W221 Tyre ratings

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Hello chaps
Looking for a new pair of back boots for a W221 S350L
Could anyone please advise on the importance of load ratings? The car currently has Yokohama Advan 275/40ZR/19 (105Y) on the rear, but I’d like to swap to Uniroyal Rainsport 5. The thing is, I can’t get those in either a ZR or a 105 rating, but rather R and 101. I see that the MO recommend tyre for my car is rated at 101, but does it make much of a difference anyway? And what about the ZR / R speed rating?
My first thought was that someone had upped the load to allow for the car being an “L” model?
Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Bertie

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The speed rating on the RS5 is Y so there are no issues there.

Michelin, Pirelli and Conti all list a 101Y on MO fit so the RS5 will be good to go

OP
B

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
The speed rating on the RS5 is Y so there are no issues there.

Michelin, Pirelli and Conti all list a 101Y on MO fit so the RS5 will be good to go

All makes sense, thanks for that. I guess I’ve just been thrown off by the fact that someone has fitted a 105 / ZR rated tyre on the car, exceeding the OEM requirements. Perhaps they got a good offer or something?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I say they went down a cheap route. Yokohumas are not the best.

OP
B

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
I say they went down a cheap route. Yokohumas are not the best.
Agreed! Personal preference of course, but I really don’t like them, and certainly not on this car. Compared to the Uniroyal RS3’s I had on my last car (w220), they’re extremely disappointing.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Agreed! Personal preference of course, but I really don’t like them, and certainly not on this car. Compared to the Uniroyal RS3’s I had on my last car (w220), they’re extremely disappointing.
Vary pleased with my RS3's, on the front of my E350CDI, & all around on the SLC250d.
I will be putting RS5's on the back shortly.

OP
B

Bertie Wooster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W220 S320cdi
Vary pleased with my RS3's, on the front of my E350CDI, & all around on the SLC250d.
I will be putting RS5's on the back shortly.
That’s the long term plan for this S350L. Sadly there’s a brand new pair of Yokohama Advan on the front, fitted by the dealer before delivery. Wish I’d know as I’d have requested the better (and cheaper!) RS5’s! ‍♂️

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
My E350 came with Pirelli's didn't really like them, & didn't last. Replaced with Conti's which have lasted & were an improvement on the previous tyres.
However the RS's ride better & are outstanding in the wet, not sure they will last as long as the Conti's but they are cheaper.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Truth is a combination of current quality tyres and current car suspension ability/electronics has produced great handling of pretty well every mainstream car on the road these days... those of my age that remember back to Heralds and Anglias on 5.20 crossplys will know just how far safety and ability has come on over our lifetime. I watched that video a few posts back and took away the underlying conclusion any of those tyres would be fine and price is quite a major factor.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom