Bas ESP LIGHT ON OUCH OUCH and OUCH

niterider

Reaction score
When I first came to this forum I asked about the BAS/ESP light being on, and I'm sorry to say that I have forgotten who told me what the cause was:confused:. Well today I took the car to Mercs at Peterborough and after 25mins they came back and have told me that the cause (according to their machine) is the gearbox electrcal plate which requires replacing and also the stop lamp switch the gearbox part is £591.61 inc and the stop light switch is £77.45:( other than I have a happy car;) never mind the car what about the owner cos HE AIN'T Happy. So anyway I rang a friend who is EX Merc trained albeit on commercials he has a SLK 180 (told him about this forum) he has told me his SLK had the very same problem and it's NOT the gearbox plate but to change the Air mass sensor but very strongly reccomended not to buy a cheap one I should contact GSF carparts and buy a bosch one, Thats OK by me another has his partner who works there so I am hoping to get about 60% discount :) on the gearbox part at least.
Heres hoping that I manage to get this sorted out soon.

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Replace the Brake light switch first then see what happens.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
If I've understood this correctly you have a current issue with BAS / ESP light on. I can't see how it can be the Air mass sensor / meter. I have the same issue at present with my C280 V6 and I have a new brak light switch ready to fit. I understand from this forum and other sources that it's the brake light switch which usually causes this problem

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes brake light switch at £10 and easy to fit must be the first thing to try. The ESP BAS etc is nothing to do with the engine as such, though a missing speed signal can put it into the limp home mode

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Def. worth changing brake light switch first. £10 and about 10 mins should do it. I wouldn't start spending big money until you have at least tried the switch first. As per other posters, if it is just the lights on the dash, I can't see how it could be a gearbox electrical problem.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
the stop light switch is £77.45:(
Ouch is right. £10 for the part and 1/2 hour labour (£60) for a mechanic to reach under the dash and pop it on.
DIY, find an indie or even get a normal mechanic to do the switch. Its a really easy job and shouldn't cost you more than £25 all in!

OP
N

niterider

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys to this problem, I'm off to Cambridge this morning to make the purchase, so as they "watch this space " and I will let you know the results later today hopefully they will be good.

Regards

Dave

Stu_CDX

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys to this problem, I'm off to Cambridge this morning to make the purchase, so as they "watch this space " and I will let you know the results later today hopefully they will be good.

Regards

Dave

Good luck with Cambridge Mercedes. They're the ones near the football ground and marshalls airport...

A bunch of ****** snobs and to be honest, not worth the time of day. I'd find a nicer dealer TBH... They might even fit it FOC!

OP
N

niterider

Reaction score
Hi stuart, I had to go to Cambridge as I was picking up a spare from my caravan dealer who is also in cambridge so killed two birds with one stone. but yes they are a load of snobs and more expensive that Peterborough they wanted £95.00 + vat to do the test that the others did for £43.00.

OH well just been out and nothing has changed the little perishing light is still on. I have some neat alcohol so I'll try to clean the airsensor tomorrow

Last edited:

ae1whia

Reaction score
hi
Thought I would let you know my bas/abs/no cruise control/limp mode saga:

After being parked up for 2 weeks my 98 w202 c180 was started and after 200 yds the dash lit up with eng management and bas/abs. It would not change from 2nd gear either.
This was a worry as I had a 150 mile journey to do.... I stopped and restarted and the light stayed on but was able to drive home normally. Next day I checked the forum for advice and changed the brake switch (£8). problem still there. I then had the codes read at an indie, diagnosis was rear nearside abs sensor. Bought this (£56) and fitted it myself in half an hour. Fault was still there.
I took the wheel off again and had a closer look and there it was hanging off the half shaft... yes abs reluctor ring was split.
I was quoted £600 ponds for a new shaft as " you cant get the ring by itself"

After a search on here I found the webite www.reluctorrings.co.uk
They didnt do a ring for the C180 but I called them and they agreed to make one for £50 if I sent them the old one.
This I did and a few days later had a shiny new one delivered.
Very good service indeed. This was fitted by my local garage (2hrs labour very reasonable) and I now have a dash free of warning lights and a safer car too.
Just to say thanks to the forum for all the great free info.

Cheers

Andy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Handy to know about that firm and I have bookmarked it for other folk

OP
N

niterider

Reaction score
Well replacing the stop light switch has not worked in this time, so now I am going to replace the air sensor in the inlet side just behind the filter, This on advice from a friend who although has a slk 180 has had exactly the same symptoms has mine. Today I had a look at the air sensor to see if it was possible to clean it as I said earlier but this can't be done as it is a sealed unit, much to my annoiance this is now causing the car to run like a bag of pooh.

Comments or ideas from any one please

ae1whia

Reaction score
You could try getting the fault codes read, wouldn't cost a lot. This will get you straight to the problem. If you are replacing the air sensor only buy a bosch one, cheap ones cause more trouble.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The sensors seldom clean, as the sensor itself goes out of spec due to the environment that it lives in

Hertfordshire Merx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160
Sounds like you really need to get it diagnosed properly once and for all. Your accumulating expence now buy potentially damaging components which may not need to be disturbed at all especially for a BAS fault.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like you really need to get it diagnosed properly once and for all. Your accumulating expence now buy potentially damaging components which may not need to be disturbed at all especially for a BAS fault.

We have a high jacked posting here, the OP had the BAS fault and solved it, niterider joined it with a different fault, and I do not fully understand his fault

OP
N

niterider

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well I scored Ebay and found a replacement air flow mass sensor £29.99 + £6.00 P+P ordered it yesterday then went to work and on the way home the car would do 0-60 in 30 mins had a slepp new part has arrived/fitted in 10 mins now car does 0-60 in 6.5seconds job sorted

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all,
Well I scored Ebay and found a replacement air flow mass sensor £29.99 + £6.00 P+P ordered it yesterday then went to work and on the way home the car would do 0-60 in 30 mins had a slepp new part has arrived/fitted in 10 mins now car does 0-60 in 6.5seconds job sorted

I hope that the Ebay version last well,,would you care to name the seller please

8thumpers

Reaction score
Website
www.atarukarate.co.uk
try this: I had same prob on my ML270. 1st try the rear washer to check it sprays ok.
Open the fuse box lid under the engine bay. Have a look at the relays and find the ABS control one - its on the right hand side. Then find the rear washer relay - just above it to the left. They are both the same relay - swap them over with the ignition off. They just pull out, no clips. now try the rear washer. If it dosent work you have a faulty abs relay. The lights went out and abs/etc returned to full working order.
Just for info an indy said i needed a new abs pump at about £1500!! Dont believe the fault codes they will only tell you what area the problem is, not the exact part failure in that circuit. Oh - I had already tried the brake switch swap to no avail.

Top Bottom