Sh*t start to my holiday

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
VW Scirocco. The Quattro, E350 CDi Blue Efficiency Sport Coupe, now both gone
The car went to the bodyshop today and surprisingly they left me a Seat Leon as my courtesy car. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a Corsa or something equally low spec as my run around, however the Leon is not to bad at all. It's quiet, nippy enough and has a DAB stereo unit fitted, all I need to put up with is paying for the petrol.:D

They reckon it'll take a week to ten days to do, mainly due to them being at 70% staff rate and the back log of work that, that has created. :)

I asked if they could give me an estimate for powder coating the other three alloys too, instead of just the one which was damaged. That way they'll all turn out the same colour, and prevent my guy trying to get a match with the remaining three. I could get the four of them done trade through my contacts for £266. If they are even slightly close, £300 ish for the three, I'll get them to do it, I might even go to £400 for the three to save mucking about and to get the match that I would like. ;) :D

I was very close to being able to afford my remap there too, typical. :rolleyes:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
....., he thinks I'm in the wrong and at fault and I know :geek: he's at fault, so, the Ins Co's can fight it out. .....
How could you possible be in the wrong? Short of drifting your car sideways down the road, how could you hit his car with the side of yours? :confused:

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How could you possible be in the wrong? Short of drifting your car sideways down the road, how could you hit his car with the side of yours? :confused:

His opinion is that I was going too fast, and, cut the corner/lane despite the hostile witness who also thought I was going too fast when I passed her 1/2 a mile earlier, saying I stayed in my own lane and he turned into me. Something he also admitted at the time.

I think "stubborn old boy" is the polite expression, apparently I was not allowed to pass him on the nearside lane when he was, as of the last time I saw the back of his car, indicating his intention to turn right and then changed lanes mid roundabout, without the diligence of the appropriate "due care and attention".

He said that he had indicated his intention to turn left but how he expected me to see this when I was alongside him I'll never know, the wonderful thing is that the witness said she did not see him indicate in either direction. Ok, my car may have obscurred the view, when the right indicator was flashing, (which my wife did see and can and will corroberate). However we were side by side when he alledged his indication for the left lane and said witness saw nothing except, him turning into me.

I'm looking forward to my day in court as any decent solicitor will tear him to shreds, with the witness statement available.

Last edited:
OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Got my car back this morning! Yaaaaeee!
It was delivered at 6-30 a.m. just before I left for work so, basically it was a quick once over to check panel gaps and colour match, which were all good as far as I could see, and pay for the XS and extras I asked for, I’d asked for all the alloys to be refurbished to match the damaged one, and then off to work.
I’m quite surprised at the lift in mood getting my own car back has given me, I really missed it and I have a smile on my face for a change.
I’ll give it a proper once over when I get home tonight and after a wash and reapplication of the ceramic coat it’ll be perfect once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Yes, it’s like the return of a family pet and sudden everything’s right with the world.
Enjoy your car Jimbo!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Enjoy the car, just got mine back from Service and am a happy bunny now I can squirt the windscreen again!

Unfortunately it is highly unlikely you will get your day in Court, in my experience the insurers tend to roll over and agree knock for knock and share the expense and you don't get much choice.

They prefer this as they both get to cane their insureds' on premium renewals for 5 years moving forward. They tell you your NCB is still available but simply raise the base premium to counter it.

The only way to avoid the insurance rip off is to negotiate/deal with the other parties insurance company yourself telling your insurer you are handling it and not claiming on your insurance.

This means you have to front repairs yourself if necessary and then you can sue the party to recover all losses (this is the point when the other party's insurer normally collapses and pays out).

This has worked for me over the years whenever some dumb driver has misbehaved.

Mercedes SL500 R231

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Enjoy the car, just got mine back from Service and am a happy bunny now I can squirt the windscreen again!

Unfortunately it is highly unlikely you will get your day in Court, in my experience the insurers tend to roll over and agree knock for knock and share the expense and you don't get much choice.

They prefer this as they both get to cane their insureds' on premium renewals for 5 years moving forward. They tell you your NCB is still available but simply raise the base premium to counter it.

The only way to avoid the insurance rip off is to negotiate/deal with the other parties insurance company yourself telling your insurer you are handling it and not claiming on your insurance.

This means you have to front repairs yourself if necessary and then you can sue the party to recover all losses (this is the point when the other party's insurer normally collapses and pays out).

This has worked for me over the years whenever some dumb driver has misbehaved.

Mercedes SL500 R231

You can probably overcome that to a certain extent by using Moneysupermaaaaaarrrket or similar :rolleyes::)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Happy car back, to you! Jim.
:):D

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
You can probably overcome that to a certain extent by using Moneysupermaaaaaarrrket or similar :rolleyes::)
Yes agreed but you will still have a fault accident on your record so will still end up worse off than using Money Supermarket without that declaration.....

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Having a witness or preferably two will be key to the outcome

I've got an independant witness thank goodness, who confirms that the other party turned into me on the roundabout and she did not see his alleged indicator, the one I couldn't have seen anyway as I was alongside him at this point. Funnily enough the OP also confirmed in front of witnesses that he turned into me to.

My speed limiter was in the car, she saw everything and, is also a driver, she fully blames the OP and believe me when I say, if I was at fault, she wouldn't be slow about letting the world know. The truth is her God, and God help anyone on the wrong side of the truth.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Thank goodness for that Jim makes things much more straight forward and you won’t have to suffer loss of your no-claims bonus, too easy for insurance companies to find both drivers responsible without a witness.

Glad you’ve got the car back and they’ve done a good job always a tense time

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Would this have been simplified with a dash cam footage ?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Do you have a dashcam? That will quickly show you holding your lane and be the end of any argument.

Fitted dash cams front and rear. So lovely don't get any Grey areas in event of small accident.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Would this have been simplified with a dash cam footage ?

All the dash cam would have shown Wighty, was confirmation of him indicating a right turn at the roundabout and me passing him on the nearside in expectation of him turning right. It would also have shown the road layout (and why I was so *issed off at him for changing lanes unnecessarily).
Unfortunately the contact moment might only have been visible on a rear facing camera with a fish eye lens, however, I'm not sure even then.
To answer your question though, if it had all been visible on a camera it would have helped.

OP
Jimbo1959

Jimbo1959

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Update.....

IMG_4541.JPG IMG_4543.JPG IMG_4542.JPG

Washed, dried and restored to beauty again. :geek::geek::geek:

God..... she looks gorgeous when the sun's highlighting her. :D:D:D

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
That's a good paint match Jim and Silver is historically not an easy one to match :) Front discs look a bit rusty, have you just washed it ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom