reflectors on the road in the dark. It always seems to be 15 yr old kids wearing black or grey clothing. I assume their parents are tired of teenagers and leave them to their own devices.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Conor there is an App on my mobile phone that comes as standard, called 'weather'. It displays 'sunset' which tonight is 21:04 in my locale, and 'sunrise' at 05:18 in the morning. A good indication of when lights should be used on a mode of road/cycleway transport. It's also a requirement for lights in reduced visibility.

Modern cars have automatic lights. Perhaps there are similar for bike lights. We are after all in the tech age where everything has to be digital.

What is the point in tech if the tech generation don't use it? Us old timers learned by getting a clip round the ear from a copper for riding without lights.

But don't forget we were young once and didn't listen to our elders either. But today it's there forever on the
Tinternet

You've been on here long enough to know when we are joshing with you :D

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
haha perhaps I am too serious sometimes :)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The old internet and text.. emotion get's lost.

If we were down the pub it would be much better. Ah I miss those days.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Given you yourself have forgotten to turn the lights on it'll probably do your blood pressure good to assume everyone riding without lights has done the same and brush it off.

Getting to the ins and outs of the highway code is pointless. It's obviously common sense and in the highway code and may or may not be legally enforeable... but regardless, like speed limits, some will ignore it and others obey. Like speed limits some will ignore it when safe (e.gthrough well lit low speed roads) and others will be stupid and put themselves in danger. In a car or even as a pedestrian the stats show practically zero danger from cyclists so if they want to risk it then it's up to them.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Conor don't "unload" on the copper, it'll make a mess of his dark uniform.

I agree with needing better legislation for bike lights.
Have 'em yes, but not bright LED's right in my face. Being seen is important but that can impair my vision of others on a dark road.
That's not aimed at you Conor.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You wouldn't like my eyeball melting off road cycling lights then Martin - allegedly 6000 lumens (though they are Chinese so smaller lumens than normal).

On a different matter....
Yesterday encountered a cyclist riding the wrong way on a one way street and with a mobile phone being held to his ear....

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
You wouldn't like my eyeball melting off road cycling lights then Martin - allegedly 6000 lumens (though they are Chinese so smaller lumens than normal).

On a different matter....
Yesterday encountered a cyclist riding the wrong way on a one way street and with a mobile phone being held to his ear....

That's common around here, people even park their cars, on the pavement, the wrong way in a One-Way street around here. :mad::mad:

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom