MB dropping alot of models

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
Depends on the SUV

It really does as i can think of two suv,s that are crazy fast and will beat most pertrol cars!
Some motoring journalists are saying while the rest of the world is concentrating on electric the germans are still messing around with petrol, diesel and hybrids and may get left behind.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Depends on the SUV - the footprint of my GLC is very similar to your SL, roughly the same width with mirrors and the GLC just 24mm longer (even if it’s not a proper AMG :()

I have a loaner C200 coupe (2020) standing in my garage and was surprised that it is pretty much the same size as my SL.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
It really does as i can think of two suv,s that are crazy fast and will beat most pertrol cars!
Some motoring journalists are saying while the rest of the world is concentrating on electric the germans are still messing around with petrol, diesel and hybrids and may get left behind.
I seriously doubt that they will. The Germans have proved a lot of things in industry, one of them is that they don’t get left very far behind in many areas for very long. Also, don’t discount brand loyalty...

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I seriously doubt that they will. The Germans have proved a lot of things in industry, one of them is that they don’t get left very far behind in many areas for very long. Also, don’t discount brand loyalty...

The next few years could see the established players having their "Nokia" moment. The Germans are very late to the party with the new technology - if you want electric even Kia and Hyundai have much better offerings and if you want a hybrid IMO you'd be mad not to just get a Toyota one that is proven in taxis the world over for atleast 20 years.

Sure the big 3 have brand loyalty and nicer interiors, for now, which could let them get away with it for a little while, but I don't think MB can claim to be an innovative/engineering company like they were in the 80s/90s (wasn't it the case that 85% of new technology on normal cars originated from S classes at one point in time?!). Now it seems to be the drivetrain technology comes from elsewhere and is implemented (badly and half heartedly) 3 years later in MB models in an attempt to tick a box on the offering chart. The Germans seem to have got platform sharing down to a tee (hence allowing them to introduce so many models) and that's about it innovation wise.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Platform sharing is absolutely key to long term profitability. The Germans- specifically VAG- have this as a design fundamental philosophy. Remember what level of disruption electric or hybrid powertrains mean; they affect the engine, transmission and axle makers, not necessarily the carmakers who assemble the big kit of parts. It’s at the level of the carmaker that’s we look at profitability, and there’s little to no difference between the physical structure of a hybrid or EV vs. an ICEV; rather, the materials and methods by which those structure is assembled is identical between the different powertrain types. So, the big question is, how long will the big German carmakers take to specify and develop hybrid and electric powertrains that are competitive against the rest of the mass market? Seeing as the carmaker doesn’t usually design its own transmissions or axles, but has a Tier 1 do it (and there are very few high volume Tier 1s for any particular commodity, worldwide)... and those Tier 1s use their own standard modules wherever possible to cut down on D&D costs themselves... how many design generations will they need to go through in order to get a competitive product? Answer, likely one (3-5 years).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So who fancies a new T-Class?
This looks like a baby V class concept. It’s quite sensible, all things considered, it’s easier to make an MPV from a van platform than the other way around and the traditional hatchback/ saloon/ estate car split has long since been disrupted by SUV, MPV and crossover body styles.

Also (</cynical) it’s easier to make a van platform into an EV than an existing passenger car platform into an EV, due to the increased loading depth at the rear and the loading rate on suspension travel (//cynical//)

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
So who fancies a new T-Class?
"The T-Class is being developed in cooperation with the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance, so this model, like its commercial-based predecessor, will likely form the basis of both the next Renault Kangoo and the Nissan NV range, too. "

no thanks.....

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"The T-Class is being developed in cooperation with the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliance, so this model, like its commercial-based predecessor, will likely form the basis of both the next Renault Kangoo and the Nissan NV range, too. "

no thanks.....

Oh. It’ll be made in Spain then.

No thanks! I’ve seen that factory!

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

no thanks.....

I think Mitsubishi are in the financial poo aren't they, so I don't know what their input would be. They are currently in the process of withdrawing from Europe as I understand it :rolleyes:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think Mitsubishi are in the financial poo aren't they, so I don't know what their input would be. They are currently in the process of withdrawing from Europe as I understand it :rolleyes:
They screwed up so badly, Nissan bought them for a corncob. Or maybe a grain of rice.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep, I remember the internal reporting of it well.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom