Newly joined - considering R231 SL63….

MC2022

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
TBC
Hi,

I’ve been having a read through the forum having recently joined. I’m considering a R231 SL63 and would be very grateful of any feedback from owners or those who have detailed knowledge of the cars.

It’s likely to be 2015 or slightly newer SL63 test us go for, and would appreciate any feedback on what they’re like to drive (are they big and heavy or as agile as some reviews suggest? - I’ve watched the Chris Harris review of the white car he tested a few yrs ago and also an auto express comparison to a BMW M6), how reliable are they as a “high days and holidays” ownership proposition, and what are the key things I need to be aware of when looking at a 5-6yr old SL63.

Thanks in advance for any info, help and assistance.

Mark

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

@drmw had one

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hi,

I’ve been having a read through the forum having recently joined. I’m considering a R231 SL63 and would be very grateful of any feedback from owners or those who have detailed knowledge of the cars.

It’s likely to be 2015 or slightly newer SL63 test us go for, and would appreciate any feedback on what they’re like to drive (are they big and heavy or as agile as some reviews suggest? - I’ve watched the Chris Harris review of the white car he tested a few yrs ago and also an auto express comparison to a BMW M6), how reliable are they as a “high days and holidays” ownership proposition, and what are the key things I need to be aware of when looking at a 5-6yr old SL63.

Thanks in advance for any info, help and assistance.

Mark

I have just bought my 2016 SL63 with 17,000 miles, and I would say the handing is superb, they are a joy to cruise around in, or press on in, compared to the SL55 the handling is sharp and nimble, The power is unbelievable, they increased the power to 585BHP and 900 NM with these later post 2014 cars. No problems so far, I am using it twice a week, so not a daily driver, fortunately with fuel prices and working from home, I don't need to drive it every day, and we have other cars.

Just a fabulous car, I am absolutely blown away by it. Couldn't recommend highly enough. Post any you are interested in up here, and we'll advise !

Oh and it looks fab too

5F9F68A7-8D56-4B8B-97A5-962E6E354F53_1_201_a.jpeg 80B19277-6753-4434-97C0-FC18E65F2767_1_201_a.jpg

OP
M

MC2022

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
TBC
I have just bought my 2016 SL63 with 17,000 miles, and I would say the handing is superb, they are a joy to cruise around in, or press on in, compared to the SL55 the handling is sharp and nimble, The power is unbelievable, they increased the power to 585BHP and 900 NM with these later post 2014 cars. No problems so far, I am using it twice a week, so not a daily driver, fortunately with fuel prices and working from home, I don't need to drive it every day, and we have other cars.

Just a fabulous car, I am absolutely blown away by it. Couldn't recommend highly enough. Post any you are interested in up here, and we'll advise !

Oh and it looks fab too

View attachment 77445 View attachment 77442
Thanks for the reply, your car looks great and I really like the colour combination you’ve got in/on yours.

You’ve mentioned the handling being pretty good, and I’d be grateful if you could let me know what you’re gauging the SL63 on. I’m coming from a Porsche and although I really don’t expect the SL63 to handle the same as the Porsche, I’d still like to ensure it’s not just a hugely fast “cruiser”…if that makes sense.

There are a a range of SL63s available and some are facelifted, are the differences significant in the facelift cars?

Once again I really appreciate the feedback you’ve given and would welcome any further feedback from others.

Regards

Mark

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Oh and it looks fab too

View attachment 77445 View attachment 77442
That Red interior is to die for Mark :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
I’m coming from a Porsche and although I really don’t expect the SL63 to handle the same as the Porsche
There are a few of us on here and some who still have a Porsche. I had a 997.1 C2.

My father thinks the SL much nicer. I had my doubts, but one year of ownership and at this point in time I doubt whether I would consider another Porsche.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
There are a few of us on here and some who still have a Porsche. I had a 997.1 C2.

My father thinks the SL much nicer. I had my doubts, but one year of ownership and at this point in time I doubt whether I would consider another Porsche.
I'm one with a 991.1C2S (and an SLK) ;) One is a sports car the other isn't...

SL63 I haven't driven but I've driven a few SL55's and they're very nice indeed, more grand tourer than sports car though. I have tracked a SL55 and it was fun but it's not the place it was built for.

OP
M

MC2022

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
TBC

Thanks for the feedback, I had a 997.2 C2S (PDK). I would be grateful if you could confirm where you feel the SL is “preferable” to the Porsche?

I assume that the handling of the SL is not miles behind the Porsche, and obviously the straight line performance of the SL63 is beyond the Porsche.

I’m changing car as I just want a change (ie I still like the 911) but without trading off too many of the things that I liked about the Porsche. The next car needs to have a sense of occasion and feel special, and I think the SL would l have both of these things.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Hi, I think the overall SL package is better than the 911.

I agree with blobcat, but I think we all already know the SL is not a sports car. I like the increased comfort, I think the interior is better quality and looks nicer. I think the ride is far more relaxing and refined. I think the style is timelessly elegant whereas a 911 is timelessly sexy/cute. Roof up/down is nice and I prefer the roof up feel in the SL compared to the roof up feeling in the 987 Boxster I had.

I have the facelift SL350 R230 which has similar bhp to the first R230 500s and I find it to be quick enough for me. My life with the 911 included a lot of miles in Europe on tour with friends. We got to really use the performance of the cars and that experience kind of wrecked driving in the UK for me - every time I took the 911 out I would be frustrated, stuck behind cars in long "zombie clusters" (quoting user Rorywquin) of little city cars, all the other downsides of UK driving. Often when overtaking I would get abuse, I was so frequently tailgated or had someone try to race me - wow how we love all those prats in A1s and 1 series BMWs who have something to prove. The 911 is just not a great solution for UK roads in 2022 IMO. Screaming through the Pyrenees, The Alps, Blackforest road in Germany, or the Italian Lakes - a 911 is great fun. It is less exhausting in the SL though, partially because of ride quality, partially because it is a different kind of drive.

If I wanted massive power, and that engaging "hands on" kind of drive, I would look at the Turbo 911s. I would also check out the SL63 and see which tempted me the most.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Hmmm, 'considering' is not a word I ever use........'Buy' is my word (you see I have a huge brain but nothing else) you wont be disappointed. Not sure if the r231 has ABC if not then the Porsche will be a little ahead on the cornering aspect :)

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Porsche has never been my thing. Having worked as a Salesman in a high end sports car dealership in my youth I did get to drive all sorts of cars. I know I am talking back in the early 70’s but they always had a strange driving position, IE the pedals were too high, and they were all too ready to swap ends with little or no warning. The Pagodas for me were a much nicer drive. :)

That was in the early 70’s though so has absolutely no relevance to the market place today. Just a thought that went through my mind when I read Sausage’s post above :rolleyes:

OP
M

MC2022

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
TBC
I’ve now had a drive of a SL63. The car felt better than I expected in terms of body control and steering feel. It felt planted, not wallowy and not heavy. It is a reasonably big car but not intimidating. I didn’t open it up much at all, and was happy to assume it’ll be more than fast enough .

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thanks for the reply, your car looks great and I really like the colour combination you’ve got in/on yours.

You’ve mentioned the handling being pretty good, and I’d be grateful if you could let me know what you’re gauging the SL63 on. I’m coming from a Porsche and although I really don’t expect the SL63 to handle the same as the Porsche, I’d still like to ensure it’s not just a hugely fast “cruiser”…if that makes sense.

There are a a range of SL63s available and some are facelifted, are the differences significant in the facelift cars?

Once again I really appreciate the feedback you’ve given and would welcome any further feedback from others.

Regards

Mark
Prior to my SL55, My previous car was a 993 carrera, before that a 964 and before that a 3.2 carrera and a 2.7 targa. I have owned 4 air cooled 911s, so understand Porsche handling. If you want Porsche handling, I would buy a Porsche. The SL is a whole different experience. Try it and see, you may like it. It is heavier, but very fast and confidence inspiring. It’s like the difference between an F35 and a piper cub. The cub will give you the more seat of the pants experience, the F35 will be on a whole different level.

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I didn’t open it up much at all, and was happy to assume it’ll be more than fast enough .

Oh yes. With 585 bhp, the post 2014 SL63 has Better power to weight ratio than a 997 turbo, or a 959 for that matter.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom