My slk200 is .... dead?

rotty48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 K - R 171- 2004 - Engine 271944 -
Hi everyone. I have a "very big" problem with my slk 200 R171 from 2004 and nobody knows how to help me, it is not clear what happened, if not the destruction of all the control units (I don't believe it). I had bought the Car Style Roof Module, to be able to open the windows and the moving roof with the key, simply by pressing the key button. As you know, it is a simple passage between a terminal block located under the driver's side floor and this Module. The work is simple, except that unfortunately I tore one of the wires (very thin brown) from the terminal block by pulling out the pin, which, I suppose, touched something that it created. I think, a short circuit that practically bolooculated almost all the controls of the car. The only thing that works is the engine, the lights and the stops! "Everything else", central locking of doors, windows, roof, dashboard ... it doesn't work. I have been parking it for years in a private space and now I cover it with a sheet for the open windows, but when I use it, unfortunately I MUST use it, I leave it open ... They did the computer test but they did not understand anything. I hope to be luckier next week with an auto electrician that I will have to see. I don't think anyone in the Forum had this problem and I hope it will never happen to you!
If I don't solve the problem next week, I'll have to demolish it. 10 days ago I replaced "the fuel tank" because it was corroded and leaking (Mercedes price € 2,700 + VAT) ... Now I'm really tired! this car is unfortunate, as the old owner had pointed out to me ... after selling it to me !!
HELP !!!

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Take it that you've had a look at the fuses?

OP
rotty48

rotty48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes I checked all the fuses. Front engine compartment box, in the cabin and in the trunk: all ok ...
Maybe next Wednesday I take the car to an electrician who they say is very competent and we check the ECUs.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Shorting CANbus shouldn't cause huge issues though it has probably filled the ECUs with error codes.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
If it were me I would disconnect the batteries overnight, reconnect in the morning and clear all the error codes and see what the situation is then.

OP
rotty48

rotty48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Shorting CANbus shouldn't cause huge issues though it has probably filled the ECUs with error codes.

Yes I checked all the fuses. Front engine compartment box, in the cabin and in the trunk: all ok ...
Maybe next Wednesday I take the car to an electrician who they say is very competent and we check the ECUs.
how do I delete the wrong codes from the control units? Thank you all !

OP
rotty48

rotty48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you disconnect the battery, everything should come back ok? Do you need a computer to clear errors in the control units?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
as eluded too above.... if you have interrupted the can bus (a comms network modern cars have) until you restore to working condition nothing will operate correctly. Pardon me If you have confirmed you fixed the brown wire. But I didn't pick up that you have ?

once the car is back to normal, dealer spec diagnostic kit will be required to check / clear errors stored on the vehicle.... some stuff resets after three on off cycles of the key (when the fault is no longer seen) but bits of the fun you introduced could be upsetting stuff. So best to check, clear and confirm everything is communicating the way Mercedes designed it.

OP
rotty48

rotty48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The electrician connected the two brown wires in the Can terminal block to me but nothing has changed. The car is running, I'm using it, and only the Stop lights work (thank goodness) ... the rest is all dead. How can I check if the connection of the brown wires has restored everything to the original working conditions if nothing works? Tonight I will try to disconnect the battery all night, waiting to take it to the electrician on Tuesday. At Mercedes I don't take it for sure, the last time for a loose NUT, which caused a noise in the potholes in the rear deck of my E200, after an hour of checks they gave me an estimate of 2800 euros to dismantle the whole bridge and change all silentblocks! From a friend of mine, on the bridge, we identified the loose nut by replacing it with a self-locking one and the machine came back perfect for another 5 years ...! I will explain to the eletrauto what you wrote to me. For now, thank you, then I will tell you the latest news, thank you!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Clear all the fault codes with an MB specific code reader. A generic code reader won't help.
It has to be a code reader capable of interrogating all modules in the car.

OP
rotty48

rotty48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks, on Tuesday I ask the electrician, otherwise I will have to resort to Mercedes ... Thanks.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The electrician connected the two brown wires in the Can terminal block to me but nothing has changed. The car is running, I'm using it, and only the Stop lights work (thank goodness) ... the rest is all dead. How can I check if the connection of the brown wires has restored everything to the original working conditions if nothing works? Tonight I will try to disconnect the battery all night, waiting to take it to the electrician on Tuesday. At Mercedes I don't take it for sure, the last time for a loose NUT, which caused a noise in the potholes in the rear deck of my E200, after an hour of checks they gave me an estimate of 2800 euros to dismantle the whole bridge and change all silentblocks! From a friend of mine, on the bridge, we identified the loose nut by replacing it with a self-locking one and the machine came back perfect for another 5 years ...! I will explain to the eletrauto what you wrote to me. For now, thank you, then I will tell you the latest news, thank you!
I dont think an auto electrician will resolve this issue, you need an iCarsoft MBII to reset all the error codes after the batterries have been disconnected over night.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I dont think an auto electrician will resolve this issue, you need an iCarsoft MBII or equivalent to reset all the error codes after the batterries have been disconnected over night.
Corrected in bold.
Autel AP 200/MK808, iCarsoft i980/MB v2.0/CR Pro, Carsoft 7.4 or later or Star will all do the required.
There are others too.

OP
rotty48

rotty48

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK ! Thank.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom