Garage Rebuild

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet X 2
I do know an engine balancer that I'd call a tradesman but short of that - any hints on how to tame them...?

Get drunk together...??

Just get rid of them and do it yourself, tomorrow I'm going to be a roofer. Wish me luck!!

Last edited:
OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I'd be checking contracts and agreements signed at inception, to see who is legally liable for the mess. Why should you be financially liable for somebody else's incompetence

Unfortunately there weren't any contracts Alex, started through a good mate of mine who couldn't see where the huge cost was, he has been great and done all the ground work and not charged for a lot of it. It kind of started going wrong when the first Bricklayer got locked down in March last year and could not get back, so the contractor found another Bricklayer. With what materials had been delivered he assumed that that was all the materials needed.
He's now working at a loss so can't really push him too much, they could walk off the job. I was expecting around the 30 grand mark which I think might be getting close now? As there are no trusses the gable ends can't be built to the full height in one go due to stability which is a bit of a pain as the bricklayer needs to do other jobs while the cement dries and as it is a little breezy here at the moment and the last thing I need is for the blocks to blow down, they are the solid type too. We might have a telly up over the weekend.

Can I smell a club working bee this summer to get this finished off for you...?

Hope you got the Steel Co to make some hooks, and a nice stainless steel pole... :):)

I am finishing off a half rebuild of the family home. After three sets of "tradesmen" came and upset me I have now banned them and do everything myself, even the plumbing and electric. There is no such thing as a professional tradesman any more.

Ha ha, now I like your thinking, a working bee....Should have thought of that before :D My building experience is as good as my electrical knowledge, zilch :(

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Definitely shoddy and cowboy like to not read a plan properly. How could they price it properly for a start????? Unless they just pulled a figure out of their head :rolleyes: . As Alexander suggested contracts need checked but I'm guessing unless contractors pushed for a contract there was none in place? As its only a garage sometime these things are overlooked in place of mutual trust. Your going to have to sit down and come to mutual agreement with the builder and suppliers about the shared extra costs now involved. I would refuse to contribute to any costs towards the trusses as this was clearly the builders fault. If you purchased all the building supplies rather than the builder this simplifies things as you can pay the suppliers direct for extra materials

Sorry 00slk, didn't see your above reply before I posted mine

Last edited:
OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Definitely shoddy and cowboy like to not read a plan properly. How could they price it properly for a start????? Unless they just pulled a figure out of their head :rolleyes: . As Alexander suggested contracts need checked but I'm guessing unless contractors pushed for a contract there was none in place? As its only a garage sometime these things are overlooked in place of mutual trust. Your going to have to sit down and come to mutual agreement with the builder and suppliers about the shared extra costs now involved. I would refuse to contribute to any costs towards the trusses as this was clearly the builders fault. If you purchased all the building supplies rather than the builder this simplifies things as you can pay the suppliers direct for extra materials

Sorry 00slk, didn't see your above reply before I posted mine

Ha ha, It can happen to the best of us ;)

They have admitted that it was their fault for not reading the plan properly, so no extra cost happening. He's having to pay his workers out of his own money.
With the gables being put up first he is reluctant to go too high as they can come down in the wind, which has happened before listening to other building stories in the past.
The company who quoted the materials off the plans was done free of charge. I'd have more luck squeezing a stone and drinking the Whiskey it produces than they agree to compensation :rolleyes:
All I really care about now is getting the garage finished, now hoping for April for the roof to go on.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Building is often about re-acting to events and anyone who thinks it can all be planned in advance clearly hasn't built much.
The pandemic has been a nuisance.
This time last year no one could have predicted the year ahead.
I remember being offered £30 a bag for plaster during the lockdown and block being recycled from a skip.

Steel of those sizes shown can be
lifted into place on a scaffold in extremis.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Building is often about re-acting to events and anyone who thinks it can all be planned in advance clearly hasn't built much.
I remember being offered £30 a bag for plaster during the lockdown and block being recycled from a skip.

Pretty much the same as everything, but you need a plan. Fail to plan...plan on failing. But its true, the best made plans can and do hit snags. And probably no where more than in a building project.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Pretty much the same as everything, but you need a plan. Fail to plan...plan on failing. But its true, the best made plans can and do hit snags. And probably no where more than in a building project.
I call plans directions so I know where were heading but not necessarily how were going to get there.
Its a bit like slavishly following sat navs experience tells us to look ahead ourselves.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I call plans directions so I know where were heading but not necessarily how were going to get there.
Its a bit like slavishly following sat navs experience tells us to look ahead ourselves.
Sat Navs can be a journey into the unknown...which is why I always carry a road map as well..:

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I wish the beams could be lifted into place too with scaffold extremis, would save me a bit of money, but they are 7.5 metres long and the 4 beams weighed in at 1500kg's :shock:

20210216_073103.jpg

Here's a surprise, no builders have turned up today as they said they would :mad: Well I guess it is windy!

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wish the beams could be lifted into place too with scaffold extremis, would save me a bit of money, but they are 7.5 metres long and the 4 beams weighed in at 1500kg's :shock:

View attachment 65865

Here's a surprise, no builders have turned up today as they said they would :mad: Well I guess it is windy!
Well, as an electrician said to me last week when he was replacing a heavy electrical underground cable linking the house to the workshop ( it would be underground the fault was, wouldn't it? ) Better be looking at it,than looking for it!!! So you can take some consolation from that anyway.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

View attachment 65865

Just for interest only , look up scaffold runway systems, scaffold is very strong think of a roof stripped off on one.
You can't always get a crane in but if you can its quick and easy.
Although cost is an issue.

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just for interest only , look up scaffold runway systems, scaffold is very strong think of a roof stripped off on one.
You can't always get a crane in but if you can its quick and easy.
Although cost is an issue.

Thanks Kev, well I never knew that and can't even say I've seen anything like that before. This proves that I am a true petrolhead and don't observe anything else while out and about......apart from a nice short skirt on a hot summers day :D

Good news though, there is a team of 5 today to catch up on the build delays. :cool:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks Kev, well I never knew that and can't even say I've seen anything like that before. This proves that I am a true petrolhead and don't observe anything else while out and about......apart from a nice short skirt on a hot summers day :D

Good news though, there is a team of 5 today to catch up on the build delays. :cool:
1614162139625.png
Used one of the above to lift in a beam bigger than yours Peter into a new house extension. From the road, over the hedge and garden and into the roof

OP
00slk

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like a Transformer Rus.......
Across the road from us they are building new houses where a used cars sale building used to be. They had a huge crane there 2 weeks ago and again last week, I was tempted to walk over there and ask if they would lift my beams into position when I was ready and they happened to be back with the crane.
The teleporter driver said....Yer right!! :shock:.................So unhelpful :( :rolleyes:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have some old pictures somewhere of steel being erected off a Bamboo scaffolding in Hong Kong.
And it would be around the 1990's.

Seeing a shiny building growing out of some Bamboo is one of the oddities you come across and suprisingly the floor wasn't littered with dead scaffolders.

Much prefer a crane though.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom