Cold weather & effect on cars

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
Hi, I was in two minds whether to post this, as it exposes my OCD side. But b0ll0cks I’ll post it anyway.

I wish in some ways I could go back to the mindset where I used to get in a car and drive, but previous bad experiences (non merc related) coupled with learning more and more (on an amateur level) about the workings of Diesel engines (for instance the vulnerabilities of emissions control devices and turbos when the oil hasn’t fully warmed up) have got me to the point where I listen ‘acutely’ to my car and can pick up even the most slight change of sound characteristic.

Reading about how the majority of engine wear is caused during the first 10-15 minutes when the engine is below operating temp, I’ve now become so bad that last week, when I had to drive a mile to the supermarket and back and it was bitterly cold, I decided (rather than punish the car) to drive to a different supermarket, a few miles away, just to give it chance to fully warm up, rather than get it 10% up to temp, the engine off, then the same for the return journey).

I realise this is ridiculous but it’s where I’m at. I’m constantly thinking, before a short journey, that the oil has sat at the bottom of the sump, cold and thick, and I know that starting the engine up, to drive 5 minutes down the road and back is going to cause wear.

I’m convinced that the cold winters here have a huge detrimental effect on our cars. Over in the Canaries, every other car is a 20 year old merc (not just the taxis) and some of them have done ridiculous mileage. I know they have smoother roads, less rain etc but I’m convinced that they benefit from the lack of sub zero winter temperatures.

Im quite normal aside from car anxiety! You name it, it has happened (mostly in my previous Peugeot 3008)...I even had diesel turning to gelatine due to cold temp, which clogged my fuel filter and caused a breakdown (I believe hindered by sub standard fuel filters which were later ‘updated’).

does anybody else worry about their car in cold weather? Are my concerns justified?

As I say, I wish I could just get in the car, enjoy it, and drive away without a thought, like other people seem to do, but alas, that isn’t me at present.

Also, (partly to settle a debate with my Son) once fully warmed up, is it generally better (for the engine) to drive “like a granny”, taking it easy and letting the gears change quite early on, or is it good to occasionally increase the revs and put your foot down? Is it perhaps better for the engine but worse for the gearbox to drive like a granny?

any views greatfully appreciated. :)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Generally, in the UK, we don't kind the kind of cold weather likely to cause any engine issues.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Well the weather has been sub zero this week and it has affected my car in a few ways...
The flip up Mercedes badge which covers my reversing camera froze. The first time it happened my first thought was I hope it doesnt do any damage, but these things are tested to destruction for all climates so it will be fine.
My multibeam intelligent light system stopped working...which I assumed was due to the sensor being obscured with ice or something, but I thought the sensor was located on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror and I have made sure this area is completely clear.
The glass on my panoramic roof was iced up, and as a result a continual creaking noise can be heard inside the cabin while driving.
I am dreading the the time when/if my drivers door is frozen shut. On the rare occassions this happened with previous cars I was able to grab the door frame at the roof line and carefully lever it open, but the doors on this car are frameless so I would not be able to do that.
I do not like cold weather. Brrrrrrrr.......! :(

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Put some Gummi Pflege or similar on the door seals.
Well funny you should say that because I bought this in preparation before taking delivery of my car, but haven't used it yet.
20210109_174328.jpg

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
My multibeam intelligent light system stopped working...which I assumed was due to the sensor being obscured with ice or something, but I thought the sensor was located on the windscreen behind the rear view mirror and I have made sure this area is completely clear. ....

I find that when the interior of my car is cold ie first thing, the auto wipers tend to wipe almost continually, as the journey goes on, the wipers get better. I've put it down to a little condensation on the inside of the screen under the sensor :confused: Maybe your lights suffer from the same ...

OP
Manc Rick

Manc Rick

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213 E220 Premium +, 2017 with OM654.
Ok so it looks like I’m worrying myself over nothing. I’m going to try and put it to the back of my mind and stop telling myself I must use the Mrs’ car for menial journeys like dropping my daughter home which is 8 mins each way (Mrs has a 1L petrol and I use the argument that diesels don’t like short journeys when it’s cold).

+1 for Gummi Pfledge. I did all my deals but forgot to do the other half’s car. My doors open and her doors have frozen shut twice this week. Actually, that’s a job for tomorrow.

thanks

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I find that when the interior of my car is cold ie first thing, the auto wipers tend to wipe almost continually, as the journey goes on, the wipers get better. I've put it down to a little condensation on the inside of the screen under the sensor :confused: Maybe your lights suffer from the same ...
Never have auto wipers turned on in the winter months.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
You could get a block heater, my brother lives in Canada, it used to be the norm over there. You could see a plug on the grille. Once home plug it in, circuit on a timer, and the engine was warm when you went down to it in the morning.

if you use a garage, you could maybe use a greenhouse type tube heater under the engine.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
For short trips, like a Supermarket 0.5 miles away (but we do 1 big weekly shop), I just take the long route meaning I go for a drive first, usually heading towards dual carriageways or just doing a junction on the motorway.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I was in the army in Germany for 12 years 60's & 70's. I was amongst other things a ski instructor, so i spent 10 of those winters in Bavaria for up to 4 months each year. Yes I know it was hard.
Most daytime temps were around -5C & -10 to -15C night time was pretty normal. This was the days we all used 20W50 oil, but I used to change mine to 10W30 before going down. Cars had to be left in 1st gear facing out hand break off overnight. If you didn't leave it in gear the gearbox oil would be so thick in the morning, it would be almost impossible to select a gear. Locals used to change their gearbox oil to a thinner version. But most thought it was too thin for a 8 hour journey from north Germany to Bavaria & back.
Mechanically I cant remember anyone having problems, I cant even remember anyone charging up any batteries.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Reading about how the majority of engine wear is caused during the first 10-15 minutes when the engine is below operating temp, I’ve now become so bad that last week, when I had to drive a mile to the supermarket and back and it was bitterly cold, I decided (rather than punish the car) to drive to a different supermarket, a few miles away, just to give it chance to fully warm up, rather than get it 10% up to temp, the engine off, then the same for the return journey).

I realise this is ridiculous but it’s where I’m at. I’m constantly thinking, before a short journey, that the oil has sat at the bottom of the sump, cold and thick, and I know that starting the engine up, to drive 5 minutes down the road and back is going to cause wear.

I’m convinced that the cold winters here have a huge detrimental effect on our cars. Over in the Canaries, every other car is a 20 year old merc (not just the taxis) and some of them have done ridiculous mileage. I know they have smoother roads, less rain etc but I’m convinced that they benefit from the lack of sub zero winter temperatures.

Im quite normal aside from car anxiety! You name it, it has happened (mostly in my previous Peugeot 3008)...I even had diesel turning to gelatine due to cold temp, which clogged my fuel filter and caused a breakdown (I believe hindered by sub standard fuel filters which were later ‘updated’).

does anybody else worry about their car in cold weather? Are my concerns justified?

As I say, I wish I could just get in the car, enjoy it, and drive away without a thought, like other people seem to do, but alas, that isn’t me at present.

Also, (partly to settle a debate with my Son) once fully warmed up, is it generally better (for the engine) to drive “like a granny”, taking it easy and letting the gears change quite early on, or is it good to occasionally increase the revs and put your foot down? Is it perhaps better for the engine but worse for the gearbox to drive like a granny?

any views greatfully appreciated. :)

In reality, the damage occurs in the first minute so you driving the extra distance did not help one bit. The benefit with the longer trip is if the car is properly warm, little or no.wear occurs on the restart after the shopping trip to drive home.

Where driving further helps is with dpf clog up if you have a diesel - so the car needs to get hot, properly hot, for the dpf to regenerate, and if you don’t do it often it clogs. So at least twice a month you do need to drive hard.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
On the subject of short distance driving and journeys , I’m really finding the sense of the Leaf- no strain , no drama, little cost....

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
On the subject of short distance driving and journeys , I’m really finding the sense of the Leaf- no strain , no drama, little cost....
Is that a mantra you say to yourself...:D
I suppose it trips off the tongue easier than “thank (deity of your choice) it’s only a short journey as my will to live will have gone if I have to be in this thing any longer”...

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Doesn't the Leaf only have a 20 mile range anyway so short journey's only. ;)

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
We have the option of engine warmers here in Sweden (not sure if you also get them in the UK) so you can actually start them (via the Mercedes ME app) to warm up the engine (and car interior) prior to setting off, that way the engine is already warm and therefore less potential damage would occur, I have one of these in my C238 and I had one in my previous car, very nice indeed on a cold morning, but you must have more than 15% fuel in the tank otherwise they won't start

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
We have the option of engine warmers here in Sweden (not sure if you also get them in the UK) so you can actually start them (via the Mercedes ME app) to warm up the engine (and car interior) prior to setting off, that way the engine is already warm and therefore less potential damage would occur, I have one of these in my C238 and I had one in my previous car, very nice indeed on a cold morning, but you must have more than 15% fuel in the tank otherwise they won't start
In the UK is against the law to have a car engine running unattended :(

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom