My First Stone Chip

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I found my first stone chip on my car today, and it is in one of the worst places towards the front of the bonnet in the centre!
Funny thing is I washed my car this morning and did not notice anything, but later on when putting it in my garage after around 5 miles of town driving I noticed a mark which I assumed was a dead insect, but when it didnt rub off I realised it was a paint chip. :oops:
I have touched it up using the cocktail stick method, but although it is better it is never perfect and I will always be looking for it and finding it in future.
It really ****es me off because I am always so careful with my car and try to avoid these things. It has only been driven 2900 miles from new in November 2021.
Just goes to show that it doesnt matter what you do...if it is going to happen there is literally **** all you can do to prevent it.
Looks like webuyanycar will have a genuine reason to knock off £100 from my quote if I ever decide to sell. :p

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It’s patina…:cool:

You get them by driving and having fun, it’s a reminder that you’ve been having fun. Nothing worse than MIP or BNIB for something that was made to be used

OP
Ron240

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
But I want my cars to be just as good/better than the day I drove them out if the showroom.
I wish I could activate a force field while driving or even better while parked.
Picard raise-shields.jpg

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
I can sympathise with the op here as I'm rather the same and like my cars to be pretty much pristine. However l guess you have to be realistic too and cars will be subjected to wear & tear (including stone chips) all of the time, even when standing still.
If it helps, l find something like what the op reported eventually slips to the back of the mind and you eventually stop noticing these minor imperfections.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
I can sympathise with the op here as I'm rather the same and like my cars to be pretty much pristine. However l guess you have to be realistic too and cars will be subjected to wear & tear (including stone chips) all of the time, even when standing still.
If it helps, l find something like what the op reported eventually slips to the back of the mind and you eventually stop noticing these minor imperfections.
Agreed, more important things in life, BUT still bl00dy annoying though! Especially if your a tad OCD'ic (is that a word) :rolleyes: :)

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
As per OP, so frustrating.
But as per others, it's a reminder of use.

PPF is your only option, but it's not cheap given the prep needed.

My OCD is triggered cause I can't even wash the bl**dy car now (hose pipe ban) but there are bigger things to worry about in reality.

PPF?

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
As per OP, so frustrating.
But as per others, it's a reminder of use.

PPF is your only option, but it's not cheap given the prep needed.

My OCD is triggered cause I can't even wash the bl**dy car now (hose pipe ban) but there are bigger things to worry about in reality.

PPF?
WWW.. Waterless Wash and Wax is good. :)

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
More likely to get them on the back of a Ferrari…;):p

It might have been on Top Gear, whereby a day at the track did horrific damage to the rear valance and rear wheel arches of a Ferrari.

The front of my car was caused by a 4 day trip around Scotland with friends. Enthusiastic driving, and close enough to each other to do that to all ten cars. (We had clocked up over 5,000 miles together on various trips and were very comfortable in "close formation" knowing the others driving habits well).
We all had front end resprays after that trip.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
It might have been on Top Gear, whereby a day at the track did horrific damage to the rear valance and rear wheel arches of a Ferrari.

The front of my car was caused by a 4 day trip around Scotland with friends. Enthusiastic driving, and close enough to each other to do that to all ten cars. (We had clocked up over 5,000 miles together on various trips and were very comfortable in "close formation" knowing the others driving habits well).
We all had front end resprays after that trip.
Grand Tour, they also destroyed the carbon under trays of the Ferrari. Nice to look at is what they are…

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Grand Tour, they also destroyed the carbon under trays of the Ferrari. Nice to look at is what they are…
I remember chatting to the guys at Maranellos about the F40 they had for sale. I think Jay K might have been in to look at it. The previous owner had dared to use the accelerator on a damp road, ended up backwards up a kerb. He needed a new rear valance. I cannot remember exactly how much it cost, but it was about 2001 and I think the dealer said it was £25,000 for the repair. So in today's money that is probably about £10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I found my first stone chip on my car today, and it is in one of the worst places towards the front of the bonnet in the centre!
Funny thing is I washed my car this morning and did not notice anything, but later on when putting it in my garage after around 5 miles of town driving I noticed a mark which I assumed was a dead insect, but when it didnt rub off I realised it was a paint chip. :oops:
I have touched it up using the cocktail stick method, but although it is better it is never perfect and I will always be looking for it and finding it in future.
It really ****es me off because I am always so careful with my car and try to avoid these things. It has only been driven 2900 miles from new in November 2021.
Just goes to show that it doesnt matter what you do...if it is going to happen there is literally **** all you can do to prevent it.
Looks like webuyanycar will have a genuine reason to knock off £100 from my quote if I ever decide to sell. :p
I have 3 or 4 little ones -- filled them in & forgot about them. I’m also careful and will avoid newly surfaced roads, keep a god gap from the car ahead etc but chips seem to be inevitable.:)

It is only a car but I look after everything I own.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Perhaps we should start a petition ‘no more stone chipped roads’ the motorist (or should I say cash cow) always loses lol

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Perhaps we should start a petition ‘no more stone chipped roads’ the motorist (or should I say cash cow) always loses lol
Apparently there was one a while ago (not sure how far it got) - I was going to sign up until I read that cyclists also do not like them (stone chipped roads). ;)

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
I always keep a respectable distance from the vehicle in front to try to avoid as many chips as possible. Even my Distronic distance is set to maximum.
That's one of the reasons I avoid motorways if possible. Someone will always fill in the gap I leave! :mad:

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
I always keep a respectable distance from the vehicle in front to try to avoid as many chips as possible. Even my Distronic distance is set to maximum.
That's one of the reasons I avoid motorways if possible. Someone will always fill in the gap I leave! :mad:
Problem is you get chips from cars going in the opposite direction on other roads.

Have you noticed how much notice people take of the 20mph signs on freshly treated roads?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Perhaps Satnavs should include a warning of the whereabouts of gritting lorries I’m like a rabbit in headlights when I pass one of those it makes you feel absolutely helpless and of course to make matters worse they seem to travel faster nowadays

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom