208D (OM601.940) coolant sensor location

jospanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208D, 1991, OM601
Hi, I'm trying to find the coolant sensor on this engine. That might sound like a silly thing to have trouble with, but I can see two things that look like the candidate, and neither are it.

The actual problem I am having is that there is no heat and the temp gauge doesn't move. To me that says "thermostat", so of course I want to do that, but I also wanted to replace the sensor at the same time. That made sense until I tried to find it, and couldn't, and now I'm annoyed.

I have found one sensor mounted on the thermostat housing - the wire routing and colour suggests this one is to do with the glow plugs. It has no continuity to the sense wire on the temperature gauge. This sensor has a single connector on it (some of the ones that pop up online have multiple connectors).

The only other thing that looked like a sensor was towards the rear of the engine, which appears to be an oil pressure switch. No continuity.

According to my wiring diagram (and the gauge), I am looking for a blue/lilac wire. I really thought it was on the thermostat housing, but there is only one sensor there that I can see, and that doesn't seem to be it. Can anyone help?

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 208D T1 van 1989
Hello,

Just had a quick look on my van and internet parts look up and it would appear to be on the inlet manifold side on the cylinder head just behind the injection pump. I will have a look at my workshop manual tonight to confirm this and let you know tomorrow.
Adrian.

OP
J

jospanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208D, 1991, OM601
That's the job, I found it just fine!
A question though, where do you find diagrams like that, for these engines? It would be really useful to have later on.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom