More driverless Tesla fatalities

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Another driverless car tragedy, had it not been a tree it could have been far, far worse than it already is :(

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
on bbc news , yet another tesla crash and fireball , 2 dead , bout time the halted the sale of these cars to investigate

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Burning for 4 hours has to be serious concern.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Burning for 4 hours has to be serious concern.
That's partly because they did the wrong thing trying to put the fire out. They fired 32000 gallons of water on it....

The crash itself was Darwinism at work if the story is correct.
Two people in the car. One in the back seat, one in the passenger seat.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's partly because they did the wrong thing trying to put the fire out. They fired 32000 gallons of water on it....
Missed that bit.
You would expect fire fighters to know the correct medium.
Not particularly high voltage but treating it as an electrical fire or a chemical fire may have had a different outcome, maybe.
You would expect them to be able to add foam concentrate the water easily enough.

If these things have an increased likelihood of fire in an accident I guess we'll learn soon enough. If it isn't the non driver falling asleep there are plenty of scenarios where these will collide with summat.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Missed that bit.
You would expect fire fighters to know the correct medium.
Not particularly high voltage but treating it as an electrical fire or a chemical fire may have had a different outcome, maybe.
You would expect them to be able to add foam concentrate the water easily enough.

If these things have an increased likelihood of fire in an accident I guess we'll learn soon enough. If it isn't the non driver falling asleep there are plenty of scenarios where these will collide with summat.
Water is used to try to prevent thermal runaway but water itself can cause short circuits which create thermal runaway as well. On the one hand it can help but can also cause issues.
Dry powder and CO2 are generally thought more effective.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
U
Dry powder and CO2 are generally thought more effective.
Unlikely to be in quantity on a tender, hence the foam suggestion. It also stays where it's put better and creates an effective blanket.
Less than 2% (in water)foam is used on electrical fires, surprisingly.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

The crash itself was Darwinism at work if the story is correct.
Two people in the car. One in the back seat, one in the passenger seat.
Surely there something that detects no driver.....even my car gets unhappy if I do not keep my hands on the steering in "driver assist" mode & knows when there is no passenger in the car (airbags).

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman said an investigation showed "no one was driving" the vehicle when the accident happened as one person was in the passenger seat and another one at the back.

Officials told KPRC 2 the vehicle, was traveling at a high speed when it failed to negotiate a cul-de-sac turn, ran off the road and smashed into a tree.

What a waste of life, I can't help but feel for the families left behind. When will people understand that modern tech doesn't mean better and that cars are for 'driving', not masturbating over an ill thought out screen and that they needs to stop being suckered by all the hyped bs used to sell cars in this modern age.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
What a waste of life, I can't help but feel for the families left behind. When will people understand that modern tech doesn't mean better and that cars are for 'driving', not masturbating over an ill thought out screen and that they needs to stop being suckered by all the hyped bs used to sell cars in this modern age.
Why doesn't it mean better?

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Why doesn't it mean better?
The article says its all..... car driving itself, at speed and crashes with a very sad ending.

I've always said its good to see new technology (in all its guises) and one of the last things I REALLY liked was how the manufacturers made fast front wheel drive cars handle well, around 2012 onwards. I generally like the ZF 8 speed gearbox in a range of modern cars, it works and delivers the goods in a very tangible manner.

However, there are many things that are more of a distraction and pointless, therefore not necessarily better/safer.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
just been reading this …. I'm glad they've gone - before there stupid actions kill anyone that matters.

There is no car out there in production that is ready to not have a driver paying full attention at all times, fully alert and in the drivers seat. And no one normal can believe otherwise. The fact tech is getting ready to save lives and allow vehicles to navigate the councils wishes to infringe our liberty, is a great thing. The fact this moron was too dim to think and now we don't need to waste our time with them, is a major benefit for society

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom