Any motorcyclists on here as well?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Started off on 125lc and finished on a CBR1000RR...which was shown the door 10yrs ago.
Bikes cannot be enjoyed anymore with all the cameras/helicopter/unmarked police bikes (i live near Matlock) and car drivers with cameras recording in their vehicles any enthusiastic rider will either lose their licence or be in prison and if i want to potter round at the speed limit then i'd never use a bike
I was up Matlock last week on the bike, fun can still be had

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
my new toy didn't turn up as expected.... crazy way of working and they misquoted the price to do it... been waiting a month for a slot to get it programmed !

option 630 ASR (traction control in BMW gobbledegook)

they said they'd do it for almost nothing and I knew they got it wrong, but I didn't realise the whole game is pathetic.... plug it in the tool says you need the software license (I knew that) seems they didn't, I need to buy one (I knew that, seems they are a bit simple), but now for the best bit.... they can't just say owner prepared to pay, tick a box and programme the bike..... oh no, Parts department has to arrange a special parts order, and it takes an overnight to turn up....

then you book a new slot in the workshop and then they say it doesn't work.... so had they been able to read the ABC paint by numbers of the BMW service reception booking computer, it would say license required £xxx, if the idiot prepared to be robbed, order before the bike shows up for the work...

So Monday we'll find out it won't programme and if it does about 5 mins later I'll realise if offends me... but I'm ready for that and intend to get at the software to leave only in sport mode but I expect that will cause the world to end.... and the other bit I want which they won't do is add option 538 to the vehicle order (VO is the BMW version of the "data card" Merc use) the idea if the VO is right the other modules programming might take to each other.... to give me less of a fight when trying to put RT bits on to give cruise control they never bothered to offer on this bike....

Fessel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1983 W123 200E and 1987 W124 200T
Reading some of the last few posts ( and not being a downer to anyone) I am very glad my biking days were over years ago....why does everything have to be so complicated now? What does it all achieve?...still 2 wheels an engine and a tank of petrol riding around. Mind you everything seems to be getting a bit strange as far as 2 wheels are concerned. Honestly, when did you last see a cyclist that wasn't lycra clad, bum up in the air. head right down, racing along going who knows where and probably doesn't know where he has been as he never looks up. Or is it just Me?

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Reading some of the last few posts ( and not being a downer to anyone) I am very glad my biking days were over years ago....why does everything have to be so complicated now? What does it all achieve?...still 2 wheels an engine and a tank of petrol riding around. Mind you everything seems to be getting a bit strange as far as 2 wheels are concerned. Honestly, when did you last see a cyclist that wasn't lycra clad, bum up in the air. head right down, racing along going who knows where and probably doesn't know where he has been as he never looks up. Or is it just Me?
Its much easier to ride a bike now than years ago, the handling, grip, & breaking are light years ahead.
I can remember drum brakes, cross ply tyres, & kick starts but I am trying to forget.

T5R+

Reaction score
Bikes cannot be enjoyed anymore with all the cameras/helicopter/unmarked police bikes (i live near Matlock) and car drivers with cameras recording in their vehicles any enthusiastic rider will either lose their licence or be in prison and if i want to potter round at the speed limit then i'd never use a bike

Nice place to live and great motorcycling roads.

Some peoples enthusiastic rider is another's lunatic - personally, I endeavour never to speed in 30/40/50/60 but generally approach NSL as No Speed Limit in the appropriate circumstances. Should I choose to ride at triple figures - know exactly what to expect.

I was up Matlock last week on the bike, fun can still be had

Was there Bank Holiday Monday. Too early for Fish & Chips (sadly) and so had to do with just a cup of tea and then away for some fun. There were some lovely mature generation bikes there.

I can remember drum brakes, cross ply tyres, & kick starts but I am trying to forget.

Boy, those comments take me back. Somebody will remind that we used to switch a mates tap onto reserve when he was not around.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

there's a letter in a bike mag about a bloke saying there's too much kit on modern bikes! What there is a lack of brains at the factories and no user adjustment to customise, so it helps a bit but doesn't offend all the time.

The new hyabusa just got the full montage of electronic nuisances. Some of it with great customisation (like 10 way TC) but then goes on to say the ABS cuts in all the time. This was the issue I found on the VFR 1200, normal braking activates the ABS and the brakes basically switch off.... leaving you to die when an actual tight situation occurs ! Yet on a normal bike you just use the 50% additional braking effort there is running it closer to the actual available grip of a warm front tyre.

The bit that wound up the guy writing the letter was the new advent of active cruise on bikes.... why would anyone need it ! Which shows his naivety and they shouldn't have even published his clap trap. All bikes need cruise and active is just the grown up variety we all need on every vehicle. Come across a 20mph kids roam alone zone, kick in cruise at 20mph, stay within the law, forget the brakes, forget gearchanges and worry not about speed bumps and just tootle along looking out for idiots, rather than speed cameras and silly policemen watching for you, who ought to be doing his job catching the hoodie with the neighbours TV under his arm.... Or 50mph fake road works with average speed cameras, hit the cruise wait till its over, then carry on pretending you're Rossi

On my KTM for a play I had a pay option retrofitted MSR (motor slip regulation). Its to stop the rear locking up under clumsy down changes. I was wondering if I throw some money at them, if you get access to later map or greater adjustment of any of its nannies. Sadly not.

Years back now, when ragging it on a track day they found bad riding can cause the rear to breakaway a bit and continue to slide if you've over done it under engine breaking. So they brought in a back torque limiting slipper clutch (makes the clutch slip in the wrong direction - to reduce engine braking). But now they claim the slipper clutch reacts to slow and it doesn't really help. I suspect the advent of MSR came as a side effect of the pathetic gear change assist. Or should I say destroy the box for a pointless nano second's gain (which after all is the "real win" for gear assist a road bike, other than scare children and help get us banned from the roads with a pop out the exhaust on full throttle upshifts).

Later they decided an average rider can't blip the throttle on the way down, so now needed to open the throttle to unload the box for gear assist down changes. Then I guess one development rider realised its fractionally more effective to reduce rear wheel lock up if you smash down the box at completely the wrong time. Which is the only way I can get any reaction from it (and here its very subtle). But to show they have no clue, this ends up in the same menu as TC and if you disable the TC then you disable the very feature that might help on a track day riding like you stole it.... proving they are utterly clueless and or the reality is 9 out of 10 of these toys are just market led trash only to up the price.

Lots of these toys have come with the advent of fly by wire. Its only there to reduce emissions as the computer can say don't ask for that much throttle, the engine can't deliver, therefore I won't do it and empty your petrol tank / destroy the planet. The trouble is they use budget controllers and its a snatchy glitchy mess to go with the part baked, snatchy glitchy mess the emission regs bring. So all in all, older bike's used to run nicer.... but its OK as in August this year we go to 10% methanol so if you have carbs watch your old bike self destruct....

That said, another reason to have electronic nannies, for most of you that haven't been on a bike for 10 years try getting insurance on anything above a 500 now, many don't want to know....

A reason I want TC on the GS is our beaten up roads are so bad, its more to protect the drive line than the bike getting squirrely. But as for anti stoppie and anti wheelie and gear change assist its just pathetic... If you can't manage that you shouldn't be on the bike.

Can't remember if I already wrote this here... in a letter to BMW telling them how to build bikes, (I'd mentioned TPMS - which is brilliant - although KTM too retarded to allow the tyre temp to display like you can on BMWs)... if you want to pretend safety matters, fit the £10 rain sensor, then use that and the TPMS tyre temp to rein back power / increase TC assistance with cold tyres / wet weather and also tweak the cornering ABS accordingly. And then let me accelerate up the road without it stuttering and holding back when I can see the road is dry and I know the tyres are warmed up....

FYI for no good reason stood upright BWM Rider Mode Pro (that activates cornering ABS) actually reduces straight line braking !!!
And on the KTM, cruise only works in 4th gear or above, and after 36mph, making its use in 20mph zones impossible !!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class 220d amg estate 2014
Here is my Fireblade before i packed up bikes with engines...now its pedal power

Attachments

• E5351878-8624-4B95-857E-3144E8CC86B7.jpeg
    E5351878-8624-4B95-857E-3144E8CC86B7.jpeg
    325.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 8

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Honda's philosophy with the blade was to make a bike that had sensible power and torque curves, fuelled well, handled well and didn't need nannies. And in the hands of an idiot or an expert could be enjoyed on the road, and was almost fast on a track....

then BWM rocked up out of the dark ages, tuning to death its new 4 pot 1 ltr and installing at the time very clever electronic leany over TC. On a track in the hands of world champ leaving drifts, a Blade was dropping back 10 metres per corner over a complete halfwit on a BWM (who had no idea how to ride) but could just nail the throttle and let the electronics' keep him alive.

the blade was a much better bike for public roads with an almost sensible riding position, but these days born again nerds can fund the toys and BMW won. Just as Honda gave up and threw the toys at the blade to keep some sales, BWM came up with adaptive suspension (that caught the eyes of the born again's - yet again). Honda went all out with a race bike called the 2020 blade, only for BMW to blow them all out of the water upgrading the nannies to world champ winning stuff and putting vvt in, so it met the legal stuff and rode like a grown up bike (where the blade is now gutless and unridable / unpleasant on the road)

However Blobcat's GS will leave them all for dead on a public road.... I was just talking to a new 55 year old sales bod with a S1000, he parked it 6 weeks back and hasn't touched it since he rode an Africa Twin 1100.... "having never ridden adventure bikes before" he's staggered how fast and how much fun they are

FYI Sideslip control 6.2 from Ferrari, (the name of current or recent variable TC) will hold a perfect drift with your mum just nailing the throttle these days....

Last edited:

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was in the Picos Mountains 2 years ago invited be Cheshire IAM. They were nearly all 2 up on GS's, I was 2 up on a FJR1300.
I could never keep up for the first 200 yards out of a tight bend, the GS just has so much more bottom end torque. But after the bend I was always quicker.
The GS also had a tighter turning circle due to its clearance, I had my foot pegs on the ground on quite a few tight bends.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda's philosophy with the blade was to make a bike that had sensible power and torque curves, fuelled well, handled well and didn't need nannies. And in the hands of an idiot or an expert could be enjoyed on the road, and was almost fast on a track....

then BWM rocked up out of the dark ages, tuning to death its new 4 pot 1 ltr and installing at the time very clever electronic leany over TC. On a track in the hands of world champ leaving drifts, a Blade was dropping back 10 metres per corner over a complete halfwit on a BWM (who had no idea how to ride) but could just nail the throttle and let the electronics' keep him alive.

the blade was a much better bike for public roads with an almost sensible riding position, but these days born again nerds can fund the toys and BMW won. Just as Honda gave up and threw the toys at the blade to keep some sales, BWM came up with adaptive suspension (that caught the eyes of the born again's - yet again). Honda went all out with a race bike called the 2020 blade, only for BMW to blow them all out of the water upgrading the nannies to world champ winning stuff and putting vvt in, so it met the legal stuff and rode like a grown up bike (where the blade is now gutless and unridable / unpleasant on the road)

However Blobcat's GS will leave them all for dead on a public road.... I was just talking to a new 55 year old sales bod with a S1000, he parked it 6 weeks back and hasn't touched it since he rode an Africa Twin 1100.... "having never ridden adventure bikes before" he's staggered how fast and how much fun they are

FYI Sideslip control 6.2 from Ferrari, (the name of current or recent variable TC) will hold a perfect drift with your mum just nailing the throttle these days....
Honda lost its way with the VFR1200, it was supposed to replace the VFR800 & Blackbird. It didn't.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Bleeding brakes !

Been struggling about ( if I think about it for years...) wondering what's going on, on my GS... and starting to think I'm getting old and that's probably why it doesn't seem to stop like it used to...

Then I had a light bulb moment, as it was booked in for the toy I've been rambling on about above, I said bleed the brakes will you, somehow you guys always get a rock solid lever that I can never match trying at home...

If just swapping the fluid (without disconnecting or getting air in the pump) the lever feel is never so good as they manage to get. And its a pain with the rear reservoir a baby joke that empties in seconds, so you're running about maintaining the level in two places, holding the rear reservoir out of its bracket and trying to stop that spilling (you can't top it up where it sits as std), then going lock to lock to reach the front callipers means you risk sploshing brake fluid over the instrument cluster, then I don't have the dealer tools and my bleed pipe likes to jump off the nipple and spray fluid about....

Now the GS has linked brakes where the front does some back if u want it or not, and with the funny suspension, with its hidden wishbone and a spring damper unit doing lots of work making the "conventional forks" much stiffer under braking and reducing dive, it means these usually stop better than nearly everything out there...

But in true BWM style, they build the ABS unit to die and mines gone twice. If that wasn't annoying enough, they buried the ABS pump under the tank with bolts you can't reach at all, even when the tank's off. Took 5 hours to remove to send for repair the first time !!!

Of course that means 4 pipes get disconnected and the reservoirs empty themselves, and to bleed it correctly there some procedure to follow that requires dealer tools to instigate some weird thing with the ABS pump. If you had the now £800 !!! aftermarket GS911 tool and read the how, its doable at home, but I didn't have one till recently and the next aftermarket tool (motoscan) has taken forever to develop this brake bleed feature, so I've never successfully used it. Rather choosing a nasty fight, sploshing fluid everywhere and mostly getting the air out... First round it went OK, then the ABS pump died yet again and after putting it back together it never felt quite the same, and even after stripping the front callipers a year later and bleeding both ends all over again it never quite got things as ship shape as it probably needed. But I'd forgotten and with different pads over the years, they've at times added and lost more braking, so I just put gradual deterioration down to my age / dodgy memory / the bikes abuse / pads that complain at the work load / life in general.

So I get the bike back after BM bled the brakes and its so much better.... And explaining more of the issues I've been having, it seem to have more braking effect than its had in ages. So I wonder if I had some air between what the fronts doing and what's supposed to happen at the back...

Last edited:

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Apart from a few things to make it go faster the best thing I did to my Harley was fit Harrison Billet Signature front discs & calipers.No fancy gizmos it just stops a lot better.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
A little 280 mile jaunt today :D :cool:
D8068929-24D9-4A58-AA29-2E847EAD1221.jpeg
52F1C079-BE0B-4F3C-AEFA-AA6CD76E7CC7.jpeg

A few who I was out with said they liked the sound of my can as I went past :p
The akrapovic and dynamic mode makes some great noises (also makes it go pretty well…)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bleeding brakes !

Been struggling about ( if I think about it for years...) wondering what's going on, on my GS... and starting to think I'm getting old and that's probably why it doesn't seem to stop like it used to...

Then I had a light bulb moment, as it was booked in for the toy I've been rambling on about above, I said bleed the brakes will you, somehow you guys always get a rock solid lever that I can never match trying at home...

If just swapping the fluid (without disconnecting or getting air in the pump) the lever feel is never so good as they manage to get. And its a pain with the rear reservoir a baby joke that empties in seconds, so you're running about maintaining the level in two places, holding the rear reservoir out of its bracket and trying to stop that spilling (you can't top it up where it sits as std), then going lock to lock to reach the front callipers means you risk sploshing brake fluid over the instrument cluster, then I don't have the dealer tools and my bleed pipe likes to jump off the nipple and spray fluid about....

Now the GS has linked brakes where the front does some back if u want it or not, and with the funny suspension, with its hidden wishbone and a spring damper unit doing lots of work making the "conventional forks" much stiffer under braking and reducing dive, it means these usually stop better than nearly everything out there...

But in true BWM style, they build the ABS unit to die and mines gone twice. If that wasn't annoying enough, they buried the ABS pump under the tank with bolts you can't reach at all, even when the tank's off. Took 5 hours to remove to send for repair the first time !!!

Of course that means 4 pipes get disconnected and the reservoirs empty themselves, and to bleed it correctly there some procedure to follow that requires dealer tools to instigate some weird thing with the ABS pump. If you had the now £800 !!! aftermarket GS911 tool and read the how, its doable at home, but I didn't have one till recently and the next aftermarket tool (motoscan) has taken forever to develop this brake bleed feature, so I've never successfully used it. Rather choosing a nasty fight, sploshing fluid everywhere and mostly getting the air out... First round it went OK, then the ABS pump died yet again and after putting it back together it never felt quite the same, and even after stripping the front callipers a year later and bleeding both ends all over again it never quite got things as ship shape as it probably needed. But I'd forgotten and with different pads over the years, they've at times added and lost more braking, so I just put gradual deterioration down to my age / dodgy memory / the bikes abuse / pads that complain at the work load / life in general.

So I get the bike back after BM bled the brakes and its so much better.... And explaining more of the issues I've been having, it seem to have more braking effect than its had in ages. So I wonder if I had some air between what the fronts doing and what's supposed to happen at the back...
That sums up why I have never bought a BMW.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
That sums up why I have never bought a BMW.

check out this one then..... two steps forward one step backwards.

it might be coincidental but others too think German manufacturers like to teach owners a lesson with magic software related failures. On BMW they like to check your service records and if you haven't handed them a large wad of cash recently, they enable a way to get at your wallet whilst its next plugged in.

My First ABS failure occurred 5 miles and 2 vehicle starts from being plugged in to Germany to do some out of warranty recall work.
Having had it plugged in on Thurs last week, 5 miles and 2 vehicle starts later, my Fuel level display has just self destructed. Now the "fuel strip" is notorious for failing so it might be a coincidence....

But its odd how having never missed a beat they both die just after a dealer visit where it was definitely plugged in and called home. The strip in the USA became part of a class action law suit which ended with BMW reimbursing some owners the $350 fix on 7 occasions, and extending the warranty to 10 years.

The part is 200 quid. And annoyingly a later mod of a grown up float sensor in the tank that doesn't fail (thats only £100), can be fitted with great results on either a lower spec or a higher spec bike than mine.... This bit might get the tank level read out to work, but the rest of the trip computer features die, as the 2 of the 4 wires you need to re pin to cope with the later design sensor don't have a home on my bike (on what's effectively my SAM). ZFE low no worries, ZFE basic (mine) is an issue, ZFE high can rework the maths via a second multiplug I don't have....

49400718637_97166cec3d_z.jpg

Last edited:

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
check out this one then..... two steps forward one step backwards.

it might be coincidental but others too think German manufacturers like to teach owners a lesson with magic software related failures. On BMW they like to check your service records and if you haven't handed them a large wad of cash recently, they enable a way to get at your wallet whilst its next plugged in.

My First ABS failure occurred 5 miles and 2 vehicle starts from being plugged in to Germany to do some out of warranty recall work.
Having had it plugged in on Thurs last week, 5 miles and 2 vehicle starts later, my Fuel level display has just self destructed. Now the "fuel strip" is notorious for failing so it might be a coincidence....

But its odd how having never missed a beat they both die just after a dealer visit where it was definitely plugged in and called home. The strip in the USA became part of a class action law suit which ended with BMW reimbursing some owners the $350 fix on 7 occasions, and extending the warranty to 10 years.

The part is 200 quid. And annoyingly a later mod of a grown up float sensor in the tank that doesn't fail (thats only £100), can be fitted with great results on either a lower spec or a higher spec bike than mine.... This bit might get the tank level read out to work, but the rest of the trip computer features die, as the 2 of the 4 wires you need to re pin to cope with the later design sensor don't have a home on my bike (on what's effectively my SAM). ZFE low no worries, ZFE basic (mine) is an issue, ZFE high can rework the maths via a second multiplug I don't have....

49400718637_97166cec3d_z.jpg
The problem with BMW is they make almost impossible to do the servicing yourself. Flat battery the ABS has to be reset by BMW. Honda Yamaha ignition off then back on, reset done.
I had 2 VFR750's & a VFR800 did well over 100K miles on them. I did all the servicing myself except for the shims check on the 800 at 50K miles.
Faults a set of front wheel bearing on the first 750, I was riding it all year. A regulator on the 800.
CBF1000 nothing except a battery, I did all the servicing.
FJR1300 nothing, I have done all the servicing except the rear suspension lubrication. You have to suspend the rear of the bike & remove the centre stand.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
the early totally mad BMW ABS is long gone..... 2006 or earlier few/none can repair and its 2k to fix it... most delete but even here you are supposed to swap the rear master cyl to get a 2mm different bore or the back likes to skid.

Mine has ABS2 came with 2007 models, which is the same as all the cars use with an ESP pump, but the brushes stick and it dies.... Not exactly sure what the pump does as its not the servo thing they used to have (which I think is the mad one you mention that's megs unreliable) the ABS2 version is the one they can enable the TC on (which is now on mine and working.....)

Last edited:

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW brakes are good but far to complicated. All the JAP manufacturers seem to be able to produce good ABS & TC without the complications that come with BMW. Never had a problem with the Honda or Yamaha ABS & TC.

Nigel Hewitt

Reaction score
Website
www.nigelhewitt.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300/W212/2014/2L Diesel Hybrid (Also a Honda CBR1000RA Fireblade)
Never had a problem with the Honda or Yamaha ABS & TC.
The early Honda ABS versions have an evil reputation for just letting the lever go back to the bar.
Expensive to fix and Honda denied it was a systemic fault.
Fixed now, even very good now, but a lot of people really don't trust it to this day.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom