HELP with command and head units

robertfells

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 C250 sport petrol
Hi all just collected a 2010 c250 sport petrol. it does not have command or screen units previous owner fitted aftermarket radio yuk.
I want to re install the units but wondering which one it was and if others also fit still need to check wiring to make sure its there.
Other option is to just change the radio to have blue tooth etc.
Advise pleaseeeeeeeeeeee
robert

Attachments

• ff5d721fe26b4f788623336a090ac5f8.jpg
    ff5d721fe26b4f788623336a090ac5f8.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 56

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
First off, search on here for a VIN decoder, input your VIN and get the build sheet for your car, that will tell you what it left the factory with.

After that, you have 3 choices :
1. Find a second hand replacement MB unit on Ebay or similar.
2. Look at suitable replacements from Pioneer and the likes.
3. Quite a few have fitted Chinese aftermarket Android units - you'll find threads on here about them.

2010 C class would be either Audio 20 (maybe with satnav) or Comand NTG4 or possibly NTG4.5 if it's a MY2011 facelift model. I have NTG4 in my July 2008 reg S204 C220, it's OK and has the advantage that you can update the satnav with "second user" DVD's, whereas NTG4.5 requires not just the DVD's but also a PIN generated from the MB mainframe - either by a main dealer or by a suitably equipped indie such as comandonline.co.uk. Unless MB have a special £99 deal offer on, this exercise will cost about £150! How much longer MB will issue map updates for NTG4 is a moot point - AFAIK I have the most recent maps on mine, and they're 2018-19. MB have already stopped NTG2.5 (in my 2008 SLK280) map updates at the 2019 version!

If you're within striking distance of J3 M3, comand.co.uk (forum sponsors) can supply and/or fit both the replacement Comand unit or a Pioneer or similar but will not touch Chinese units. They can also decode your VIN to get the build sheet. Have your wish list thought out if you get in touch with them.

OP
R

robertfells

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 C250 sport petrol
Great reply many many thanks not bothered about sat nav as use the phone all the time will have to think about this thanks again
Robert

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
why not just select a less hideous colour for the one you have....

if your current aftermarket one does BT music, BT calls, and DAB keep it...

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
why not just select a less hideous colour for the one you have....

if your current aftermarket one does BT music, BT calls, and DAB keep it...
Good lord have you seen the colour. That electric blue will drive you crazy, night time driving and it will be attracting flies and bugs at a rate of knotts.

OP
R

robertfells

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 C250 sport petrol
Well what a lovely reply guys firstly it wont stay one colour and keeps changing and i did not pick it.
Secondly no bt no dab.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
MB COMAND units are vin coded, so if you take that route you will need it marrying to the car via star. Some garages are reluctant to do this as they dont know where the unit came from (ie stolen).

ps only yanking your chain in my earlier post.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Well what a lovely reply guys firstly it wont stay one colour and keeps changing and i did not pick it.
Secondly no bt no dab.
I had one in SA that was stuck in some crazy demo mode that went round and round.... found a user manual on line and fixed that.

There are Merc look alike headunits with LOTS of new functionality and bigger screens at a lot less money and likely easier to retrofit

check ebay - they won't last as long as genuine merc stuff - but at this age and particularly if it never had comand - the amount of missing kit and looms to add higher spec original equipment will be costly and complex and for this year still quite basic

s-l1600.jpg

bootybandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 CDi Coupé
Having done a little research on my E250 CDi Coupe from 2009, I believe I have the Comand APS with DVD Changer with the NTG4 SatNav maps installed. What is the best way to upate the maps on the SatNav?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Updating NTG4 is simple - and there are 2 routes :
1. - the expensive way is to buy a new set of the latest DVD's from an MB main dealer or a respected indie like comandonline.co.uk.
2. - the joy of NTG4 is that you can use "second user" DVD's purchased from Ebay, this forum or t'other side - but make sure you buy only genuine MB DVD's as non-genuine (AKA pirate) DVD's have been known to brick the Comand unit, and the only way back is to replace the head unit - expensive!

AFAIK the latest DVD set for NTG4 is 2018-19 - which is what I have in mine, installed by comand.co.uk when they upgraded my early HDD so I could install updates later than 2014-15. I have not seen any further updates available, although Comand.co.uk did tell me at the time MB were still issuing updates.

Installation is easy. Empty the DVD changer, insert DVD1 and follow the on screen instructions. DVD1 takes about 1 3/4 hours, after whoch DVD2 tahes about 1/2 hour. This can be done while driving, and if you switch off part way through it will reatart from wherever it left off next time you start the engine.

If, however, you have a safe place where you can leave the key in the ignition engine off, and get a power supply to the battery, start the engine, connect up a battery charger either to the battery or to the emergency terminals under the bonnet, switch the engine off but leave the key in position 1 so Comand does not shut down, insert DVD1 and follow the instructions on screen. check the car once in a while to make sure all is going well. I've done this myself a few times. Reason for connection battery charger as mentioned is to avoid a voltage surge if you connect the charger engine off - saves any problem with the SAM's.

Edit - be sure to get NTG4-204 DVD's not NTG4-212 ones. This is an example :

Last edited:

Trev1964

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 cdi estate 2013
I did exactly this 2 days ago.
2018/19 maps.
Cost me £20 from ebay.
Dead easy to do.

bootybandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 CDi Coupé
Updating NTG4 is simple - and there are 2 routes :
1. - the expensive way is to buy a new set of the latest DVD's from an MB main dealer or a respected indie like comandonline.co.uk.
2. - the joy of NTG4 is that you can use "second user" DVD's purchased from Ebay, this forum or t'other side - but make sure you buy only genuine MB DVD's as non-genuine (AKA pirate) DVD's have been known to brick the Comand unit, and the only way back is to replace the head unit - expensive!

AFAIK the latest DVD set for NTG4 is 2018-19 - which is what I have in mine, installed by comand.co.uk when they upgraded my early HDD so I could install updates later than 2014-15. I have not seen any further updates available, although Comand.co.uk did tell me at the time MB were still issuing updates.

Installation is easy. Empty the DVD changer, insert DVD1 and follow the on screen instructions. DVD1 takes about 1 3/4 hours, after whoch DVD2 tahes about 1/2 hour. This can be done while driving, and if you switch off part way through it will reatart from wherever it left off next time you start the engine.

If, however, you have a safe place where you can leave the key in the ignition engine off, and get a power supply to the battery, start the engine, connect up a battery charger either to the battery or to the emergency terminals under the bonnet, switch the engine off but leave the key in position 1 so Comand does not shut down, insert DVD1 and follow the instructions on screen. check the car once in a while to make sure all is going well. I've done this myself a few times. Reason for connection battery charger as mentioned is to avoid a voltage surge if you connect the charger engine off - saves any problem with the SAM's.

Edit - be sure to get NTG4-204 DVD's not NTG4-212 ones. This is an example :
Many thanks Chris. Just ordered them from EBay. For £19.95 it's a good risk.

bootybandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 CDi Coupé
Updated my Comand SatNav NTG4 system over the last 2 days for my 2009 E250 Coupe, it now has the latest (2019/20 maps in, which I believe is the latest and indeed last update for this system.
Took a little figuring out, but got there eventually. It did take about an hour and forty minutes to complete, but for £19.95 from Ebay it was well worth it. I enjoyed driving around parts of Hampshire to while away the time.

bootybandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 CDi Coupé
Updated my Comand SatNav NTG4 system over the last 2 days for my 2009 E250 Coupe, it now has the latest (2018/19 maps in, which I believe is the latest and indeed last update for this system.
Took a little figuring out, but got there eventually. It did take about an hour and forty minutes to complete, but for £19.95 from Ebay it was well worth it. I enjoyed driving around parts of Hampshire to while away the time.
So after installing the DVD with 2018/19 updated maps, I contacted Mercedes and enquired of any newer map updates. They informed me that the 2018/19 is the latest maps they have, but a 3rd party may be able to assist with 2020/21 maps. Anyone know of any firm or company that does this?

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
most maps are not written by the car manu, but on Merc never seen an aftermarket update.

tele atlas (one of basically two people that do maps) used to do / take on later discs, I had one in my omeba - worked exactly like the original right down to the same mistakes Merc have on their maps 19 years on... Navteq the other player got bought up by a conglomerate of BM, Merc and another (I guess aming to make money before much of it went "free" - paid by selling your sole to the devil, in a sell out your children's lives / privacy loss)

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom