DVLA, I'm now confused.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I might work this one out as I type.
I appreciate that the DVLA will be undermanned due to Covid. their phone lines and email aren't manned and trying them results in pointless effort.

It relates to Larisa swapping from the old trusty Jeep Gr Cherokee to her prettier Civic.

12 June the Civic is bought, at the dealers the V5 new owner details are updated electronically, and taxed.
A V5 is received with Larisa as reg'd keeper, with original civic registration. All good.

15 June She transferred the Jeep private plate to retention, so the Jeep then goes on to its original 03 plate.
A retention document is received confirming this. All good.

18 June the private plate is assigned to the Civic, electronically.
As confirmation the updated V5 is received showing the Civic with private plate. All good.

24 June the Jeep is sold. A sale receipt is created we both sign. The only V5 for the Jeep is the V5 showing the Jeep with private plate so that is used to demonstrate the change of keeper, we both send to DVLA. It can't be done electronically as the reference number is no longer applicable, as the updated V5 with new ref number and showing original reg number hasn't been received, and never has been since. So the confusion.

Both us and seller are monitoring the Gov't site for when the Jeep shows as untaxed, as tax can no longer be transferred with a vehicle, it still hasn't happened.

Today the buyer messaged to say he has received 'a' V5. It turns out that V5 shows change of keeper on 24 June, for the Civic, with private plate.

While the Jeep shows as taxed on the original plate, so DVLA still see Larisa as owner,
the Civic, on private plate, now shows as untaxed.

What has never been created is a V5 transfer of the Civic on 24 June. That was the Jeep.
So they have the Jeep transfer but have applied it to the Civic.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
It is all a bit confusing.....
It is my understanding(maybe wrong) that you should not have sold the Jeep until a new V5 had been issue with the correct registration number on it.
This part of the DVLA seems to be running ok because I recently went through a similar process.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is all a bit confusing.....
It is my understanding(maybe wrong) that you should not have sold the Jeep until a new V5 had been issue with the correct registration number on it.
This part of the DVLA seems to be running ok because I recently went through a similar process.

As yet we still haven't received the updated V5 for the Jeep. That's since the plate change 15th June. But the retention document of the number that was on the Jeep till that day did come through.
In fact the private plate that was on the Jeep has been applied to the Civic, V5 received to confirm. But now they see the Civic as being transferred to the new owner of the Jeep.

Online the Jeep, with original number, is there with tax. They have definitely swapped numbers for the Jeep, just no V5.

It looks to me as though because the DVLA have received the V5 for the Jeep, but showing the private plate, they have transferred ownership of the plate and that is now assigned to the Civic so the Civic has been transferred with it, possibly automatically??

I can see that if we had waited for the arrival of the Jeep V5 with original registration this confusion might have been avoided.
The problem there is that we are legally bound to inform of the transfer of the vehicle. And even now the updated Jeep V5 hasn't arrived.
Also if there was possibility of making contact, phone or email, this could have been sorted by asking them where that V5 is.

I'm pretty sure this will be deemed to be our fault whatever.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Yeah ain't that the truth.......it usually always is. :(:rolleyes::(

Reactions: M80

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
As yet we still haven't received the updated V5 for the Jeep. That's since the plate change 15th June. But the retention document of the number that was on the Jeep till that day did come through.
In fact the private plate that was on the Jeep has been applied to the Civic, V5 received to confirm. But now they see the Civic as being transferred to the new owner of the Jeep.

Online the Jeep, with original number, is there with tax. They have definitely swapped numbers for the Jeep, just no V5.

It looks to me as though because the DVLA have received the V5 for the Jeep, but showing the private plate, they have transferred ownership of the plate and that is now assigned to the Civic so the Civic has been transferred with it, possibly automatically??

I can see that if we had waited for the arrival of the Jeep V5 with original registration this confusion might have been avoided.
The problem there is that we are legally bound to inform of the transfer of the vehicle. And even now the updated Jeep V5 hasn't arrived.
Also if there was possibility of making contact, phone or email, this could have been sorted by asking them where that V5 is.

This is what local DVLA offices were great at, sorting out problems. I would simply write to the DVLA (not email), pointing out their errors and enclosing photocopies of what they have sent to you. I've always found that they are good at sorting this stuff, albeit currently slower due to this dreaded lurgy thing. Hope it works out for you quickly.

OP
M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mrs Me got through on the phone yesterday eve. I was surprised as when I tried a couple of weeks ago the 1st attempt at 12:30 was press #, press #, wait and be told this is lunchtime ring again after 1pm. I did and after the pressing and waiting was then told the lines aren't operating. I start to shout at walls when my time is wasted this way.

Anyway 'I' actually spoke to a live human (Mrs Me delegating the task). He listened and had access to the relevant files. The Civic tax was cancelled on 22 July, that being their day to decide to transfer it to another. We must tax again from 1st August, exept the new promised V5 isn't likely to be here for a while.
I suggested there are pending prosecutions if APNR has spotted this illegal vehicle dodging the tax, as it is still in use. I was assured this shouldn't happen, low confidence response there. The (should be) owner of the Jeep would unfortunately be defending that though as the V5 is now in her name.

As for the Jeep, it looks like it's taxed although it shouldn't have been since 24 June, we'll worry about recovering that later. Any speeding fines or such would come here I presume.

TBH I'm unlikely to have patience in a court room as some self important Magistrate looks over their glasses at me as though I have no right to have stuck to their shoe as they stood on me.
I've made claims in the CC against abusive tenants and enjoyed that result.
In the event best I let Mrs Me attend and hope it's a sex starved bloke.
Actually she has an expertise in confusing the confusers and looking like her immaculate kids were created by miracle, so I would enjoy that as entertainment.

Last edited:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I would hazard a guess you are a long way off appearing in Court.

Many Government services including the Courts are coping with a huge backlog.

Tis the nature of the beast at the moment.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom