I just got roasted for insurance..big time.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI
Just got a quote from Confused for the E350Cdi & SLC250d, both due in 4 weeks.
£220 for the E class & £250 for the SLC, including business cover on both.

SOB.SOB.SOB, suffering several different emotions,Anger, Mixed with jealousy and disgust :(:mad::confused::alien: but happy for you .:geek: For our 2 cars, Skoda Superb and the MB Eclass with mega years of NCB, its in excess of €1200 just for insurance alone for one year.:mad: And to put it in context, in 2016, it cost me €1200 for just one car (plus €600 for the 2nd )

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
SOB.SOB.SOB, suffering several different emotions,Anger, Mixed with jealousy and disgust :(:mad::confused::alien: but happy for you .:geek: For our 2 cars, Skoda Superb and the MB Eclass with mega years of NCB, its in excess of €1200 just for insurance alone for one year.:mad: And to put it in context, in 2016, it cost me €1200 for just one car (plus €600 for the 2nd )
:eek::eek:

jasboss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybach
Don't get me started...I only have to hear the words Car Insurance and my blood pressure rises.
In 2012 I was stupid and received a fixed penalty and 3 points for using a mobile phone whilst driving,
Fair cop.
I have (had) a clean license and have never had an accident or made any sort of claim, I passed my test in 1979 and at that point was averaging around 30k miles a year. Once the points had been added to my license I did the right thing and let my insurance company know as I'm pretty sure they can do their own check on your licence if they wish anyway.
Maybe I was naïve but I was expecting an increase of maybe £100 quid a year on my premium, the insurance company took a different view, my conviction, in spite of 33 years of unblemished driving immediately catapulted me into the category of "high risk driver" which meant increasing my annual premium from £216 a year to £684 a year, needless to say the poor sod on the other end of the phone got both barrels, all a waste of breath though. I did change insurers but in reality it made little difference.
To add insult to injury, from the point of view of insurance company's the conviction stays live for 4 years, whereas the law says at 3 years the points cannot be taken into account by a court, although they do remain on your licence.
The bottom line is that the total cost of my infringement (including the £60 fixed penalty) over the 4 years that the points were live was over £1900.
I have no problem with being punished for my mistake, I should not have been on the phone, but insurance company's take the p*ss and are a law unto themselves.
I agree with this, few insurance companies act like a lawmaker and fine hefty amounts for a small mistake, they want to hear just small mistakes from driver end and charge hefty amount and increase their premium..I have good experience with few companies as well but most of them are a pain in the ass

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I agree with this, few insurance companies act like a lawmaker and fine hefty amounts for a small mistake, they want to hear just small mistakes from driver end and charge hefty amount and increase their premium..I have good experience with few companies as well but most of them are a pain in the ass
Insurance is legalised robbery. But if you think that is bad, come to Ireland. 2015, I bought an A6,1.9 TDi.as a 2nd car. Insurance was €320. I had max no claims discount on our other car. Roll on 1 year and renewal. €1175. I called them about the obvious mistake, only to be told it was no mistake...because I had only 1 year driving experience with that car. Biggest criminals in the Country.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Insurance is legalised robbery. But if you think that is bad, come to Ireland. 2015, I bought an A6,1.9 TDi.as a 2nd car. Insurance was €320. I had max no claims discount on our other car. Roll on 1 year and renewal. €1175. I called them about the obvious mistake, only to be told it was no mistake...because I had only 1 year driving experience with that car. Biggest criminals in the Country.
You need to find a company who will mirror your NCB - there are some who do it. Hastings just put my premium on the CL65 by £12 to £241.03. Hardly call that criminal.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Shhh !!!
Be careful in case they hear you and decide their quote was done in error!

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
Yes indeed it is possible to have your bonus mirrored from one car to a 2nd - it's called introductory bonus, so you get the benefit of the discount without actually having the number of years' bonus. The number of years still starts from zero but as long as you stay with the insurer you benefit from the discount. When you leave you only take the actual bonus with you, ie. stay for two years and you'll have 2 years' bonus to use.

jasboss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybach
I agree, Most of them are on the seat to increase premium anytime,,,

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I agree, Most of them are on the seat to increase premium anytime,,,

What's this load of old tosh about then ??

'Car insurance premiums are set to fall by £35 a year after the government announced measures to curb the high number of whiplash claims. This week, the justice secretary, David Gauke, unveiled plans to introduce the Civil Liability Bill through the House of Lords, which will set out changes to the way these claims are calculated and paid.'

:rolleyes:

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
What's this load of old tosh about then ??

'Car insurance premiums are set to fall by £35 a year after the government announced measures to curb the high number of whiplash claims. This week, the justice secretary, David Gauke, unveiled plans to introduce the Civil Liability Bill through the House of Lords, which will set out changes to the way these claims are calculated and paid.'

:rolleyes:
In a nutshell, following a review of the whole whiplash claims system, the small claims track limit has been raised from £1k to £5k, so all whiplash claims can go through there rather than lawyers feeding off the system (though you can still get representation if you want it). This should prevent the claims costs from escalating especially when the claim is exaggerated or fraudulent, hence the hoped for reduction in premiums going forwards. To be clear, this was about controlling lawyers' costs, not highlighting a failure somewhere with insurers.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You need to find a company who will mirror your NCB - there are some who do it. Hastings just put my premium on the CL65 by £12 to £241.03. Hardly call that criminal.
Maybe they're not criminal in the UK, but for sure they are in Ireland. It's one big criminal cartel. The insurance companies, the legal eagles and the medical consultants. All nicely stitched up together. Only when the EU intervened was there something done, and its dragged on for years...committees investigations reports etc. Now finally, it's starting to drop. Last year it was €630, and this year it's ONLY €530.yabba dabba dooooo.
In a nutshell, following a review of the whole whiplash claims system, the small claims track limit has been raised from £1k to £5k, so all whiplash claims can go through there rather than lawyers feeding off the system (though you can still get representation if you want it). This should prevent the claims costs from escalating especially when the claim is exaggerated or fraudulent, hence the hoped for reduction in premiums going forwards. To be clear, this was about controlling lawyers' costs, not highlighting a failure somewhere with insurers.
We had a system like this in Ireland, basically to reduce costs by reducing the legal costs, which are massive..but when claiments decided to consult a solicitor, they were told that going down the legal route would get them a bigger payment...

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
We had a system like this in Ireland, basically to reduce costs by reducing the legal costs, which are massive..but when claiments decided to consult a solicitor, they were told that going down the legal route would get them a bigger payment...
Without Legal Expenses cover, lawyers can charge upto 25% of your award in fees. With Legal Expenses Cover you get to keep 100% of your compensation.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Without Legal Expenses cover, lawyers can charge upto 25% of your award in fees. With Legal Expenses Cover you get to keep 100% of your compensation.
Here, its always awards plus costs...

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
A feature of the no win no fee (conditional fee arrangements) is that lawyers stake a claim on a percentage of the 'winnings' but take the hit (or don't defend) if a loss is the most likely outcome from the outset.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Some bonkers numbers here in both ends of the scale.
Insurers have destroyed confidence in any form of logic...
I have 3 cars and the house due next month.
Not looking forward to it and am not unhappy with Admiral, but cannot trust them (nor any insurer) taking the example of the AA who just quoted a 30% increase in his house insurance!!!!

Oh, and I buy insurance for a living...

chic0821

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 AMG Coupe: Range Rover Sport: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S
I have three cars & all are insured individually (the wife & myself although she would rather get a taxi than taking a car out) with max no claims on each. Probably not the most cost effective way, but prevents Insurance companies screwing me if the worst happens to one of them on a multi car policy.

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not looking forward to it and am not unhappy with Admiral, but cannot trust them (nor any insurer) taking the example of the AA who just quoted a 30% increase in his house insurance!!!!

Well if you do not have any pending claims ( even if you are 1000% uncontroversial in the right} be prepared for a major shock.......actually even if you have not an impending

This is not good news, coming from someone who is in the insurance business.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Hmm

In previous years even as I sat there with 35 years of no claims, everyone's (or most people's) policy increased because the industry had "had such a high level of claims in the previous year". My bet is now on the prices rising because as the pandemic stopped many people driving, the number of claims fell and they had to reduce some people's policy prices but kept their head count up - so there's a hike on its way on the basis that their profits have fallen so much!

- All a bit like the real supermarket slogan: "Pay more for less!"

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hot tub claims rose during lockdown apparently so any motor insurer who also covers home will have been in the frame :)
For the "Industry ", the only priority is to maximise profits..so passing on " savings "will only go so far...

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom