C250 CDI timing chain noise?

Paul297

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Coupe
Hello everyone,

I've noticed since I bought my C Class a few months ago, the engine makes a strange noise than can be heard in the cabin. On start up, it's louder for a few seconds and then quietens down. Sometimes it's also accompanied by a grinding noise that last a couple of seconds.

This is only on cold starts and it doesn't always make the grinding noise.

I suspected the timing chain. The car has done 66k and has a full Mercedes service history.

I managed to get a video toward the back of the engine. You can hear the chain, but I don't know if it is a normal noise or not... what do you think?

I've got a 2 year warranty on the car. But I've got a feeling if I went back and said I think the chain and tensioner are going, they'd try and get out of changing it and out it down to wear and tear. So I'm on an information gathering mission.

What do you think?

Thanks

Paul

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
U have the warranty get back to them see how that goes. Read all the small print.
Failing that.me, I would try changing the tensioner,oil and filter. Cut open the old filter take a look for tiny metal bits,unlikely but check anyway.if that shuts it up disable stop start and plod on ,if not make a plan to change chain as well ,with look at any sprockets u can see. If still making a row after tensioner,filter oil ,it WONT ge getting any better and maybe a LOT worse.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Hello everyone,

I've noticed since I bought my C Class a few months ago, the engine makes a strange noise than can be heard in the cabin. On start up, it's louder for a few seconds and then quietens down. Sometimes it's also accompanied by a grinding noise that last a couple of seconds.

This is only on cold starts and it doesn't always make the grinding noise.

I suspected the timing chain. The car has done 66k and has a full Mercedes service history.

I managed to get a video toward the back of the engine. You can hear the chain, but I don't know if it is a normal noise or not... what do you think?

I've got a 2 year warranty on the car. But I've got a feeling if I went back and said I think the chain and tensioner are going, they'd try and get out of changing it and out it down to wear and tear. So I'm on an information gathering mission.

What do you think?

Thanks

Paul
Sounds normal to me another noisy diesel

OP
P

Paul297

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 Coupe
To be fair, the video I posted wasn't the best. Seem to hear it more in the cabin.

Is it normal for the engine to sound louder/rough for a few seconds on a cold start?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Take it in to MB get their opinion, its under warranty. If they say its normal & you have a problem later, its good evidence for a claim. Plus it puts your mind at rest.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
When mine stood .I dont let it catch the first few times ,ensures oil getting around.one hopes ?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom