Negative experience with Mercedes

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
Purchased a low mileage 2013/14 one owner 24k E Class CDI 220 was running perfectly then with no warning the car cut out. Mercedes dealer say the injector has melted the piston. They looked to Mercedes for some sort of customer support as it needs a replacement engine. Mercedes did not want to know. It has Mercedes dealer service but they claimed it missed a service (not when I have owned it ) and because of it's age will do nothing. So anyone thinking of buying a low mileage Mercedes diesel that does not match their criteria is think again. It has finished me with Mercedes and I have had E Classes since 2009. Most brand new but they do not give a toss about customer care.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Get yourself to a mercedes indy for another opinion. Mercedes dont repair they replace.
An injector melting a piston....... hmmmm

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
Get yourself to a mercedes indy for another opinion. Mercedes dont repair they replace.
An injector melting a piston....... hmmmm
Unfortunately got know way of proving it. They claim they looked at it with a camera. Can't really take the car anywhere else now as the local indy is miles away. The dealer will be "quoting" me tomorrow for one of the Mercedes remanufactured engines. Which with no Mercedes support will cost thousands. So it's either buy an engine or scrap it. Great choice.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Erm no get a company to take car to indy. Yes MB will happliy charge you 10k.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
FWIW , you have an eight year old car with an incomplete main dealer service history so did you really expect (any) manufacturer to pick up the tab for such a major financial repair ??

Injector melting the piston , how does that work when the injector tip only reaches the internal temp of the cylinder when combustion takes place , this statement alone would make me to get the car from the MD clutches ASAP.

The price for a recon engine + fitting will be huge from the dealer so i would get it recovered to a recommended Indy and see what they have to say regarding the repair or replacement of the motor.

K

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
If you had a 2 stroke engine, the melted piston might make sense, very common with these engines.
But, since you dont have anything like that, take the car to someone who knows what they are talking about.

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
FWIW , you have an eight year old car with an incomplete main dealer service history so did you really expect (any) manufacturer to pick up the tab for such a major financial repair ??

Injector melting the piston , how does that work when the injector tip only reaches the internal temp of the cylinder when combustion takes place , this statement alone would make me to get the car from the MD clutches ASAP.

The price for a recon engine + fitting will be huge from the dealer so i would get it recovered to a recommended Indy and see what they have to say regarding the repair or replacement of the motor.

K
Service history is not incomplete as the mileage was so low I guess the first owner skipped a year which in my view does not make a low mileage car melt a piston. But that was their get out. No I did not expect them to change an engine foc, BUT I would expect some sort of customer good will. Not forthcoming. Yes the idea that the injector melted the piston seems odd. At first they said it was running but rough with black smoke. Job to know what to believe. It never ran right from the day they updated the emissions software.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
If you have a recovery plan ie AA then go to the car and call them to take it to an Indy. If you are in Oxford then I sure there are good Indy's on here near you.

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
It’s an 8 year old car, I can understand the head offices position. But any recovery company will pick up a dead car and move it to where you want it. What’s a couple of hundred compared to ten thousand plus from the main dealer who will fit a new engine. Can highly recommend Autoclass in Milton Keynes but there must be good indies nearer you.

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
It’s an 8 year old car, I can understand the head offices position. But any recovery company will pick up a dead car and move it to where you want it. What’s a couple of hundred compared to ten thousand plus from the main dealer who will fit a new engine. Can highly recommend Autoclass in Milton Keynes but there must be good indies nearer you.
There is an Indy in Princess Risborough Bucks who I may go and see tomorrow and get there view of it.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
Service history is not incomplete as the mileage was so low I guess the first owner skipped a year.

If the schedule is 12k or 12m whichever comes first for a service it does not have a complete history (unless MB now have CBS) , i totally understand the low mileage argument but unfortunately the dealer will play it by the book if it will get them out of a goodwill gesture.

Complete engines for the 220 start at £2.5k according to the bible that is eBay , even with fitting it will be a considerable saving over what the MD will be wanting.

Remember to be sitting down when they give you the fitted price of the new motor.

K

OP
SteveCa

SteveCa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E 220 CDI
If the schedule is 12k or 12m whichever comes first for a service it does not have a complete history (unless MB now have CBS) , i totally understand the low mileage argument but unfortunately the dealer will play it by the book if it will get them out of a goodwill gesture.

Complete engines for the 220 start at £2.5k according to the bible that is eBay , even with fitting it will be a considerable saving over what the MD will be wanting.

Remember to be sitting down when they give you the fitted price of the new motor.

K
Yes I have been looking at the prices on the remanufactured MB website. Not cost effective for the age of the car. Will see what they come up with. Or speak to the two localish Indys.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I've just had great service from Diagnostic Service and Repair in Leighton Buzzard.
They use genuine parts and can update the DSR.

01525 383 000

Units 28-29

Harmill Ind Est

Leighton Buzzard

LU74FF

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
about melting piston: yes that can happen if injector won't close properly. First there is a knockins sound for a while and then is eventually overheats enough and pierce the piston. Rare but 'known' event.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
D
Unfortunately got know way of proving it. They claim they looked at it with a camera. Can't really take the car anywhere else now as the local indy is miles away. The dealer will be "quoting" me tomorrow for one of the Mercedes remanufactured engines. Which with no Mercedes support will cost thousands. So it's either buy an engine or scrap it. Great choice.
Deffo get a second opinion. And then make a choice. I am afraid mb customer service is often, but not always under par today it survives on a 40 Yr old illusion.
And we keep falling for it... I think mb interiors are hard to beat. But qlty of rest of car prob no better than kia or vw.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Yes I have been looking at the prices on the remanufactured MB website. Not cost effective for the age of the car. Will see what they come up with. Or speak to the two localish Indys.
Not “or speak to” the indies. Definitely DO speak to them. I’m sure they would be only too happy to help!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom