Number Plate Spacing

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
All my vehicles have Euro style GB plates.
My choices are therefore fit a nasty GB sticker to each car we use (and take it off on return so it doesn't mark paintwork) or replace number plates with GB ones with a UK flag.
Either way it's another cost to me.
That's on top of the pet passport scheme where we now need to get an Animal Health Certificate for each dog (@93.50 per dog and we have three) before we take them to France. That's each and every time.
We may have found a way round that one after the first £280.50 though....but at a one time cost of £60 per dog on top of the £280.50.

Magnetic ones are the answer there :) But still extra cost :rolleyes:

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Ahh....I see.
I remember when the GB sticker was a common thing.

Rob76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E280 CDI Sport
That's on top of the pet passport scheme where we now need to get an Animal Health Certificate for each dog (@93.50 per dog and we have three) before we take them to France. That's each and every time.
We may have found a way round that one after the first £280.50 though....but at a one time cost of £60 per dog on top of the £280.50.
:(:mad:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Magnetic ones are the answer there :) But still extra cost :rolleyes:
Could be.
Can't even put them on the glass as there are two drop tops we take.
Is a 230 boot lid steel?

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I had my private plate slightly mis- spaced..... it never caused any issues apart from one mot where it failed and I had to put another one on to get it through.

However, all I had done is add an additional space between the numbers and letters, so far from obvious, it just looked better.

Go too extreme and you might in theory be pulled, but if you are and are massively apologetic and contrite i’d be amazed if you got more than a “get it fixed” - obviously if it’s ridiculous spacing the risk rises.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had my private plate slightly mis- spaced..... it never caused any issues apart from one mot where it failed and I had to put another one on to get it through.

However, all I had done is add an additional space between the numbers and letters, so far from obvious, it just looked better.

Go too extreme and you might in theory be pulled, but if you are and are massively apologetic and contrite i’d be amazed if you got more than a “get it fixed” - obviously if it’s ridiculous spacing the risk rises.
ask @SmartAmg ...;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Probably cheapest option.
Just found another little Brexit gift.
We can no longer take good from the UK with us which makes life a bit more awkward as we are in the habit of taking our first two days food with us due to arriving late at the house. Now we'll have to get off the ferry/train and go straight to a supermarket in order to have milk/bread/cheese/cereal/evening meal for when we get there and next morning.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Yep, I got done, £100, correct font, spacing etc, but the plates where slightly tinted, drove around for about 6 months, inc coppers, behind me at the lights a few times, no problems,
BUT one day a copper past me, and through my rear view mirror, I saw him do a quick
U-turn, I knew straight away, he was gonna pull me, now probably 9 out of 10 would have warned me, and that would have done the trick, for me, but no I must have got the Tenth, and the book was out, as I said at the time, ya takes ya chance. :rolleyes::)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Yep, I got done, £100, correct font, spacing etc, but the plates where slightly tinted, drove around for about 6 months, inc coppers, behind me at the lights a few times, no problems,
BUT one day a copper past me, and through my rear view mirror, I saw him do a quick
U-turn, I knew straight away, he was gonna pull me, now probably 9 out of 10 would have warned me, and that would have done the trick, for me, but no I must have got the Tenth, and the book was out, as I said at the time, ya takes ya chance. :rolleyes::)
Yes, but your baseball cap was on backwards ;):D:p

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Ah what ever happened to hanging a cd from the rear view mirror to divert the flash of the camera. :rolleyes::rolleyes::D Whoever thought that would work must have been deluded. I don’t know about the tinted ones if it’s for style or camera evasion but when people put those anti camera plates on years ago all the authorities did was turn the photo into a negative and the plate was readable

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
All my vehicles have Euro style GB plates.
My choices are therefore fit a nasty GB sticker to each car we use (and take it off on return so it doesn't mark paintwork) or replace number plates with GB ones with a UK flag.
Either way it's another cost to me.
I've never had the EU or any flag permanently on my numberplates, if I drive outside of the UK I buy a sticker that fits on the number plate where the EU flag would be.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The correct spacing will be designated by an "abiding" place that makes the plates.
Driving with incorrectly spaced plates, means your just waiting to be pulled, is it worth the hassle.

We all see these number plates on the road and be honest what do we all think, errr thats illegal

I think "how desperate".

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom