water ingress.

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I think i posted this last year and got no luck.
last year i had a water leak in the ML270, passenger side, runs down from behind dash and exits by little light under dash. I sealed everything i could find, and the leak stopped.
Its happened again this year, i wonder if something contracts in the cold opening up a leak.
This time i am sealing bits one at a time to see which one stops the leak. I have slightly extended a drain channel under the bonnet, so water does not run down where the electrics enter the car, also put some seal round the grommet there, but still have a leak.
Next is wheel off and arch liner out to seal where drain hole runs out, there is a grommet there that seals up where the sunroof drains would be if vehicle had a sunroof, which it does not.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

loz_dormer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270
Have you got a sun roof? When it rains heavily my passenger front footwell gets wet and I’m sure the sun roof drain tubes are blocked. It’s on my to do list this weekend to unblock them.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
erm, no. that's the issue.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
ok.
I have checked the drains in the scuttle and both are free of any crap. I have also had a good look at windscreen seal, and it appears ok, headlining not getting damp, or anything else above dash level.
I am going to remove wheels and arch liners (again) as there are rubber bungs in the place where the sunroof drains would be if i had a sunroof, These drains do sort of line up with where the water starts to leak. Its now both sides !!!!!
The drains from the scuttle empty right into the area where these bungs will be.
Wish me luck.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
well, thought i would give an update, yes so far failed !!!!!
I have checked the drains in the scuttle, as far as i can see they are clear.
I have removed front wheels and wheel arch liners and sealed the bungs in the inner wing (where the sunroof would drain if i had one)
I have re sealed the bungs in the door frame (which you remove to take dash out)

Its still leaking water, i then removed the passenger side lower dash, the foam attached to it was very wet, so checked the air con drain, it was clear, the pollen filter is bone dry.

Getting a bit disheartened now.
Today i inspected the top screen seal, it looks fine, but knowing that water only has to have a small gap to get through, decided to prove if it is the seal. I have run some black "the force" ( its dark on one side, light on the other and holds the universe together ……. Gaffer tape) along the top.
Will now have to wait until more rainfall to see if still leaks.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
well, thought i would give an update, yes so far failed !!!!!
I have checked the drains in the scuttle, as far as i can see they are clear.
I have removed front wheels and wheel arch liners and sealed the bungs in the inner wing (where the sunroof would drain if i had one)
I have re sealed the bungs in the door frame (which you remove to take dash out)

Its still leaking water, i then removed the passenger side lower dash, the foam attached to it was very wet, so checked the air con drain, it was clear, the pollen filter is bone dry.

Getting a bit disheartened now.
Today i inspected the top screen seal, it looks fine, but knowing that water only has to have a small gap to get through, decided to prove if it is the seal. I have run some black "the force" ( its dark on one side, light on the other and holds the universe together ……. Gaffer tape) along the top.
Will now have to wait until more rainfall to see if still leaks.
Are there only 2 drains in the bulkhead area? The CL has 7 which can easily get blocked and overflow.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
just an update.
Left it with tape over top of windscreen seal, was going to check it this morning after heavy rain, unfortunately, other half had to use it last night to rescue daughter, who had a blow out on A27, and her Mini has no spare. (sorted that today), however, i did not know if the water on the mats was from wet feet or a leak. So have started the exercise again.
I have hope, as i think it stopped leaking but cannot be sure.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I know this is boring ...but.....
It seems taping the screen has cured the leak on the passenger side, but may be not on drivers side, so could be two leaks.
So, yesterday i removed the sill plate, and accessed under the carpet and stuffed some towels in there to soak up the water, got it as dry as i could, so time will tell now if still leaking, however, this may have revealed another possible culprit.
The feed to the rear washer goes under the sill plate (bit with Mercedes on it in door jam), confirmed this by washing rear screen and pipe moves slightly as water goes along it. It disappears up behind the dash somewhere, and looking under the bonnet gives no clue as to where it enters the vehicle, looks like it goes in along with the wiring from the electronic gadget box !!!!!.
I wonder if this is cracked, punctured somewhere up behind the dash, hence every time the rear wash wipe is used, water enters the car and runs down into the drivers footwell.
My only doubt is that it did not get wet during the summer, and i would have used the wash /wipe, so may be a red herring.
I will update when i find this leak, one day, may be in the summer, or i may never find it, got to take my meds now as driving me mad !!!!!!!

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
another boring update (got nothing else to do at this time)
So, its not the pipe that feeds rear washer, stood for two days and was like a swimming pool under carpet on drivers side, and no loss from washer tank, so that's another culprit out of the way.
Yesterday, i bit the bullet and did what i did not want to do, wipers off, and removed all the scuttle plastics, then took wiper mechanism out. could not see any problem, but re sealed the plate under the wiper motor (god knows what the plate is for) the rubber grommet where wiper motor wiring goes through to the inside, and two other rubber grommets that serve no purpose. Cleaned out the few leaves and bit of muck, checked the drains. Put it all back. The plastic scuttle trims are now getting damaged, as some of the plastic clips are now snapped (suppose to be expected as third time i have removed them, twice for a water leak, once to access alarm unit)
Its been so wet i do not know if its made any difference, will have to wait a few days.
Oh the joys or ownership of older vehicles !!!!
( come back old TD5)

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
well, that was not the answer, in yesterdays monsoon, it filled with water again (oh joy)
So, have now started to move to pastures new and trying things not tried in the past. Looking at edge of windscreen on drivers side, have removed the rubber trim, cleaned all the muck out and run some sealant from top to bottom where glass curves round, i cannot see how water would run up hill, but grasping at straws now.
From all the replies !!!!, looks like i have bored every one on this.
dried out under carpet as best i can and will put all back together and wait for next down pour.
(getting a tad defeated now)

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
well, that was not the answer, in yesterdays monsoon, it filled with water again (oh joy)
So, have now started to move to pastures new and trying things not tried in the past. Looking at edge of windscreen on drivers side, have removed the rubber trim, cleaned all the muck out and run some sealant from top to bottom where glass curves round, i cannot see how water would run up hill, but grasping at straws now.
From all the replies !!!!, looks like i have bored every one on this.
dried out under carpet as best i can and will put all back together and wait for next down pour.
(getting a tad defeated now)

People will be interested but difficult to come up with suggestions! These water leaks are a beggar to sort.

I know it's a pain but I'd be tempted to remove the drivers side carpet completely together with sound deadening material and also the drivers seat. On a dry day get a helper to play a hosepipe or watering can on parts of the screen and door one area at a time and watch the bulkhead area inside to see any tracking of water ingress.

I asked above - are you sure there are only two drains in the bulkhead area? Is there not at least another one for the battery tray to check? Blocked or leaking drains seem a favourite for water ingress in the front footwells.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
There are only two drains in the scuttle, one either end, they drain to a plate underneath, then through a large hole into under the wing area. I took it all out again Xmas eve just to check I had not missed something.
Battery trays a thought, but I did fit a new battery couple of years ago and cleaned and painted the tray, don't remember seeing a drain there.
Waiting for rain to start again as adopted the attitude Xmas eve that if it did not move, it got sealed.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Just s thought, does anyone know if the roof bars on a w163 are bolted into a closed box section ?, Really grasping at straws now.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
I asked the above because wondering if water getting in at seal to roof bar, running down a box section to floor, or would I have a wet headlining if that was the culprit

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
well, update time. I spent the dry days getting as much damp out of the car as i could, as i could not really tell if i have resolved the leak or not (its that wet !!!) the sound proofing has soaked up a lot of water. Nearly got it there, then rain started again.
I have also just discovered that the carpet behind drivers seat is also wet !!!!!. I think the car has been leaking for some time, and as it runs under the carpet, i only find out when it is soaked enough to come out the top .
I still cannot isolate the leak, had a garage do a smoke test, which was not conclusive.
Looks like in the spring i will have to strip all the drivers side interior out and have a look.
I still suspect the roof bar mountings, but as i do not know the structure of the car there, do not know if they are bolted into a closed section, or a leak there would make headlining wet, which it is not.

