Any motorcyclists on here as well?

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Im not surprised. It was the best on ebay by far. I just missed one at Roy Jervis too........ The hunt goes on.

You can pop in Roy Jervis next week and buy mine , it was them that bought it and are picking it up next week , unfortunately there maybe a slight mark up on what they paid me.

The one you missed - was it the one with showroom miles on it as the chap was talking about it yesterday when he called me.

K

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Rode the R1250GSA out to Mablethorpe today and got snowed on... still a great ride (heated seats, grips and waistcoat)... ;)
Spoked gold wheels are a PITA to clean... it was snowing on me whilst I was washing it... :(

Reactions: DSK

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Due to my age and inflexibility i decided the bars on the ZX12 needed a little lift ,didn`t fancy a flat bar conversion so Helibars were searched for but none were available so i made my own :

20210411_022349 by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

Fitted today :

20210413_171343 by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

20210413_171355 by Kenny Niven, on Flickr

Next week : plugs / oil + coolant change / emissions pipework removed from cylinder head / new rubber / new full Ti exhaust / brake pads and possibly a private plate.

K

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
You can pop in Roy Jervis next week and buy mine , it was them that bought it and are picking it up next week , unfortunately there maybe a slight mark up on what they paid me.

The one you missed - was it the one with showroom miles on it as the chap was talking about it yesterday when he called me.

K
They had one for £10k. Totally standard and about 4,000 miles. I bought a Triumph Steve McQueen off them last month. They've got another one now. Ive had a few bikes from them over the years. Always very well prepared.

They had a ZXR a while back with 3 miles on it for £15k. I asked them to call me if they get another, lets see if they do

There is another on ebay at the moment for £10,999 . Over £10k is just too much.

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
I must say Kenny your the spit of George Clooney :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Had a call from BMW as there's a recall on m y R1250GSA for the indicators... Is is because they work... ;) :rolleyes: :oops::p

Screenshot 2021-04-23 103400.jpg

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I must say Kenny your the spit of George Clooney :)

Well thanks , people have said there is a resemblance to George , unfortunately they meant Formby not Clooney .

K

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Rode the R1250GSA out to Mablethorpe today and got snowed on... still a great ride (heated seats, grips and waistcoat)... ;)
Spoked gold wheels are a PITA to clean... it was snowing on me whilst I was washing it... :(
does that mean u bought a 1250?

not ridden one yet. I had a 1200 LC but it was so missing the bottom and mid range grunt of the air cooled ones it wasn't such a good bike and I got rid of it...

if you fancy being naughty... https://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html I want a set …. oddly they don't list for the 1250 but dead sure they do them...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
does that mean u bought a 1250?

not ridden one yet. I had a 1200 LC but it was so missing the bottom and mid range grunt of the air cooled ones it wasn't such a good bike and I got rid of it...

if you fancy being naughty... https://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html I want a set …. oddly they don't list for the 1250 but dead sure they do them...
Yes, I have a R1250GSA TE 40th anniversary model, so much better than the 30th anniversary R1200GSA it replaced. That was a good bike, this is a great one.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
is it run in yet?

the mods r supposed to make it have proper bottom end grunt...

I've got a session at the dealer to play on a cheap mod. Not sure I want it but getting old and more toys the better.... found out the last of the 2007 GS's I've got could be bought with TC … well I think that's an exaggeration whilst its in the manual even some 2008 ones only got the TC as a retrofit option.

But Retrofit is crazy money, they claim you need new left switch gear and to have that fitted (to get the button) then you do the software.... its like £440...

But with the motoscan toy supporting turning on and coding stuff it shouldn't, I thought I'd give it a go... but I can't get it to play ball. I first tried a 3 switch one off an ebay job when buying a heated grip. That had INFO, ESA and ABS/ASC combined. Then bought an ASC buttoned one for not much still doesn't play ball. Getting the multimeter out to see whats happening and I realise the name of the button sends a different signal down the can bus. Rather than that position of switch sends a signal and the bike does whatever you want it to... which is how I'd have built it...

So having taken the original off the bike, and getting confused about which of 10 wires gets what signal and why of the two I bought, I was just confused so went to see how the ABS button of the original works when I discover the right ASC switch is already on the bike.,.. but its hidden by a cover without the third button position.

Still doesn't work, and I'm now on the page just like BM cars, the bike's "vehicle order" need to be updated to reflect the toys it has / you want. But neither the Hexcode GS911 guys or the Motoscan bod yet support the Vehicle order tweaking. So I reluctantly go to BM and say this 440 quid retrofit I'm not buying.... how much to do just the software? And they come back with a silly low price !!! so its booked in !!!

Now I'm wondering the RT loom I'm trying to pull to bits to get the Cruise control wires from might need that VO update too, but I'm too lazy to get it done in time and as they never did the GS with cruise I expect they might be strange about adding that one.....

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
TC is standard on the FJF1300, but I have never known it to cut in. But I do like the cruise control, something I wouldn't have thought of ordering on a bike. But on long motorway runs its great.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
is it run in yet?

the mods r supposed to make it have proper bottom end grunt...

I've got a session at the dealer to play on a cheap mod. Not sure I want it but getting old and more toys the better.... found out the last of the 2007 GS's I've got could be bought with TC … well I think that's an exaggeration whilst its in the manual even some 2008 ones only got the TC as a retrofit option.

But Retrofit is crazy money, they claim you need new left switch gear and to have that fitted (to get the button) then you do the software.... its like £440...

But with the motoscan toy supporting turning on and coding stuff it shouldn't, I thought I'd give it a go... but I can't get it to play ball. I first tried a 3 switch one off an ebay job when buying a heated grip. That had INFO, ESA and ABS/ASC combined. Then bought an ASC buttoned one for not much still doesn't play ball. Getting the multimeter out to see whats happening and I realise the name of the button sends a different signal down the can bus. Rather than that position of switch sends a signal and the bike does whatever you want it to... which is how I'd have built it...

So having taken the original off the bike, and getting confused about which of 10 wires gets what signal and why of the two I bought, I was just confused so went to see how the ABS button of the original works when I discover the right ASC switch is already on the bike.,.. but its hidden by a cover without the third button position.

Still doesn't work, and I'm now on the page just like BM cars, the bike's "vehicle order" need to be updated to reflect the toys it has / you want. But neither the Hexcode GS911 guys or the Motoscan bod yet support the Vehicle order tweaking. So I reluctantly go to BM and say this 440 quid retrofit I'm not buying.... how much to do just the software? And they come back with a silly low price !!! so its booked in !!!

Now I'm wondering the RT loom I'm trying to pull to bits to get the Cruise control wires from might need that VO update too, but I'm too lazy to get it done in time and as they never did the GS with cruise I expect they might be strange about adding that one.....

Not run in yet - that’s about 13,000 miles on a boxer... ;) It is booked in for its 600 mile oil change when the extra dynamic riding modes get enabled.
The suspension is a lot more automated than previously as it has weight sensors built in.
The cruise control is really handy for the motorway, takes a lot of strain off the right wrist. It’s one thing that wasn’t available on my 2011 that the new one has - that and heated seats :D

Reactions: DSK

eman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
21 EQC 400 Premium Plus
Are you beemer riders on boxertrix.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
My K1300 had rustic cruise dragging on the throttle cable with another module... (that's what I'm trying to put on the GS - as the RT got it as an option), but it only sets above 36mph and then you can nudge back to 33mph.... So its completely useless for 20mph zones.

Neither mototscan nor hexcode know how to sort it.... The K1600 allows you to set from 8mph in any gear.... I can't remember what my GS LC had, all I remember whilst it had leany over TC and ABS the modes all offended me. Only enduro pro let it accelerate almost cleanly without the TC nanny doing its nut. Anti-wheelie was part of the silliness. But then enduro pro turned off cruise control !!!

I wrote to BM and had a pop saying the new M5 gets to disable FWD so you can play like a child, yet I can't accelerate up the road, sort yourselves out ! And the Active ESA models built after Aug 2017 with the LCD dash got a software update in Jan 2018.... it enabled a more lively acceleration mode with the wording coming up on the dash "may cause inadvertent front wheel lift"

I was in Germany in June 2018 at this place (below) and came across an old boy (English guy) with the right spec GS and I asked if he was running the new software and he said "YES" (I thought BS you won't have it - he did), but then he said, "but I only have 3 modes, 2 are greyed out and I don't know how to get them to work". So I asked, have you fitted the dongle under the seat? and he looks at me like I'm mad.

I said till you plug that in 2 modes will be missing. What I hadn't realised was the mode the bike should always be in is one that's disabled unless the dongle is in place!!! So with some feeble protestation, I've got his seat off and I show the bag with the dongle in... then struggle to wriggle the multiplug from the cable tie to plug it in. He says "what will happen?". I said nothing at all unless you select either of the new the modes. He was dead chuffed when they where all showing available and then as he selected Rider mode Pro or whatever its called we got the message "may cause inadvertent front wheel lift".

Never saw him again. Wanted to know what he thought.... he was about 70 so did he really need it ??? but unless you're in Rain or that mode the leany over ABS isn't on anyway - so it should be more fun and safer....

P1050142.JPG

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
TC is standard on the FJF1300, but I have never known it to cut in. But I do like the cruise control, something I wouldn't have thought of ordering on a bike. But on long motorway runs its great.

BMW TC is a bit strange … the K1300 has the same electrical system as the air cooled GS (and the F800)….

mine went wrong and the bike couldn't be ridden (till you found how to disable the TC). It was under used bike warranty - diagnostics said front wheel speed sensor.... they replaced and gave the bike back, but it was the same... Tech didn't believe me... they then had half the workshop on the bike for another 3 hours !!!! Turns out BMW diagnostics made up what was at fault. Incredibly the ABS says, yes there's some form of signal, jolly good lets work with that. But the TC needs identical signals or it cuts in. Because the rear wheel speed sensor was starting to fail, whilst the ABS didn't care... the TC couldn't cope with life and just threw its teddies. Turns out the diagnostics is too simple.... in that condition BM diagnostics went I don't know what's wrong, but I'm not happy, we need to throw an error message... tell you what, just throw the first one on the list (which happens to be the front.) !

Anyway the point of the ramble... the K1300 had TC and it ruined the bike, it cut in all too often. And it was so abrupt (160 - 175bhp depending on model) the ensuing cut often did so with a really nasty almost catastrophic noise. It sounded like the crank would drop on the floor in two bits... But I found a fix, as soon as the bike starts, always nudge it in to Sport, all was good with the world. It accelerated cleanly and didn't stumble and didn't try to destroy itself. But sadly like all cars (until recent years) it swapped over other settings you didn't want with the ESA now getting it wrong!

Why can't I just have a slider and a choice in any menu, for any setting, just the way I want it...

You got me going now.... KTM software !!!!

Still suffering with my 1290 as its WP electronically always wrong suspension.

….when along comes "a safety recall for an electronics update". Yes, I thought ! at last a fix for worse than crap suspension. But there were no fixes !!! Instead they completely ruined the bike. It lost lots of power, the TC interferes all the time and nothing useful changed. Back the next day they re-flashed it again - some power came back, but the rear shock still didn't have any modes or move.

Magically it was just out of warranty and two dealers and KTM technical agree its needs a new rear damper. We all know it should have been free as they known issues on the early shock, but worse than me actually having to pay, it has not helped at all, making the rear even stiffer ! And it still has no usable suspension modes. Even the off road setting it has, would be far more suitable for a very stiff set up on a 145kg rider racing in Moto GP, let alone for riding on UK public roads, especially as its "meant" to be squidgy for playing in the dirt !

Then to add insult to injury, after replacing the rear shock and telling me there where no further software updates. Alongside an even more solid rear end, the front suspension had zero damping in both directions and lost all its modes. I had no damping for a year on the front, with covid it just sat doing nothing. Then I took it back to supplying dealer.... (which looks like its half as competent, but its actually the other way around) they listened carefully in disbelieve and bewilderment, took copious notes and incredibly actually tried to fix my concerns ??? After the first dealer had wanted £250 to service the forks, this garage felt that was ridiculous for the condition and mileage of the bike.

On pick up they said he spent 3 hours on it, re-flashed the whole bike and then found "the stroke sensor in the rear shock appeared to be out of calibration, with the back not sure what was going on that could have impacted the traction control as well. We've set that up and gave it a thorough road test and the tech thinks its now how it should be.... take it away and let us know what you think."

I get back on it, and now its got front damping again??? Whilst its good that the forks actually have damping most of the time, it still has a scenario where the damping switches out under the wrong conditions. Just as it did in the first 6000 miles when I first got it !!! Its both magical and dangerous....

Starts out OK and all seems normal, modes can be changed, and you can feel a bit of a difference at the front between modes. But after a bit of high speed back lane scratching, when you come to brake there's suddenly no compression damping at all (or any rebound) and you wobble about trying to make your stopping point. Then sit there in disbelieve "how could the damping be completely missing" … so you pump the forks whilst stationary and after 1.5 strokes every time, the electronics bang in to play and its normal again. It's always worked like this - (aside from that year's holiday it took).

TC initially seemed a bit better. Then seemed to wind itself back to "the always boring, always irritating mode" it got after the safety recall. Most would be happy I'm not, its a rubbish, dangerous series of wobbles now, rather than perfect safe lunacy it once had.

It actually used to be far better than the mess you see at most Moto GP starts.... but now its like some of theirs - a horrific joke - with ensuing wobbles as its poor implementation knocks the bike off line. So you go to put some weight to correct unwanted sideways movement, the TC kicks in hard and now your efforts end up totally off whack, as the bike stutters your weight is thrown about, and whilst you reacted quickly, the bike's half witted electronics are still over reacting to something that isn't happening anymore. The ensuing mess see's a series of intermittent joke interruptions on and off power and you end up all over the road (and look a total pillock).

Before that first software recall, it was always a dead straight line with a clean 10" of air all the way to 110mph EVERY TIME no effort, no drama (just smash it through the box) and focus on where you're going. Its was massively safer than the recall danger mode they've given it !!!!

The closest I can get to describing the change... it used to have two different elements of electronic irritation that by accident were beautifully combined...

Originally it was like a great rider had set it up with two separate 1 to 10 sliders
The TC was on 9 and anti-wheelie was on 6 (and it was just perfect)

Now they took the brain out stamped on it and let a at a 3 year old software engineer build in a self tuning algorithm of utter madness
With the TC now set at 1 and anti-wheelie a self tuning car crash

Last edited:

WiltsPhilR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG
I have a 1998 Yamaha YZF600. She's an old girl now but still rides very well with a nice turn of speed.
I also have a 1993 CB500 a 1968 BSA Bantam which I restored myself and an ex White Helmets Triumph Tiger 750. IMG_20210408_221914.jpg

Top Bottom