Brabus PowerExtra D6 kit for all Diesel V6's

NewMB

Reaction score
Thought I write a small report on this tuning kit which is offered via all Mercedes-Benz dealers in the UK. One which I have now fitted to my car.

The kit is called "PowerExtra D6 (III)" and gives you 48 Bhp/80 Nm more and fits all MB's diesel V6's, fitted in the UK my MB fully covered with warranty - it will not void warranty!

Of course, as a dealer-fit option only, you will have to tell your insurance company.

The following models are covered...

C320 Cdi
E280 Cdi
E320 Cdi
CLK320 Cdi
ML280 Cdi
ML320 Cdi
CLS320 Cdi
S320 Cdi
GL320 Cdi

Etc etc etc.

Anyway, I decided to keep my car (different thread - thinking of ML or new C) and fit one of these boxes instead. Rang my local dealer who had no idea that it could be fitted to the C class. Double checked with Brabus in Dusseldorf, and the answer.... oh yes. No problem. All MB dealers in UK can do it.

Anyway, rang the Ipswich branch and they were more than happy to help. Booked in a couple of days later and box fitted. The Service Manager even confirmed that they can do all cars above. But not the C/E 220 Cdi's due to not been approved by MB (yet).

The guy who did the work has been at MB for 12 years and this was his first C class. After the testdrive, he was raving on about how responsive the car was, gearbox smoother etc. Of course, I had no idea.

Paid (£1500 incl VAT and fitting) the box is like the size of two packs of cigarettes and conected by wires into the fuel system/ECU.

Started the car, slightly different tune - more muted. Select drive and off we go. Even at low speed I could feel the difference. Out on the A14 and off, slowly. There was a difference for sure....

Ok, time for the "proper" accelaration test. Anyone who drives a 320 Cdi already knows that this engine is great with so much low-down torque that changing down bearly is needed. A couple of tips of the gearchanger and off we went....

WOW. Is all I can say. The car is now much faster in-gear. Unbelivable speed of acceleration. Gearbox is super smooth, engine more muted and to top it all off, under normal driving actually takes less fuel.

I am very pleased and yes, it is not cheap neither the box nor insurance but it feels like a new car and is a small premium to pay instead of changing car and paying more for a bigger engine.

I would certainly recommend this to anyone who are thinging of doing it.

Brabus does have a few criterias, car must be below 2 years old and covered less than 20.000 Miles in order to be fully covered.

If anyone wants to know more, I would be more than happy to help.

OP
NewMB

NewMB

Reaction score
After driving some 2000 miles since the kit was installed, I am happy to confirm that the fuelconsumption has gone down, ie more MPG.

I had an average of around 38 mpg before kit, now 45.3!

As a really OT thing:a friend of mine has an Audi RS4.... Well, 0-60 he wins, but in-gear, he was unable to outaccelerate me... :cool:

A210AMG

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds great and getting 45mpg yet keeping up with an RS4 thats awesome.

Put a C200cdi badge on it just to really pee people off....

:eek:)

OP
NewMB

NewMB

Reaction score
Hello,

Sounds great and getting 45mpg yet keeping up with an RS4 thats awesome.

Put a C200cdi badge on it just to really pee people off....

:eek:)

Good suggestion.

Perhaps I was lucky with the RS4? Did also try aginst an M3 (on the M1).... same result.

A210AMG

Reaction score
Like you say its not 0-60 times that will impress although I bet its pretty handy, but the in gear acceleration.

The torque you have now will be huge compared to a petrol car and thats the push in the back stuff.

My dads got a E320Cdi and even normal it goes well.

Brett

Reaction score
Power D8 also available for V8 diesels - closer to £3k though! Turns the ML420CDI into a sub 6s 0-60mph monster!

A210AMG

Reaction score
Role on these cars in 3 years........

I'm there ready to buy

:)

OP
NewMB

NewMB

Reaction score
Role on these cars in 3 years........

I'm there ready to buy

:)

Not a chance.... you can take the power kit out and install in new car. Dealer even told me... this way, you only spend the £1500 once!

As long as you get the same engine.... it will fit.

s5aif

Reaction score
Is there any Kit available for a e320 petol?

A210AMG

Reaction score
S5aif,

Petrol cars with remaps / power box get nothing like what you will get from a derv. My last car a 330 bmw I enquired to a remap and it was around 15bhp. and similar torque, althought you may notice it, its not really worth the extra or wasn't to me anyway.

s5aif

Reaction score
Yeah that is far too little gain. Is there anything available or can be done to increase the bhp more than say 30BHP. Have seen one that birds auto do which increase the BHP by 100BHP but the cost is about £10000 which is too much. Might aswell get a car with higher BHP.

Koi

Reaction score
Now that my new C320 CDI is on order this sounds quite appealing, however, it does raise some questions:

1) Why will they only fit it to a sub 20k mile car?

2) Will the unit cause any additional wear & tear to the engine, even after excessive miles?

3) Approx. what additional costs are added to the premium by the insurance?

(I'm intending keeping mine for 10 years, by which time it should have clocked 200,000+ miles so I'm a little concerned by the long term affects).

OP
NewMB

NewMB

Reaction score
Now that my new C320 CDI is on order this sounds quite appealing, however, it does raise some questions:

1) Why will they only fit it to a sub 20k mile car?

2) Will the unit cause any additional wear & tear to the engine, even after excessive miles?

3) Approx. what additional costs are added to the premium by the insurance?

(I'm intending keeping mine for 10 years, by which time it should have clocked 200,000+ miles so I'm a little concerned by the long term affects).

1. Yes and No. I spoke to Brabus in Germany and they told me that you get full warranty with less than 20000 mls (another warranty with more mls). But the car has to be less than 2 years old. No problem as yours is new.

2. As long as Mercedes UK fits the unit (took 4 hours), you are fully covered under normal warranty. No issues there at all. No, as far as my dealer told me, it does not cause any wear and tear other than "normal". I have been keeping a good eye on my oil level, no extra use.

3. The unit itself cost me £1500 (incl VAT and fitting) at MB Ipswich. Insurance....well, you should tell them. I did, got to pay an additional £250 a year and the excess went up to compulsory £650 (Direct Line).

As a response to the last comment, fit it when new so that you are fully covered. The engine will also get used to the extra power and tourque (so will your right foot). By the time your car would have covered 200K mls, the unit would have paid itself over and over several times.

Insurance is the only thing.... still not so bad I think.

You will NOT regret doing it (despite the costs). Feels like a new car!

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
my understanding is that all these units do is to increase the fuel flow into the engine, possibly increasing the turbo pressure in the process. They must, else how are they going to work?. The upside is clear but the downside is not so obvious.
The extra strain must show somewhere. One of the things I heard of is increased wear to the injectors, causing premature failure and fueling issues. Not major, they can be replaced, but you're likely to be changing them earlier than you would otherwise. The other aspect is that it s putting more power out. That has to increase wear to the bearings and bores over time. Probably not too evident over 100k or so, but I'd imagine increasingly obvious on a 150k+ car.
I'm not saying don't do it, but there has to be a downside - as they say, no such thing as a free lunch.

OP
NewMB

NewMB

Reaction score
my understanding is that all these units do is to increase the fuel flow into the engine, possibly increasing the turbo pressure in the process. They must, else how are they going to work?. The upside is clear but the downside is not so obvious.
The extra strain must show somewhere. One of the things I heard of is increased wear to the injectors, causing premature failure and fueling issues. Not major, they can be replaced, but you're likely to be changing them earlier than you would otherwise. The other aspect is that it s putting more power out. That has to increase wear to the bearings and bores over time. Probably not too evident over 100k or so, but I'd imagine increasingly obvious on a 150k+ car.
I'm not saying don't do it, but there has to be a downside - as they say, no such thing as a free lunch.

Absolutely correct. Nobody has told me about any downsides (would they - trying to sell me this?).

I would think that putting the foot down at every bend, redlight and any possible straight WILL wear alot extra on your car. As an example, before the kit, my car would just about spin if ESP off and foot to the floor from standstill. Since fitting the kit, it will stand and burn! Obviously this will not just wear out your tyres but also put alot of strain to the gearbox and the universal joint.

Common sense is probably the best.... never mind driving sensibly and safely.

toby1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 CL420 C140; 1997 SL500 R129
But then NewMB reports reduced fuel consumption. If it increases fuel flow, how is this achieved too? Intrigued.....

OP
NewMB

NewMB

Reaction score
But then NewMB reports reduced fuel consumption. If it increases fuel flow, how is this achieved too? Intrigued.....

I have not quite understood this either.

But according to the dealer (& the actual guy who fitted it) Brabus, in conjunction with MB, have optimized the fuel injection and burn process to be more effecient. I guess, more efficient does not mean "more" fuel are being injected.

The unit clearly give more power but does not affect CO2 emissions (so tax is same).

The explanation to increase in MPG could be the fact that I drive "normal" even with the powerhike. I do, I admit, accelerate hard at times (when at speed already) and use the manual override often. Overtaking is really a breeze, a gear or two down, overtake, gear or two back up again.

Last week I really got to test the fuel economy, drove approx 300 miles every day and day 1 - 44.4 mpg, day 2 - 41.7 and day 3 - 45.3 Mpg.

Day 2 can be explaned by start/stop on the M6 through B'ham and Manchester.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
S5aif,

Petrol cars with remaps / power box get nothing like what you will get from a derv. My last car a 330 bmw I enquired to a remap and it was around 15bhp. and similar torque, althought you may notice it, its not really worth the extra or wasn't to me anyway.

It's not a question of petrol or derv, it's the turbo charger which is giving all the extra power. If the petrol engine was a turbo, like a Subaru or Mitsubishi, massive gains could be had.

Russ

OP
NewMB

NewMB

Reaction score
It's not a question of petrol or derv, it's the turbo charger which is giving all the extra power. If the petrol engine was a turbo, like a Subaru or Mitsubishi, massive gains could be had.

Russ

Or a Volvo or SaaB.

For example, on a Volvo V70 T5, standard is 260 bhp, you can squeeze out approx 300 with a remap. Becomes very very fast. Still can't handle all that power through the front wheels though!

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs

Ask anyone who bought the first mk 2 diesel Nissan X trail's how many turbos and intercoolers have been replaced. It is not uncommon to find owners with 4 replaced in only 20 or 30 thousand miles. The Mk 1 had 114hp and no turbo problems, which was increased to 136 on the first mk 2's. This caused the turbo to spin faster which destroyed the turbo bearings and seals which resulted in oil leaking into the intercooler and destroying that too. Anyone who has priced a replacement turbo and intercooler will have an idea how much Nissan had to pay for warranty repairs. After replacing turbos and intercoolers and realising the problem was resurfacing 6 months later, the ECU's were remapped as a permenent fix and owners say the cars felt less powerful than before. I've heard stories of BMW's suffering from the same fate. You do not get extra power from the same engine without paying for it somewhere else.

Russ

Top Bottom