Taking the plunge

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2003 R230, E400d 4MATIC Coupe 2021
Just thought I would give an update on the insurance situation...sorry cannot remember which other threads I have mentioned this in. :geek:
I pushed back on their evaluation and provided an advert for a similar car asking that they put me in that one as insurance should do... I have full FSH with the dealership as well as any work done has always been done by the dealership so quite a good history I think...well they have upped the anti but again not within reason again.... will be checking with my lawyer and the ombudsman... any advice?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Insurance will always reclaim the costs of courtesy car, havinf the car inspected, towed away etc and say that leads to the difference.

They are a business and by all means they will always make a profit.

Factor in now what you are paying a lawyer, but in essence, turn around to the insurance co and tell them to buy you the like for like car and you will settle.

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Insurance will always reclaim the costs of courtesy car, havinf the car inspected, towed away etc and say that leads to the difference.

They are a business and by all means they will always make a profit.

Factor in now what you are paying a lawyer, but in essence, turn around to the insurance co and tell them to buy you the like for like car and you will settle.
Thank you for your advice... I didn’t go for a courtesy vehicle and didn’t take one under my mobilo either... but the tow and inspection by first garage, as you rightly say, will need to come from somewhere. Due my vehicle having citizenship at Merc I had it towed there for an inspection and where it comfortably resides until whenever...
my counter to my ins included the similar car that I am prepared for them to put me in to settle but they only upped the offer and no mention getting that car. Other sharp practice was I had to decide on 7 days or they would pay me... never had so much insistence for someone to put money into my account :)
So I am thinking of mentioning the ombudsman to decide before the lawyer (friend) route...is this different to what you advised? I haven’t had to claim before so a bit of a rookie scrambling info and very kind advice from those more wise... thx again...

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Insurance cos are pushy. They say take the money or go to ombudsman. Personally I think it’s a dirty trick because most people just want an end having lost a car and the stress of getting A new car etc. So many don’t go ombudsman and just accept. Ultimately it depends your steely determination.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Insurance cos are pushy. They say take the money or go to ombudsman. Personally I think it’s a dirty trick because most people just want an end having lost a car and the stress of getting A new car etc. So many don’t go ombudsman and just accept. Ultimately it depends your steely determination.
I did and spent 10 months getting the fair settlement. The insurance company ended up paying me interest on the payout amount due to the delays.
My issue was the value they placed on my motorcycle didn’t reflect on anyway it’s condition. Eventually they agreed to match the similar bikes I’d found on autotrader but only after I’d contacted the ombudsmen. By recommendation from this forum :)

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To me upping their offer shows that they know they tried it on, so let’s find out how steely I am o_O

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
If you have a lawyer friend use him, they will immediately cough up the sum you are seeking after his first letter.

I used to be a Litigation Legal Executive in a City Firm and trust me 98% of the time they paid after I had written the first letter before action pointing out their contractual duty and the financial penalty for their breach by failure to pay in accordance with their contractual obligations.

The threat of High Court proceedings, legal costs and interest compared to the financial difference being argued always had a great way of concentrating their minds. Being a City firm charging £400 per hour (which they knew would end up their responsibility) also assisted!

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you have a lawyer friend use him, they will immediately cough up the sum you are seeking after his first letter.

I used to be a Litigation Legal Executive in a City Firm and trust me 98% of the time they paid after I had written the first letter before action pointing out their contractual duty and the financial penalty for their breach by failure to pay in accordance with their contractual obligations.

The threat of High Court proceedings, legal costs and interest compared to the financial difference being argued always had a great way of concentrating their minds. Being a City firm charging £400 per hour (which they knew would end up their responsibility) also assisted!

Mercedes SL500 R231
Thank you and the mention of a lawyer is certainly what drove their higher offer I think....

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Mercedes SL500 R231
Don’t suppose you have a copy of that letter handy? ;)
Been putting off my reply but perhaps I will just keep it simple! Thank you all for your advice and fingers crossed!

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Letter sent.. let’s see...

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok, so declined their increased offer and proposed a like for like replacement i.e. similar spec and condition where I have already sent a couple of ads from the internet to help concentrate their minds...There’s almost a brand new vehicle under its exterior :)

They have been in touch asking me to call them back...what do you suppose the next gambit from them might be?

negotiator

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e-class 220D
I would imagine they'll want a chat and depending on how you handle that, you'll either get what you want or a touch under it.

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I would imagine they'll want a chat and depending on how you handle that, you'll either get what you want or a touch under it.
That’s the tricky part... thank you!!!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
That’s the tricky part... thank you!!!
Be firm but not agressive, tell them you have done your research sent them like for like examples, all you are asking for is for them to meet their contractual obligations without further procrastination. Be clear as to what a proper outcome would be for you in your mind and let them respond.

Good luck.

Mercedes SL500 R231

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Be firm but not agressive, tell them you have done your research sent them like for like examples, all you are asking for is for them to meet their contractual obligations without further procrastination. Be clear as to what a proper outcome would be for you in your mind and let them respond.

Good luck.

Mercedes SL500 R231
Thank you :)..

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks!!!! Missing the 5 ;)
My life has been The Merc showroom for the last month and just missed out on one in the graphite grey... not many hanging about but will have to settle for black and more black inside...:rolleyes:
All fully loaded as well so the SL is going out with a bang it seems... grand has all the premium toys in there too...
Hence the question about what Merc Bolton was like... there is one in Colindale that I am after and just sorting out finance options.,, oh the life.
Thank you for keeping me in mind, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness :):):)

OP
Timeandleisure

Timeandleisure

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks!!!! Missing the 5 ;)
My life has been The Merc showroom for the last month and just missed out on one in the graphite grey... not many hanging about but will have to settle for black and more black inside...:rolleyes:
All fully loaded as well so the SL is going out with a bang it seems... grand has all the premium toys in there too...
Hence the question about what Merc Bolton was like... there is one in Colindale that I am after and just sorting out finance options.,, oh the life.
Thank you for keeping me in mind, I really appreciate your thoughtfulness :):):)
Doesn’t mean I’m not open to any more deals on a new SL 500 Grand Edition/premium... if you come across any... thx! :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom