Service Reminder Overload!

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
My car is exactly 11 months old now so I have already booked my A service for next month, but I see Mercedes are determined that I could never absent mindedly forget this.
For the past 2 days every time I am out in my car I get this message popping up on the media display, so I have been selecting the call later option. This time however I selected the call option then cancelled it in the hope that the message does not appear again.
Oh and I have also had an A service due reminder on the instrument display as well, but only once so far.

While on this subject, unfortunately I cannot help but be rather distrusting of dealer servicing...there is always doubt in my mind that they atually carry out everything they are supposed to.
Ok there is not exactly much for them to do at this service apart from an oil and filter change and top up the screen wash, but as my engine does not have a dipstick I cannot check the colour of my new oil and I have no idea where the oil filter is located*

*I haven't actually looked. :p 20210527_151117.jpg

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I used to think that you're just buying a stamp in the book - but you don't even get that now!

sug

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w205 c200 2017 2000cc
Same here - found it very annoying so just reset the service indicator and booked it in with my trusted local garage. MB quote was £639 for service - not that I was ever going to take it there

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

While on this subject, unfortunately I cannot help but be rather distrusting of dealer servicing...there is always doubt in my mind that they atually carry out everything they are supposed to.
Ok there is not exactly much for them to do at this service apart from an oil and filter change and top up the screen wash, but as my engine does not have a dipstick I cannot check the colour of my new oil and I have no idea where the oil filter is located*

People do forget to service their cars so the reminder is useful to them (especially as it may invalidate your warranty if you forget). BMW has had a service indicator for at least the last 25 years.

Why would a reputable dealer risk ruining their reputation (and losing their MB dealership) by cheating customers on the work?

Why have there never been disgruntled “whistleblower” ex-employees telling all?

Of course they service the car!

If you don’t trust MB dealers, take your car to someone you do trust!

Last edited:
OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
People do forget to service their cars so the reminder is useful to them (especially as it may invalidate your warranty if you forget). BMW has had a service indicator for at least the last 25 years.

Why would a reputable dealer risk ruining their reputation (and losing their MB dealership) by cheating customers on the work?

Why have there never been disgruntled “whistleblower” ex-employees telling all?

Of course they service the car!

If you don’t trust MB dealers, take your car to someone you do trust!
I'm not saying a service reminder is something I am not used to....no of course not that would be silly :D What I am finding slightly unusual is the was this car is doing it.

In this day and age one would need to be rather naive to believe that everybody carries out the job they are paid to do without exception...and It has been well publicised that car dealers are not always squeaky clean.
Now I am not suggesting that a Mercedes main dealer would employ any underhand tactics, but unfortunately the seed of doubt has been firmly planted and will always be there...and this goes for all dealers.
Yes I have a choice of where my car is serviced, but having been purchased new and currently only 11 months old I would be unwise to have it serviced outwith of the MB dealer network.
I always find the whole service process stressful because my car is out of sight and out of my care, and nobody looks after my car to the level I do. To them it is just another car and often not treated with respect.

Last edited:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I'm not saying a service reminder is something I am not used to....no of course not that would be silly :D What I am finding slightly unusual is the was this car is doing it.

In this day and age one would need to be rather naive to believe that everybody carries out the job they are paid to do without exception...and It has been well publicised that car dealers are not always squeaky clean.
Now I am not suggesting that a Mercedes main dealer would employ any underhand tactics, but unfortunately the seed of doubt has been firmly planted and will always be there...and this goes for all dealers.
Yes I have a choice of where my car is serviced, but having been purchased new and currently only 11 months old I would be unwise to have it serviced outwith of the MB dealer network.
I always find the whole service process stressful because my car is out of sight and out of my care, and nobody looks after my car to the level I do. To them it is just another car and often not treated with respect.
Your statement....

“While on this subject, unfortunately I cannot help but be rather distrusting of dealer servicing...there is always doubt in my mind that they atually carry out everything they are supposed to” ..........

and now you say

"I am not suggesting that a Mercedes main dealer would employ any underhand tactics, but unfortunately the seed of doubt has been firmly planted and will always be there...and this goes for all dealers” .......

......gives the impression that you are being naive. There is nobody at the dealer that has any interest in a conspiracy to cheat customers or abuse your car.

Get your car serviced and trust that most people are not crooks or want to take your car around the block to hoon it. ;)

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your statement....

“While on this subject, unfortunately I cannot help but be rather distrusting of dealer servicing...there is always doubt in my mind that they actually carry out everything they are supposed to” ..........

and now you say

"I am not suggesting that a Mercedes main dealer would employ any underhand tactics, but unfortunately the seed of doubt has been firmly planted and will always be there...and this goes for all dealers” .......

......gives the impression that you are being naive. There is nobody at the dealer that has any interest in a conspiracy to cheat customers or abuse your car.

Get your car serviced and trust that most people are not crooks or want to take your car around the block to hoon it. ;)
Both statements are perfectly valid and do not contradict each other.
I can assure you I am being the opposite of naive!
We do not live in a fairytale world where everything is sugar coated.
Customers cars can suffer damage while in the care of a dealer, this is a cast iron fact that nobody can refute. The fact that it happens is bad enough, but some dealers can be shall we say less than forthcoming about it.
You last sentence is presumably meant as a joke, but you must be aware that this type of thing does happen.

Am I being over dramatic....yes possibly, but having heard of and witnessed first hand the underhand tactics by some dealers then they will all be tarred with the same brush until proved otherwise.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A friend had a 3 series BMW from new and it was always dealer serviced. Some 5 years after he got it the Aircon wasn't working well and he booked it in to a different place to usual. The pollen filter was totally clogged and looked like it hade never been changed even though the invoices for services showed it as a line item and he had been charged for it.
It's a common story. I'd not trust a dealer either. Jobs done to a timeframe and mechanics paid a pittance.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
A friend had a 3 series BMW from new and it was always dealer serviced. Some 5 years after he got it the Aircon wasn't working well and he booked it in to a different place to usual. The pollen filter was totally clogged and looked like it hade never been changed even though the invoices for services showed it as a line item and he had been charged for it.
It's a common story. I'd not trust a dealer either. Jobs done to a timeframe and mechanics paid a pittance.
Likewise a workmate with a VW.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I've seen the same from someone whose neighbour was a Mercedes technician and his shed was full of filters unused from services.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Both statements are perfectly valid and do not contradict each other.
I can assure you I am being the opposite of naive!
We do not live in a fairytale world where everything is sugar coated.
Customers cars can suffer damage while in the care of a dealer, this is a cast iron fact that nobody can refute. The fact that it happens is bad enough, but some dealers can be shall we say less than forthcoming about it.
You last sentence is presumably meant as a joke, but you must be aware that this type of thing does happen.

Am I being over dramatic....yes possibly, but having heard of and witnessed first hand the underhand tactics by some dealers then they will all be tarred with the same brush until proved otherwise.
Aeroplanes, trains, cars .....crash - "this is a cast iron fact that nobody can refute”. Do you refuse to to travel with any of them because there is a remote possibility you will be in a crash....... :D .

Perhaps it is just a case of getting used to having a new car and trusting that most dealers are ordinary honest people like you and me.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.

I had several BMWs from new. Always dealer serviced and always a plastic bag full of the old parts (filters, plugs etc) in the boot. Clever because they did not have to dispose of the old stuff and proved to the customer that they were not ripping anybody off.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I had several BMWs from new. Always dealer serviced and always a plastic bag full of the old parts (filters, plugs etc) in the boot. Clever because they did not have to dispose of the old stuff and proved to the customer that they were not ripping anybody off.
Unless those bits were from their own car that they’d serviced… :rolleyes: ;):shock:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Unless those bits were from their own car that they’d serviced… :rolleyes: ;):shock:
I’d hate to live in a world where I’m constantly worrying about conspiracies and the possibility of people cheating me. ;) I’m not naive and have been around the block several times but believe that most people are decent, that the earth is not flat and that man did walk on the moon. :D

Last edited:

th3h1ghlander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 350cdi (C218) 2012 / OM642
If no one mentioned it already...some Mercedes main dealers servicing offices actually offer a full commentary video of the service being performed. I would think this would help build the trust element and ensure the completeness of the service; worth asking wherever you are taking it if that service is offered. There has been fear-mongering for many years about main dealers but the truth is that is where most (of not all) brilliant Mercedes techs start and continue their careers learning to service and diagnose specifically just models for the brand you own, and thus will have the most familiarity.

With that said, time and direct experience truly tells whether a specific dealer/indie is one you can build a relationship with, trust and always come to amicable service provided for the price. In the absence of this, finding a dealer/indie that someone in your area swears by time and time again is also a good guide stick. I have been to a few indies so far and have found each good for different things but not settled yet on one that I would take my car to for everything. The search continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Perhaps it is just a case of getting used to having a new car and trusting that most dealers are ordinary honest people like you and me.
I am well used to the former, but always doubtful of the latter unfortunately.
If only everybody were as honest as us...

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I am well used to the former, but always doubtful of the latter unfortunately.
If only everybody were as honest as us...
I work on the assumption that most people are honest and don’t believe any urban myths or conspiracy theories. However we all have our crosses to bear. ;)

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An update to my first post....
It makes no difference if I select the call option then cancel it before it's answered, because I am still continually getting the reminder every day. At least the reminder on my instrument display cancels itself after a few sconds, but that is probably done for safety reasons.

Regarding my service...I am wondering if my dealer will change the oil by sucking it out or draining?
I suppose this will vary from dealer to dealer but my previous Audi main dealer used the sucking method.
Draining is ultimately better in the long run...but it will make no difference to me.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Draining is ultimately better in the long run... .....
It makes not difference when it's drained or sucked out. My Smart Roadster doesn't have a drain plug on the sump pan, so in order to remove the sump pan on my car I sucked the oil out first. There was a spoon full of oil left in there. ;)

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
It makes not difference when it's drained or sucked out. My Smart Roadster doesn't have a drain plug on the sump pan, so in order to remove the sump pan on my car I sucked the oil out first. There was a spoon full of oil left in there. :confused:
I'd have thought anything heavy not trapped by the filter would sink to the bottom of the pan.
thus leaving a thimble full while draining might leave the detritus in too?
Or doesn't it work like that :rolleyes:

Top Bottom