w124 estate leak

benster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 1996
hello everyone. I wonder if anyone can help, I got some useful info last time I posted about this.
The inside of the car mists up with condensation, been putting up with it a long time, I get water under the carpet by the accelerator pedal and under the carpet on the passenger side, there was a leak at the tailgate witch I found and sorted and hoped this would sort the condensation, but it has'nt, ive had a hose all over the front and back as I thought this was where the leak was, ive had the front carpets out the instrument cluster out the lower dash board on both sides, but nothing not a drop, the drains are clear and no sunroof, then yesterday water under the drivers side and passenger side, and for the first time the rear passenger carpet was wet to the touch, anyone had this before, any help greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
You need to cherck the dain holes in the engine compartment below the front screen . This manual -its free will show you all the drain holes on your car . Google this - Model 124 Maintenance Manual Index .

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
And check the filter usually located behind the glovebox. SEE YOUTUBE FOR HOW TO.

OP
B

benster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 1996
Thanks for that, I’ll check the manual, I’ve checked the drains below the windscreen they all seem to be clear, and I have an airbag no glove box, these leaks are driving me mad !

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Are you sure it's not coming in from the rear and leaking forward?

OP
B

benster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 1996
Are you sure it's not coming in from the rear and leaking forward?
Yeah I think it might be it’s in a garage at the minute, mentioned it to them so there gonna have a look

mb300d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300d
The most common point for these cars to leak is at the front lower corner of the rear side windows (the ones right at the rear by the luggage area. The water then makes its way down to the floorpan and along to the front. Once it gets bad then you will get heavy condensation in the car. The cause is that the metal behind the rubber seal gets rusty and then turns into a small hole.....which gets bigger and bigger. The only way to fix it is to remove the rear window and weld up the rusty metal plus replace.
Take a look behind the side covers in the luggage compartment and shine a torch up to look at where the rear window sits - if it is rusty then it is almost certain that the corner will have a hole in it.

OP
B

benster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 1996
Thanks for the reply, I’ve had the passenger back window seal replaced and a bit of welding done, as far as I can tell the drivers side is ok, it’s getting in somewhere else, any ideas?

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I feel your pain, have same issue in my W163.
I note you say no sunroof, same as my vehicle, however, i wonder if the grommets put in under the front wings to replace where the sunroof drains are letting in water, do not know if yours is the same. I am about to remove front wheels and arch liners to investigate, again !!!!.
might be worth a look, as same as you, checked everything else.
The scuttle drain holes are right above where these grommets may well be.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Ben check you sill kick plates ,,,if they are like mine they jusr pull upwards to remove them .Then use silicone sealant to seal the location where the step plate fits too ,make sure that the step plate is sealed all around its edge .I was finding water on the top of the kick plates after i opened the rear door,, it then finds it way under the plates and down on to the floor well ,, going through the carpet on the sides ,down on to the floor pan .Most of the problem was the membrain inside the door.This was not fitted over the holes to channel water out through the drain hole in the base of the door .Just an idea and worth looking in to .

OP
B

benster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 1996
Thanks for that, the doors were the next things I was gonna check, in my never ending quest

OP
B

benster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 estate 1996
I will check that next time it rains, and report back

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
well, i sealed the grommets under the wheel arch liners on my W163 and...….. its still leaks !!!!!
so next job is scuttle and wipers out to look under there.

Top Bottom