Ho Hum

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Don't hold your breath, but may have located a new suspect in this case !!!.
By shear chance noted a wet patch just in front of driver's seat on the edge, this water runs under seat to the back foot well, which is wet. The water starts just where the door puddle light would be sitting with door closed.
The area around the light was wet.
Door card will have to come off to see if the membrain seal is damaged.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Well, this morning was raining, so put up a garden parasols over driver's door to keep me and it dry, that worked, sun came out !!!!!!.
Removed door card, which was very easy, inspected and run a bit of sealant all round the the interior seal, which did look fine and ok, there was a bit of water dripping out from behind speaker, so sealed that up as well. Cleaned all the door seals and rubbed silicon spray into them to make sure all supple, adjusted door so level with rear door, about 2mm.
Then used our old hoover to suck out as much water as possible, then stuffed towels under carpet to soak some more away.
Will now have to wait for more rain, should not be too long.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
And the next thrilling instalment is...…………………..
Well, it appears the car has three water leaks.
Leak 1) passenger side front footwell, IS caused by windscreen top seal, temp fix of gaffer tape until spring (resolved)
Leak 2) Drivers side footwell, was the grommet that is fitted in place of the sunroof drains (no sunroof) sealed and resolved.
Leak 3) drivers side rear footwell, leak is from the door sill on front door, runs in at the front, goes under drivers seat and soaks rear footwell, bugger to track down, hope i am correct. Not resolved this yet but …. the seal at the bottom of the front door is "flat", hence i am going to try feeding some 6mm plastic tube (sort used for washers) down the seal to "pump " it out a bit and see if that does the trick.
Another boring update will follow once i have done that and waited for a rain strom.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And the next thrilling instalment is...…………………..
Well, it appears the car has three water leaks.
Leak 1) passenger side front footwell, IS caused by windscreen top seal, temp fix of gaffer tape until spring (resolved)
Leak 2) Drivers side footwell, was the grommet that is fitted in place of the sunroof drains (no sunroof) sealed and resolved.
Leak 3) drivers side rear footwell, leak is from the door sill on front door, runs in at the front, goes under drivers seat and soaks rear footwell, bugger to track down, hope i am correct. Not resolved this yet but …. the seal at the bottom of the front door is "flat", hence i am going to try feeding some 6mm plastic tube (sort used for washers) down the seal to "pump " it out a bit and see if that does the trick.
Another boring update will follow once i have done that and waited for a rain strom.

What a performance! Glad you have sussed most of it out. MB's seem to be the worst for water leaks of all manufacturers. The only car I have ever had which leaked was a 79 Trans Am with T tops and this was easily fixed with new seals. Wish it was that easy with modern stuff.

OP
J

joderest

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270 2003
Well..........
Spent a day drying car out. Took door seal off and made sure all nice and soft. Re fitted with silicon sealant all round. It rained last night.......
AND ..........
Like a swimming pool again !!!!!!!!!!.
Today, dried it out as best I could ( really getting boring).
Took corner of door seal off, pushed a bit of washer tube down and round the bend bit, re fitted with sealant again ( lots of it) as sure this is where water getting in as carpets are not wet further up, seems to start in the corner at the front.
I have also adjusted door catch so door is in as far as it goes. Guess what, heavy rain again tonight.
This is really starting to defeat me, I really do not want to pay a garage to stop it leaking as no leak in any car has defeated me in the past, but running out of ideas now.
As a footnote, the water does not seem to be running down where the fuses and relays are located by driver's door, it's below that. Hence why I think it's somehow getting past the door seal.
Update again soon !!!!!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom