Stereo upgrade

Peter Harvey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 AMG Line Convertible
Hi im new to the forum
Recently purchased a new c,class coupe. I love the car but the stereo isent that great. Am i able to upgrade this some how

mercman111

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 clk 350 petrol
hello and welcome,someone will be along later to help with your problem

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Hi im new to the forum
Recently purchased a new c,class coupe. I love the car but the stereo isent that great. Am i able to upgrade this some how
What stereo system do you have?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
What age is the car?
Do you want to keep the Merc appearance or happy to go forlarger screen options?

OP
P

Peter Harvey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 AMG Line Convertible
What age is the car?
Do you want to keep the Merc appearance or happy to go forlarger screen options?
Hi thanks for your reply. Its a 2017 with a black wood finish. I would like to keep it looking factory if possible

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Welcome, sadly the music system are not that good. I just live with mine.

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Is it the audio system or the speakers that could be better?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I have a Bose system in my 55, superb and will hurt my ears if I crank the volume too far.
The SLK has the Harmon one, haven't tried hers for the volume test :oops:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Hi thanks for your reply. Its a 2017 with a black wood finish. I would like to keep it looking factory if possible

I fit the Chinese 9" screens to mine, so not the factory look.
Dynavin produced systems that had the factory look a few years back, I don't know if they have kept up with newer cars. The cost was higher than Erisin type units and still Chinese.

Dynavin

Dan G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2006/5L
I put in a 10.1" Chinese model and went with a low cost ($112 CDN) model because I didn't know if it would work. My 2006 CLK-500 has a Harmon-Kardon sound system, so I wanted to simplify wiring and bought the MOST interface ($180 CDN). I also purchased a wiring harness and double DIN face plate. Side-to-side it is a perfect match, but a bit larger on top and bottom, but not enough to block any switches. It all worked, except for the steering wheel control which I don't know if I simply connect the CANBUS low/high to the Key 1 or Key 2 wire coming out of the radio (I don't want to blow the radio). The radio gives me GPS (Google or Waze), BT, Android apps (Android 9.1), etc. It came with a back-up camera but I didn't bother as I usually drive it with the top down. Radio turns on immediately on ignition. Overall I'm very happy with it.

Up date: I figured out that I need the PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface ($45 CDN) and wire that up to Key 1/2 so that the resistance can be measured by the radio where it can program any steering wheel control. Hopefully this works.

Last edited:

Dan G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2006/5L
Update: I cancelled the PAC SWI-RC based on correspondence with the manufacturer who said I needed a different model (their website was out of date). I skipped that and installed the AXXESS ASWC-1 which appeared to work but does not (I think it converts digital CANBUS to digital radio control - Chinese Android units need an analogue voltage change). I have now bought another CANBUS device from China (digital to analogue) that another installer said worked (it is $35 USD). Apart from that I bought a wireless Carplay dongle and it works very well. Carplay has a great interface, albeit the apps (Music, maps, messages, audiobooks, phone) are limited. I set my Android to boot Carplay at start. But I can still go back to using Android Auto (e.g. to use the Radio) anytime.

Dan G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500/2006/5L
Update: I cancelled the PAC SWI-RC based on correspondence with the manufacturer who said I needed a different model (their website was out of date). I skipped that and installed the AXXESS ASWC-1 which appeared to work but does not (I think it converts digital CANBUS to digital radio control - Chinese Android units need an analogue voltage change). I have now bought another CANBUS device from China (digital to analogue) that another installer said worked (it is $35 USD). Apart from that I bought a wireless Carplay dongle and it works very well. Carplay has a great interface, albeit the apps (Music, maps, messages, audiobooks, phone) are limited. I set my Android to boot Carplay at start. But I can still go back to using Android Auto (e.g. to use the Radio) anytime.

Final Update: I got the ASWC-1 to work! I read somewhere that I had to change the radio type to "Metra OE" and use only the Key1 wire from my Android Head Unit. Once that combination of things happened, I was able to map the steering wheel controls to whatever I wanted. In addition to Volume Up/Down, mapped the phone controls to Track Forward/Back.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom