Sagging tailgate

Aggrieved

Reaction score
The tailgate on my 2006 E class Estate is losing the will to stay open and slowly sagging. Can anyone advise whether this is a simple fix or something more serious please.

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
new gas struts required ;) assuming it doesn't have the option of powering closed

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
The gas struts are likely past their best these days, you can replace them but not exactly and easy job, not impossible mind just a real PITA

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
.... but not exactly and easy job, not impossible mind just a real PITA

I've found that replacing gas struts to be a fairly straight forward task. Undo one end of one of the struts, lower it down while holding the tailgate by hand or brush handle. Undo the other strut. Fit the lower end of both new struts and fit the top end in turn lifting the tailgate by hand to line up the ball & socket ..... job jobbed! ;)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I've found that replacing gas struts to be a fairly straight forward task. Undo one end of one of the struts, lower it down while holding the tailgate by hand or brush handle. Undo the other strut. Fit the lower end of both new struts and fit the top end in turn lifting the tailgate by hand to line up the ball & socket ..... job jobbed! ;)
You made that sound so easy, I know what you mean and it really should be but I remember taking 3 hours to do mine on the S211 years ago.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
You made that sound so easy, I know what you mean and it really should be but I remember taking 3 hours to do mine on the S211 years ago.

I used struts from SGS on the tail gate of my Dad's MKII Granada. The struts were not quite the same, & SGS knew that but would modify the new strut using bits from the old ... but I made something up at work. New struts fitted in pretty much the way I described. :) Pretty straight forward.
I suppose it depends what you're comfortable with ..... everything is easy if you know what you're doing .. even brain surgery :D:D

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I would recommend staying well away from SGS. Having bought a trolley jack from them that was faulty they did all they could to give me the run around rather than attempt to resolve the issue, utter shysters.
It is rare I will bad mouth such suppliers but never again for me.

As for the struts, I've changed them on several motors and found the job easy enough. The spring wrap keeps the knuckle on the ball at each end, from memory.

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes
Looks quite fiddly but doable. Alternatively put up your location and someone may be able to suggest a decent indy local to you.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I would recommend staying well away from SGS. Having bought a trolley jack from them that was faulty they did all they could to give me the run around rather than attempt to resolve the issue, utter shysters.
It is rare I will bad mouth such suppliers but never again for me.

whereas I had no problem at all dealing with them. :confused:

OP
A

Aggrieved

Reaction score
Some form of hydraulic?? Mechanism in the roof structure, no doubt that was why gas struts came in. I can’t be the first to suffer from a “tired” tailgate mechanism.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Some form of hydraulic?? Mechanism in the roof structure, no doubt that was why gas struts came in. I can’t be the first to suffer from a “tired” tailgate mechanism.

perhaps still gas struts, but fitted horizontally in the roof space ???

Abb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes

See post 9 ;)

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
See post 9 ;)

I thought it must be ;) ... though an automated tailgate on my R Class, the lifting mechanism was similar ie horizontal, you could just see the ball joints at the top.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 does have gas struts and as Abb says they are just hidden up in the roof lining.
As I say PITA of a job to do but fully doable at home

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Here in France I have bought gas struts from the local agri places they keep God selections at half Benz cost did a class rear tailgate this way.

OP
A

Aggrieved

Reaction score
Looks quite fiddly but doable. Alternatively put up your location and someone may be able to suggest a decent indy local to you.

Many thanks for your comment and likewise fellow members. My location is Caterham Surrey re a decent local indy.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom