S class water drains from windscreen/ top of bonnet

Gonzo

Reaction score
I read somewhere maybee on here or elswhere some guy with a S class had major trouble with electrics caused by the water drains from the windscreen and bonnet grill were blocked.

So I decided to check mine, and I dont park under trees, guess what totaly blocked, and very hard to unblock as they are very narrow.

Here is where to look and how to do it.

Put your bonnet up to the maximum, and on the nearside there is mesh plastic grill with a lift off top, remove that and with a wire coat hanger staighened out push down through the bottom, if it does not run have a gentle fow of water at the same time to flush it through.

The off side one is harder to find, there is a fuse box in the top left hand corner, half way along that and next to the wing, there you will find the hole, a small torch helps, follow the same procedure as the other side.

This took me best part of two hours to do, as they were full of what looked like compost, but in my book well worth doing, to save to potential problems that could occur.

I cant speak for other models, but if you park uner trees, well worth looking at !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thanks for posting,, many a car spoilt when the heater box fills up with water, I do not understand why the drain hole are not larger

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I found the same on my W140 when I got it home. A little prod with a Sketchley dipole and a gentle flow from a hose resulted in two large piles of compost and leafs behind each of the front wheels. I guess these drains are well worth checking occasionally. Are there any others that we should also check and ensure are clear?

Last edited:
OP
G

Gonzo

Reaction score
I found the same on my W140 when I got it home. A little prod with a Sketchley dipole and a gentle flow from a hose resulted in two large piles of compost and leafs behind each of the front wheels. I guess these drains are well worth checking occasionally. Are there any others that we should also check and ensure are clear?

And probably never checked on any servive however much a person paid, all down the the owners to look, but in reality most people live too busy lives to remember such jobs !

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This problem has been with us for MB's of the last 30 years, it is odd as you say never been part of any service, yet can be expensive to fix when not cleared, and true there are many folk out there that would not have a clue about clearing them

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
And probably never checked on any servive however much a person paid, all down the the owners to look, but in reality most people live too busy lives to remember such jobs !

Too true - there are those who never check the oil, and others who can not even open the bonnet. Assuming that this task is a "user/driver" responsibility assumes rather a lot.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom