E series estate 4Matic opinions?

Mooreyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Bluetec Hybrid 2015
I have owned E series estates for years. I am now thinking of buying the 4matic version. Does one have any thoughts on which is the best engine, any problems with the car etc etc.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Are you buying new or second hand? If new you only have the choice of the 400d or one of the petrol AMG versions.second hand, there are a few 220d cars around, but few and far between. I have the All Terrain ( not currently available in the facelift) with the 400d OM656 engine and it is very good. No problems so far in the first four months. Loads of torque and acceleration, and still managed over 50mpg on a long run. First 3,000 odd miles which has been a lot of urban due to covid and the overall average is 37.2 which is pretty much in line with MB's published WLTP figures. Had a 220d before, but rear wheel drive, but I suspect it would be perfectly capable with 4-matic too.

OP
M

Mooreyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Bluetec Hybrid 2015
Are you buying new or second hand? If new you only have the choice of the 400d or one of the petrol AMG versions.second hand, there are a few 220d cars around, but few and far between. I have the All Terrain ( not currently available in the facelift) with the 400d OM656 engine and it is very good. No problems so far in the first four months. Loads of torque and acceleration, and still managed over 50mpg on a long run. First 3,000 odd miles which has been a lot of urban due to covid and the overall average is 37.2 which is pretty much in line with MB's published WLTP figures. Had a 220d before, but rear wheel drive, but I suspect it would be perfectly capable with 4-matic too.
Thanks Billy Boy,
Looks like you have had as many cars as I have! I've had A6 Audi Quattros and Allroad (Manual and worst gearbox ever). Also had a Discovery but managed to sell it before it bankrupted me. But have had E series for about 10 years. What is the difference between an All Terrain and a 4matic? Please forgive my ignorance. I merely want a 4wd Merc Estate since I am not fond of the SUV bricks. I will buy S/H as I cannot afford new.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
All terrain are lifted up a bit with flared arches and often horrible plastic guards on them! As above the 400d if it's something newer and in budget for you would be an excellent choice....
I didn't want to spend so much so I opted for the BMW 530d X Drive tourer (late 2017) which is proving excellent so far (only had it a couple of weeks)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks Billy Boy,
Looks like you have had as many cars as I have! I've had A6 Audi Quattros and Allroad (Manual and worst gearbox ever). Also had a Discovery but managed to sell it before it bankrupted me. But have had E series for about 10 years. What is the difference between an All Terrain and a 4matic? Please forgive my ignorance. I merely want a 4wd Merc Estate since I am not fond of the SUV bricks. I will buy S/H as I cannot afford new.
It’s the equivalent of the Audi all road... slightly higher and black bits around the wheel arches. Same 4 wheel drive system as normal 4-matic though

OP
M

Mooreyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Bluetec Hybrid 2015
All terrain are lifted up a bit with flared arches and often horrible plastic guards on them! As above the 400d if it's something newer and in budget for you would be an excellent choice....
I didn't want to spend so much so I opted for the BMW 530d X Drive tourer (late 2017) which is proving excellent so far (only had it a couple of weeks)
Yes I am also tempted by the BMW. I briefly had a 635 which was brilliant, bought it at an auction as I needed a car quickly-had it nearly a year and sold it for the same money. Won't do that again. My only reason for the E class is the huge load capacity, I suppose I could always buy an old ford transit!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes I am also tempted by the BMW. I briefly had a 635 which was brilliant, bought it at an auction as I needed a car quickly-had it nearly a year and sold it for the same money. Won't do that again. My only reason for the E class is the huge load capacity, I suppose I could always buy an old ford transit!!
The 213 E is definitely way bigger and the 400d is super rapid (if you need that)- I wanted a 6cyl and 4wd but not pay over 35k so the 400 just wasn't available except with black, black and more black. Sadly MB's are few and far between with light leather and options which is a real shame.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
If you are going second hand, then the previous All terrain was the 350d (V6) engine which was also very good. Not sure if there are non-allterrain 4-matic 350d models. As above, the All terrain is just an E class Estate with slightly raised (airmatic) suspension and some extra plastic cladding to protect against scrapes and scratches. In dark colours, you don't really notice the plastic - on white cars, in my view it looks awful!!

OP
M

Mooreyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Bluetec Hybrid 2015
If you are going second hand, then the previous All terrain was the 350d (V6) engine which was also very good. Not sure if there are non-allterrain 4-matic 350d models. As above, the All terrain is just an E class Estate with slightly raised (airmatic) suspension and some extra plastic cladding to protect against scrapes and scratches. In dark colours, you don't really notice the plastic - on white cars, in my view it looks awful!!
Thanks. Had a look on Auto trader and yes, the black plastic looks grim on white cars. What really annoys me is that they put low profile tyres that get a puncture if you stare at them on an all terrain vehicle. It's like putting slicks on a tractor. Daft. I will look further! It is also v difficult to get cars with cream upholstery. I am afraid I find black claustrophobic.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
Thanks. Had a look on Auto trader and yes, the black plastic looks grim on white cars. What really annoys me is that they put low profile tyres that get a puncture if you stare at them on an all terrain vehicle. It's like putting slicks on a tractor. Daft. I will look further! It is also v difficult to get cars with cream upholstery. I am afraid I find black claustrophobic.
Whilst it is VERY difficult to find a car with light interior, look for something with premium plus and you get panoramic sunroof, and most have crystal gray roof liner so (especially with the size of the E class interior) not as claustrophobic as you may think.

BillyBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E400d All Terrain
now that is niiiiice!!
Yup - if only it had come up when looking at the All terrain. I did consider a second hand AMG, but they all had horrible red seatbelts (not my taste)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yup - if only it had come up when looking at the All terrain. I did consider a second hand AMG, but they all had horrible red seatbelts (not my taste)
indeed- timing is everything sadly... if that had been around and that lot were more generous than MB offered on the i8....it's all 'ifs' though ;)

OP
M

Mooreyboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E300 Bluetec Hybrid 2015
Just a tadlet over my budget which reminds me to do the lottery tomorrow. A beautiful car. As for being too young to be president of the US I modestly think I am not stupid enough either.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom